Pages:
Author

Topic: ... - page 13. (Read 60963 times)

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
August 27, 2015, 10:20:45 AM
Not sure if you are being disingenuous or you really don't understand. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the latter.

BIP101 activates *only* if XT has >75% of hashing power.

No, it activates when >75% of the last 1000 blocks *say* they were mined by XT. That can happen with less than 75% of the hash power saying they are running XT, and you also can't assume that just a block was mined by XT just because it says it was. It is quite possible for me to mine blocks saying I'm willing to accept "big blocks" when I'm actually not.

Only gamblers would run XT marked mining operations without accepting larger blocks. I for one don't believe that a significant amount of hashing power will choose to risk the outcome of a contentious hard fork that they would clearly be responsible for by their deceiptful indication of larger block support. Not a likely scenario IMO.
The only pool producing XT blocks is apparently doing exactly that - just marking them as "XT version" and no more.
See slush's comments about his pool.

But more importantly, no pool in their right mind would be running the XT code yet.
The XT code has been severely lacking in testing compared to normal Core code changes.

Fair enough. No pool in mid-January 2016 will be marking XT blocks but not actually running BIP 101 compatible blocksize code. Do you disagree with this? There is no good reason to do this, unless your plan is to go short Bitcoin when a very contentious fork happens. Any pool doing this would suffer greatly from community backlash afterward.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
August 27, 2015, 09:56:01 AM
From Bitcoin's point of view, XT's "big blocks" don't exist, so the question of whether or not it can orphan them is moot. Core will continue to work on the longest valid chain, and that doesn't include any chain with blocks greater than 1MB in it.

That is not "Bitcoin's point of view".  Please admit that there will be two (or more) implementations of bitcoin, each intending to be "the" Bitcoin.  It is not objective or technically productive to decide from the start that the Core version is the right one, and the others are altcoins, no matter how much support each version gets.

I don't think it's helpful to refer to both the existing protocol and Mike's 8 GB block limit monstrosity both as "Bitcoin". It makes discussion difficult. When I talk about "Bitcoin" I mean the system we currently have, in which there is a blocksize limit of 1 MB. That Bitcoin is the own which doesn't see the invalid blocks.

Besides, the precise software that miners are running, what formulas they user, how they trigger the changes, what is their schedule for the following year -- all that is irrelevant.  The only thing that matters is how many miners accept blocks greater than 1 MB, and how many reject them.  So, instead of "XT" and "Core", it is better to say "big-blockian" and "small-blockian".  

The number of miners accepting invalid blocks doesn't matter. Their blocks will be rejected anyway unless you're running the XT fork.

The longest valid chain accepted by Core *is* the longest valid chain, by definition.

Of course not; that is the longest valid chain *only for Core*.  For implementations that accept bigger blocks, bigger blocks are (of course) valid, so the longest valid chain may be a different one.

And for implementations of dogecoin, dogecoin blocks are valid. What's your point? For Bitcoin core, 2 MB blocks are invalid no matter how many miners mine them.

Litecoin forked from Bitcoin.

Er, um, a mathematician would agree, I guess.  Their blockchains share zero blocks, and zero is a number, too.

The software forked, not the blockchain.

It will not be easy to use the two chains independently, because all transactions are in principle executed on both chains.  (That is another reason why they cannot be called "altcoins".)  Only transactions that spend coins mined after the fork will be executed exclusively on the same branch.

The XT chain will quickly become polluted with outputs which are invalid on the BTC chain. "Taint" from coinbases generated only on the XT chain will fan out.

Have you read BIP101? It proposes jumping the blocksize limit to 8 MB next year, and then doubling of the blocksize limit every 2 years, for 20 years. That gives us 8192 MB blocks in 21 years. And that's what the sane bitcoiners should want?

Sigh, it wlll NOT give 8 MB blocks next year, nor 8 GB blocks 21 years from now.  Those are block size LIMITS.  Bitcoin had a 32 MB block size LIMIT for almost 2 years at the beginnig, but teeny weeny block SIZES.  In fact it had a 1 MB size LIMIT since then, and yet the average block SIZE is still 0.45 MB.

It is sickening to see the small-blockians invariably replace LIMIT by SIZE in their arguments.  Who is being disingenuous?

I wrote "limit" twice in the sentence you are complaining about.

If the block SIZEs ever get close to 8 GB, it means that the traffic is 15'000 times what it is today, which ma mean a user base of hundreds of millions.

No, it doesn't. Any miner can create a full block by generating their own transactions for free.

But I do agree that BIP101's schedule is stupid: it is silly to plan parameter changes several years in advance, when no one knows even whether bitcoin will survive to next year.

Good. Then please stop arguing in its favour. The sooner it dies, the better. We need to reject this and find a proper solution.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
August 27, 2015, 09:29:59 AM
All the BIPs are a pathetic attempt at reproducing the lame presidential elections soup we all get served.

You think you have a choice? You dont.

To believe that voting is going to help the situation, is the same as forking will improve bitcoin. But it just wont.

And big corps, banksters et al. will win again. and again.. and friggin again.

that just sounds like you are fear driven and frustrated.
i dont see ANY argument in this.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002
August 27, 2015, 09:22:13 AM
All the BIPs are a pathetic attempt at reproducing the lame presidential elections soup we all get served.

You think you have a choice? You dont.

To believe that voting is going to help the situation, is the same as forking will improve bitcoin. But it just wont.

And big corps, banksters et al. will win again. and again.. and friggin again.
August 27, 2015, 08:46:03 AM
Lol you wish. Hows that ad hom extrapolations from some date to élude the fact you are a frustrated poor little kiddo, that does not have bitcoins best valuation at heart and would rather see its fall in the hands of big corporations that want to centraliaze It by forking it. You statist derp.

why cant you accept that some people (like me) thinks that bigger blocks are needed to raise bitcoins value?

i do respect that you think thats not the case. but as long as you dont accept my stance you cant change my mind (or anybody elses for that matter).

imho i dont understand that hole drama. just wait and see whats happen:
 - if bitcoin forks: so be it. we have both coins then
 - if it doesnt fork: who cares

all that forum drama and rhetorics (imho mostly started from mpex himself; but i maybe wrong about that) are the reason why it has dropped so hard. not that i really care: i am here for the long term. and long term hasnt change anything.
legendary
August 27, 2015, 08:42:17 AM
Ahah cant even compare two dates. Like Gavin and his block size picking. xD

Note that even back then i was no noob gettin bfled knced etc.. Wink
legendary
August 27, 2015, 08:40:50 AM
Lol you wish. Hows that ad hom extrapolations from some date to élude the fact you are a frustrated poor little kiddo, that does not have bitcoins best valuation at heart and would rather see its fall in the hands of big corporations that want to centraliaze It by forking it. You statist derp.
August 27, 2015, 08:34:10 AM

Says the guy who got involved buying miners when bitcoin was about $1100 a coin...   How did that work out for ya, champ?

You started out so positive, so hopeful. I guess bitcoin hasn't been too good a ride for you,  n'est-ce pas ?   Grin

seems like a very good deal to buy a miner when bitcoin was at 1100$?
ofc this is assuming he already owned that btc (which is likely considering is accont age)
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Warning: Confrmed Gavinista
August 27, 2015, 08:31:13 AM
If Fork is issued by Bitcoin XT, it becomes another Altcoin.  The Bitcoin Core is the only one Original BTC.

true, but who would care about an original bitcoin with hours between new blocks? a transaction backlog that huge that even servers cant store the UTXO?

no one Wink

(btw this is true for *any* fork of the bitcoin blockchain)

Who cares about free transactions? Im holding anyway and by then wont be annoyed paying a little to transfer big money when ever, where ever, to who ever.

the point is you cant... because none of your beloved elitist-mpex-lovers would ever touch mining hardware.

where did i wrote anything about free transactions? even with 1TB blocks miners are not forced to put free transactions in a block (and they would be dumb if they do as soon as the block reward is too low ofc)

Ah thèse guys are all in for +100k$/btc. You seem not. So pardon me for suggesting to go fork yourself.

Says the guy who got involved buying miners when bitcoin was about $1100 a coin...   How did that work out for ya, champ?

You started out so positive, so hopeful. I guess bitcoin hasn't been too good a ride for you,  n'est-ce pas ?   Grin
August 27, 2015, 08:24:27 AM
Ah thèse guys are all in for +100k$/btc. You seem not. So pardon me for suggesting to go fork yourself.

i did... and my child is wonderful; thanks for the tip Cheesy

edit: do you know whats really funny? in case of a fork she will own some of your (expected) 100k$ btc AND some biggerblock-btc (which i consider real btc too; but anyway)

but most probably you'll only own "real" "original" btc... i'd say we win in any case.
legendary
August 27, 2015, 08:21:52 AM
If Fork is issued by Bitcoin XT, it becomes another Altcoin.  The Bitcoin Core is the only one Original BTC.

true, but who would care about an original bitcoin with hours between new blocks? a transaction backlog that huge that even servers cant store the UTXO?

no one Wink

Who cares about free transactions? Im holding anyway and by then wont be annoyed paying a little to transfer big money when ever, where ever, to who ever.

the point is you cant... because none of your beloved elitist-mpex-lovers would ever touch mining hardware.

where did i wrote anything about free transactions? even with 1TB blocks miners are not forced to put free transactions in a block (and they would be dumb if they do as soon as the block reward is too low ofc)

August 27, 2015, 07:39:11 AM

no one Wink

legendary
August 27, 2015, 07:29:08 AM

no one Wink

August 27, 2015, 07:14:53 AM

no one Wink

Activity: 616
Merit: 500
August 27, 2015, 07:10:23 AM
Activity: 323
The lion roars!
August 27, 2015, 05:38:14 AM
Bitcoin XT is rat poison. Why people would choose an operative like Hearn to be their central banker is beyond me.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
August 27, 2015, 03:20:40 AM
... WTF? ...
Lulz - we are talking about bitcoin and XT in here.
No idea what coin you want or what you are talking about as you already stated before your topic is not bitcoin.
... a lot of that post is either OT or you just don't understand bitcoin and block sizes - your comments about 1MB are best relegated to: WTF are you talking about?
legendary
August 27, 2015, 03:09:59 AM
Oh god peter r and stofli combo attack!

Hide your kids! Hide your coinz!
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
August 27, 2015, 03:05:35 AM
From Bitcoin's point of view, XT's "big blocks" don't exist, so the question of whether or not it can orphan them is moot. Core will continue to work on the longest valid chain, and that doesn't include any chain with blocks greater than 1MB in it.

This is not true according to the original design of Bitcoin.  There is no mention of a block size limit in the Bitcoin white paper.  The original design was such that (paraphrased):

- Nodes assemble valid transactions into a block and work to find a proof-of-work.

- Nodes express their acceptance of a new block by mining on top of it.

- The longest chain composed of valid transactions is "Bitcoin."  

By making it easier for nodes to "express their acceptance of a block" (e.g., for blocks larger than 1 MB via BIP101), we are making it easier for the network to come to consensus according to the original design of Bitcoin.

The block size limit was just a temporary anti-spam measure that crept into the consensus layer inadvertently.  Bitcoin was designed to prevent Alice from moving coins without a valid signature, prevent Bob from creating coins out of thin air, and prevent Charlie from spending his coins twice.  It wasn't designed to create block space scarcity to push TXs to off-chain solutions. 

The longest valid chain accepted by Core *is* the longest valid chain, by definition.

False.  The longest valid chain accepted by Core *is* the longest valid chain accepted by Core, by truism.  

The longest chain composed of valid transactions *is* the correct one, according to the Satoshi white paper.  
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
August 27, 2015, 02:53:42 AM

That is not "Bitcoin's point of view".  Please admit that there will be two (or more) implementations of bitcoin, each intending to be "the" Bitcoin.  It is not objective or technically productive to decide from the start that the Core version is the right one, and the others are altcoins, no matter how much support each version gets.

Besides, the precise software that miners are running, what formulas they user, how they trigger the changes, what is their schedule for the following year -- all that is irrelevant.  The only thing that matters is how many miners accept blocks greater than 1 MB, and how many reject them.  So, instead of "XT" and "Core", it is better to say "big-blockian" and "small-blockian".  

(Let's assume that there are only two size limits competing, say 8 MB and 1 MB. Things are already complicated enough in that case.  If there are three or more candidates for the limit, then it matters how many miners choose each candidate.)

If, at that moment, more than 50% of the miners accept big blocks, the big-block branch (mined by them) will eventually grow faster than the small-block branch (mined by the rest of the miners).  The split will be permanent and the big-block branch will grow faster.

Why would the split be permanent? Miners are free to switch between chains at any point, and will mine whichever chain gives them the best payouts. If XTcoin is valued significantly below Bitcoin then miners will switch back to mining Bitcoin and the Bitcoin chain will catch and outgrow the XT chain.

In theory perhaps the two coins could survive with separate identites.  In practice, that will be extremely unlikely.

It will not be easy to use the two chains independently, because all transactions are in principle executed on both chains.  (That is another reason why they cannot be called "altcoins".)  Only transactions that spend coins mined after the fork will be executed exclusively on the same branch.  So it will be difficult to find buyers and exchanges for each coin separately.  Rather, just as miners will want to have a common size policy, the exchanges will want to accept the winning version only.

Have you read BIP101? It proposes jumping the blocksize limit to 8 MB next year, and then doubling of the blocksize limit every 2 years, for 20 years. That gives us 8192 MB blocks in 21 years. And that's what the sane bitcoiners should want?

Sigh, it wlll NOT give 8 MB blocks next year, nor 8 GB blocks 21 years from now.  Those are block size LIMITS.  Bitcoin had a 32 MB block size LIMIT for almost 2 years at the beginnig, but teeny weeny block SIZES.  In fact it had a 1 MB size LIMIT since then, and yet the average block SIZE is still 0.45 MB.

It is sickening to see the small-blockians invariably replace LIMIT by SIZE in their arguments.  Who is being disingenuous?

If the block SIZEs ever get close to 8 GB, it means that the traffic is 15'000 times what it is today, which ma mean a user base of hundreds of millions. Then of course the block size LIMIT would HAVE to be greater than 8 GB.

Anyway, 21 years is a long time.  Who would have imagined the Chinese mining farms, a mere 6 years ago?

But I do agree that BIP101's schedule is stupid: it is silly to plan parameter changes several years in advance, when no one knows even whether bitcoin will survive to next year.  The block size limit should be raised to 8 MB (say) as soon as practical, but without any automatic increases thereafter.  If an when the blocks start to get more than 30% full (say) the limit should be raised again by another hard fork, to the appropriate size.  Hopefully there will not be opposition, that time.

Pages:
Jump to: