Pages:
Author

Topic: ... - page 3. (Read 4341 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
July 22, 2015, 11:22:34 AM
Just when you think things are getting simpler, then all on a sudden incidents like this appear. these kind of incidents make a bad impression on the outside world and bitcoin community.

Thats exactly the reason of this shutting down. Dont believe BS the feds say about the charges. The point isnt about to charge the owners,

THis they are all just a bunch of pigs that have been told by there masters what to do.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
July 22, 2015, 11:20:12 AM
So what happens to the customers balances? Will they be held by the feds until they figure out the money trails?

it well end the same as mtgox the whole amount will be auctioned, or otherwise if they can prove that those coins come from their wallet, they can consider something like 20%, like kraken did with mtgox?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
July 22, 2015, 09:57:22 AM
Just when you think things are getting simpler, then all on a sudden incidents like this appear. these kind of incidents make a bad impression on the outside world and bitcoin community.

Thats exactly the reason of this shutting down. Dont believe BS the feds say about the charges. The point isnt about to charge the owners,
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
AltoCenter.com
July 22, 2015, 09:27:19 AM
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
July 22, 2015, 09:24:44 AM
So what happens to the customers balances? Will they be held by the feds until they figure out the money trails?
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
www.bitcart.io
July 22, 2015, 09:13:55 AM
Once your account reaches a certain level of activity, Coinbase ask you a number of questions as to how you are funding your account to buy btc and what they are for. So this makes them compliant with AML.

Coinbase is unlikely to be shut down. It is refusing to do business with people in certain states because they are afraid of breaking their local regulations. It's extremely paranoid about who it does business with and people have had their accounts closed for buying from Coinbase and then selling on Local Bitcoins. It probably reports anything and everything just to comply with regulations.

Yeah I agree, Coinbase are overly cautious with their compliance of regulations.
Activity: 176
July 22, 2015, 08:44:15 AM
Once your account reaches a certain level of activity, Coinbase ask you a number of questions as to how you are funding your account to buy btc and what they are for. So this makes them compliant with AML.

Coinbase is unlikely to be shut down. It is refusing to do business with people in certain states because they are afraid of breaking their local regulations. It's extremely paranoid about who it does business with and people have had their accounts closed for buying from Coinbase and then selling on Local Bitcoins. It probably reports anything and everything just to comply with regulations.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1003
--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77
July 22, 2015, 08:25:33 AM
This might be the first time a Bitcoin trader was arrested without any obvious connections to crimes or drug money. The only crime in the 18 page legal document is a customer bought bitcoins for ransomware, which isn't a big deal. If someone used visa to pay ransomeware I'm sure the government wouldn't arrest the visa executives.

It's not the first time, not even close. A legendary member here was arrested for trading Bitcoin on LocalBitcoin (charges dropped).
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/burtw-arrested-update-charges-dropped-934268

I believe you are right, FEDs are clamping down hard on trading without license and KYC compliance. That is the reason I have high hopes for legit exchanges like Gemini. They are taking forever to come online, but I think a few of those around the world (in large cities with solid legal framework) would set a new scene for Bitcoin.
www.bitcart.io
July 22, 2015, 07:49:10 AM
www.bitcart.io
July 22, 2015, 07:43:16 AM

It's not really new though. If you operate an exchange in a state you don't have right paperwork for.... you are asking to be in trouble.  It's considered money laundering.

I mean this happened before with another exchange look at Charile Shrim - http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoins-first-felon-charlie-shrem-begins-2-year-sentence/
This is not even close to the same situation. Charlie Shrem was directly connected to silk road drug money, also he wasn't a true exchange like coin.mx is.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to Coinbase...

Coinbase comply with regulations (maybe even more than they need to) so they won't get shut down.
Activity: 78
July 22, 2015, 07:08:31 AM

Just more bad press for Bitcoin.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
July 22, 2015, 06:10:02 AM
Indeed, US is probably one of (or the) worst country to operate in without proper licenses.   Lips sealed
legendary
Activity: 1456
July 22, 2015, 06:05:37 AM

It's not really new though. If you operate an exchange in a state you don't have right paperwork for.... you are asking to be in trouble.  It's considered money laundering.

I mean this happened before with another exchange look at Charile Shrim - http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoins-first-felon-charlie-shrem-begins-2-year-sentence/
Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
July 22, 2015, 06:02:56 AM
This is a well predicted behavior of the US government in my opinion. In the US everything has to be regulated and whatever poses a danger to the current system will in my opinion be attacked and extinguished.

I hope they don't act the same on Bitcoin but this is more likely than the other, positive behavior.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009
July 22, 2015, 03:24:31 AM
This is kind've a big deal

Make me unsee it Cry
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
July 22, 2015, 03:16:34 AM
Are Bittrex, Cryptsy and Poloniex in danger of being shut down by the Feds?

not cryptsy, they said they have every regulation needed to operate legally, i don't know about bittrex, but i would assume that intelligent operators know that governments are watching them if they deal with fiat and would take precautions
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
July 22, 2015, 01:15:26 AM
Are Bittrex, Cryptsy and Poloniex in danger of being shut down by the Feds?
Activity: 197
July 22, 2015, 12:44:45 AM
Pages:
Jump to: