Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] The First Litecoin PPS Pool (litecoinpool.org) - page 69. (Read 226967 times)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Litecoinpool.org now still hold 30% hash rate, which is still pretty high.
Because attacker love ddosing litecoinpool.org as primary target, my suggestion is to raise the fee a bit to 6.5% and use the 1.5% fee to get a better server, if possible or as emergency funds if something bad happened (mining pool get hacked).

With 6.5% fee, maybe some people will move to other mining server or create their own.

You can reduce the fee back to normal again after things back to normal - more mining pool created, or some people leave to other server.
Activity: 838
Merit: 507
You guys lost a lot of business because of this DDoS attack.  I couldn't get to the website or use it reliably for last two weeks.
Attack started on July 18, and stopped on July 23. The pool has been hashing without major interruptions since then.

My total hashing power is over 1mh.  Not great, but not minor at this point in the game.  I'm sure you lost a good bit, and I REALLY hope you guys have some sort of resource to take legal action.  At the very least, you can make your attacker(s) public if you know what happened.  
Unfortunately I have no proof to convict the attacker.

Also, has your pool upped it's share target yet?
This pool has been serving variable-difficulty targets for over a month, and I've received very positive feedback from miners about that.
If I just increased the share difficulty (which means lowering the target), the speed estimates of slower miners would become very inaccurate.
That's why some time ago I decided to start serving work with a target that is appropriate to the speed of the miner asking for it. This doesn't affect your rewards in any way, since shares are weighted, and counted according to their difficulty. On the other hand, it allows to keep accurate worker statistics while drastically reducing bandwidth. Best of both worlds. Smiley

I used to get errors/stales with reaper at litecoinpool that I didn't with Ozcoin.
Ozcoin only changed their share target a week ago, so your problem may be unrelated to this.

I like the PPS better, and would like to switch, but I don't want to go to work/bed and find out that my miner sat for 12 hours+ doing nothing again.
You should not have to worry about that. Just setup failover options and relax.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Any update? or is this pool dead now?

Not at all. Pool has been hashing as much as allowed by the recent DDoS attacks.
You guys lost a lot of business because of this DDoS attack.  I couldn't get to the website or use it reliably for last two weeks.  My total hashing power is over 1mh.  Not great, but not minor at this point in the game.  I'm sure you lost a good bit, and I REALLY hope you guys have some sort of resource to take legal action.  At the very least, you can make your attacker(s) public if you know what happened.  

Also, has your pool upped it's share target yet?  I used to get errors/stales with reaper at litecoinpool that I didn't with Ozcoin.  I like the PPS better, and would like to switch, but I don't want to go to work/bed and find out that my miner sat for 12 hours+ doing nothing again.

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your pool, and think it is the best designed one out there so far.  It is why I'm concerned about it.

Not at all. Pool has been hashing as much as allowed by the recent DDoS attacks.
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
Learn as you go...
Let me pretense this with saying I know little about the complexities of running a server.

But maybe as a temporary measure could you set up the server only to accept incoming requests from an ip if its on a list of trusted ips, esentaly making the pool privet. You then manualy adding and ip if someone was to make a request to use the pool?

All of this is just what I think of when i think about a dos attack, if its completly rediculese just explane to me why  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Unfortunately pooler is right, what I was thinking of only helps against a single attacker not a whole botnet. You would simply discard all syn-packets if the amount per source exeeds a certain threshold.

I'd contact the ISP what they suggest since they have access to routers further down the line and it would be in their interest to resolve it.
Activity: 413
Merit: 250
If this is just synflooding there are some simple iptables rules which might help you. It will increase overall latency but at least you can get back to work.

Do you have some examples for this? I'd love to see them.
If this is just synflooding there are some simple iptables rules which might help you. It will increase overall latency but at least you can get back to work.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The pipe to the server is filled by DDoS traffic.
People on IRC have been suggesting various solutions, but none of them is viable.
legendary
Still Ddos attack going on?
I cant connect to site for the past 2 days

Yes, the attack is still ongoing.
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
Still Ddos attack going on?
I cant connect to site for the past 2 days
legendary
DDoS attack in progress. Not sure what the attacker is trying to achieve.
Well you are running the deepbit of litecoin.
DDoS attack in progress. Not sure what the attacker is trying to achieve.
If you experience difficulties connecting to the pool, don't worry, it's just an ongoing DDOS attack.

Edit: The attack only lasted a few minutes. Everything back to normal.
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
why I just get invalid shares by poolmining?
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Minds are like parachutes they work best when open
why has the litecoin forum gone dead?
Due to technical problems, we experienced about 5 hours of downtime between 4 am and 9 am UTC today.
The pool is now back up and hashing.

Remember that you can easily avoid downtimes by setting up a failover script for cpuminer. An example is available here.
As was announced yesterday, the PPS fee is now 5%.
The pool is now back to being about 35% of the network, but I think this percentage is still too high.
I would like to convince people to try out the other pools, so I am going to raise the fee to 5%.
In the past few days we got a very high number of orphaned blocks (because of the recent attacks), so this will also help to cover the pool's losses.

The fee change will take effect tomorrow.

There are currently 9 Litecoin pools to choose from:
https://github.com/coblee/litecoin/wiki/Comparison-of-mining-pools

Pie chart of hashing power distribution:
http://pool-x.eu/net
Pages:
Jump to: