Pages:
Author

Topic: CGminer v3.8.5 on Broadcom based DD-WRT / OpenWRT - page 16. (Read 76917 times)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Looks like it could. Processor and mem is a bit low, but I think should be just about sufficient.

dd-wrt wiki:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_WL-520GU

Thanks, I found one at a garage sale for $5.  I'll give it a try later.
legendary
Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198
This is not OK.
Looks like it could. Processor and mem is a bit low, but I think should be just about sufficient.

dd-wrt wiki:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_WL-520GU
Activity: 48
I am hoping someone here can answer.

After a bit of research I still can't find out if the ASUS WL-520gU wireless router
uses the correct chipset to run CGminer from this thread?

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks
legendary
This is not OK.
Look at the samba tutorials on dd-wrt website.
You can also enable samba via the web interface.
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
ok got my e3000 with dd-wrt and even installed optware and it works fine, but now I am stuck... the instructions say to copy files to the storage device;
(Unpack the mipsel CGminer package. (Suggest you copy the .tar.gz to the router and untar it there)

but I have no idea how to do that over the telnet, I am also not a linux person so I have no idea what to do there either. Any help would be apreciated, thanks.
legendary
This is not OK.
@p_shep what is with my pm? No anwser?

Ah right, forgot about that!
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
@p_shep what is with my pm? No anwser?
legendary
This is not OK.
When I was first fiddling about with cgminer on a router I enabled CPU mining just to test it out. It didn't submit a single share in the hour or two I left it on. It took so long a long poll would come through and wipe out the work before it completed.
As to dedicated hardware to do the job... that feasible, but even if there was a hardware SHA256, I think the processor that does that (wireless) and the routing etc., is separate from the CPU, so I don't know how practice it might really be as far as getting the work done. Then you get into the whole Broadcom doesn't release their datasheets thing.
Activity: 165
Merit: 100
No it doesn't, and if it did, I would imagine the speed would be ca. 0.1MH/s -- in other words, totally pointless.
I'm not so certain about that.  Routers handle some pretty heavy loads when it comes to encryption and decryption.  Remember, they handle WPA2 with AES in heavy numbers per second.  Keeping that in mind, it wouldn't be totally careless to think they could handle some SHA-256 as well at a decent rate.  If so, we could be looking at lower-cost hashing power.
I ran p_shep's cgminer on a e3000 without any hashing hardware connected and it errors out. So, AFAICT, mining on the broadcom 480MHz processor isn't possible at the moment.

It's certainly an interesting idea, if a dedicated router could SHA-256 hash quickly. I think it's negligible though because unless there's onboard dedicated hardware for SHA512 hashes (AFAIK, no routers have this -- and if they did the mining community would have found and bought them), it will be CPU mining with a 480MHz processor which just isn't that fast (esp. without difficult assembly optimizations).
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
No it doesn't, and if it did, I would imagine the speed would be ca. 0.1MH/s -- in other words, totally pointless.
I'm not so certain about that.  Routers handle some pretty heavy loads when it comes to encryption and decryption.  Remember, they handle WPA2 with AES in heavy numbers per second.  Keeping that in mind, it wouldn't be totally careless to think they could handle some SHA-256 as well at a decent rate.  If so, we could be looking at lower-cost hashing power.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Hey, does this allow the actual Broadcom chip to be used for hashing as well?  Or does it only allow the router to be used to send out the work to the child devices as the parent?  And, if it does do hashing itself, what numbers are we seeing out of these?
Activity: 57
Asus RT-N10U is around 20€ cheaper. CPU is Broadcom BCM5357@300
   should work... maybe ^^
GoldZuGeld: I believe p_shep uses an e3000 - I am using one as well and can recommend it (WEP encryption issues notwithstanding...)

In the README file, it says:
Code:
Copy all the scripts  to    /opt/etc/init.d             (S45serialmodules, cgminer.sh, S80cgminer)
I cannot find S80cgminer. Perhaps it is no longer included and the README needs updating? Please advise  Grin
which routers can you recommend for this project?

do you mean with cpu problem the difference between big and little endian?

edit: ok 2 possibilities here:
  - buy the cheapest broadcom modell: seems to be linksys e3000 oder e3200
  - hope to get a big endian version to use tplink routers.
legendary
This is not OK.
To make things clear:

The binaries included here WILL NOT WORK with TP link devices. They are a different processor.

I did try to compile for this processor, but I couldn't get everything to compile. I could get libUSB (for ztex) and cgminer to compile, but not ftdi_sio.ko (serial driver for BFL).

Since I don't have a TP link device, I'm giving up. Nothing I produce I could test anyway.

Your best bet is to contact xiangfu and ask him nicely (read: ply him with bitcoins) to maintain it.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
I'm trying too but i have to start from scratch (linux is not my domain )
can you explain what the problem is?
I want to buy a quad and one of the tplink routers in the next weeks Smiley
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
not yet...

Sad
did someone have sucess with ztex quad and tplink routers?
Pages:
Jump to: