Pages:
Author

Topic: ... - page 8. (Read 60963 times)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
August 30, 2015, 12:47:24 PM
you can only wonder what new "features" will be in it, given Hearn's clear bias for centralized trust-based systems.

Based on Hearn's previous proposals, and his complete control over XT, potential features include:

- Automatic updates
- Redlists
- Blacklists
- Whitelists
- Coin tainting

Bitcoin's CTO calls out [email protected] and [email protected] for being epic shitlords:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010439.html

[bitcoin-dev] Bitcoin XT Fork
Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Aug 19 16:53:13 UTC 2015

It seems to be a recurring meme that BIP 101 is somehow "a solution
put forward" where BIP 100, 102, 103, flexcap, extension blocks etc
etc are not.

That is not at ALL the case, and is insulting (present company excluded).

It is just that no one else is reckless enough to bypass the review
process and risk a controversial hard fork deployment war.  Myself and
many other people warned Gavin a network fork "war" would start (ie
someone would think of some way to sabotage or attack the deployment
of Bitcoin-XT via protocol, code, policy, consensus soft-fork etc.  He
ignored the warnings.  Many also warned that 75% was an optimally BAD
trigger ratio (and that in a hard fork it is not a miner vote really
as in soft-forks).  Gavin & Mike ignored that warning to.  I know they
heard those warnings because I told them 1:1 in person or via email
and had on going conversations.  Others did too.

People can not blame bitcoin core or me, that this then predictably
happened exactly as we said it would - it was completely obvious and
predictable.

In fact noBitcoinXT is even more dangerous and therefore amplified in
effect in creating mutual assured destruction kind of risk profile
than the loose spectrum of technical counters imagined.  I did not
personally put much effort into thinking about counters because I
though it counter productive and hoped that Gavin & Mike would have
the maturity to not start down such a path.

Again any of the other proposals can easily be implemented.  They
*could* also spin up a web page and put up binaries, however no one
else was crazy enough to try to start a deployment in that way.

It is also puzzling timing - with all these BIPs and ongoing
discussion and workshops coming imminently to then release ahead of
that process where as far as I know Gavin said he was equally happy
with BIP 100 or other proposal which ever is best, and on basically
the eve of workshops planned to progress this collaboratively.
Bitcoin-XT is also under tested, people are finding privacy bugs and
other issues.  (Not even mentioning the above 75% optimally bad
parameter, and the damage to community reputation and collaborative
environment that this all causes.)

Very disappointing Gavin and Mike.

I find it quite notable that Gavin and Mike have been radio silent on
the bitcoin-dev list and yet we see a stream of media articles, blog
posts, pod casts, and from what I can tell ongoing backroom lobbying
of companies to run bitcoin-XT without trying AT ALL to offer a
neutral or balanced or multi proposal information package so that
companies technical people can make a balanced informed decision.
That is what the workshops are trying to provide.

Gavin, Mike - anything to say here?

Adam

Just for completeness, here's the reply.
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010496.html
Mike Hearn hearn at vinumeris.com
Thu Aug 20 09:00:14 UTC 2015

>
> It is just that no one else is reckless enough to bypass the review process

I keep seeing this notion crop up.

I want to kill this idea right now:

- There were months of public discussion leading to up the authoring of
   BIP 101, both on this mailing list and elsewhere.

- BIP 101 was submitted for review via the normal process. Jeff Garzik
   specifically called Gavin out on Twitter and thanked him for following the
   process:

https://twitter.com/jgarzik/status/614412097359708160

https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/163

As you can see, other than a few minor typo fixes and a comment by sipa,
   there was no other review offered.

- The implementation for BIP 101 was submitted to Bitcoin Core as a pull
   request, to invoke the code review process:

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/6341

Some minor code layout suggestions were made by Cory and incorporated.
   Peter popped up to say there was no chance it'd ever be accepted ..... and
   no further review was done.

So the entire Bitcoin Core BIP process was followed to the letter. The net
result was this. There were, in fact, bugs in the implementation of BIP
101. They were found when Gavin submitted the code to the XT community
review process, which resulted in *actual* peer review. Additionally, there
was much discussion of technical details on the XT mailing list that
Bitcoin Core entirely ignored.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Warning: Confrmed Gavinista
August 30, 2015, 12:10:58 PM
So in simple and quick words, Bitcoin XT has a feature which tracks IP address of the user

Ah, no it doesn't.  Simple words are just wrong. Have a read through the thread again.
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
August 30, 2015, 12:07:30 PM
So in simple and quick words, Bitcoin XT has a feature which tracks IP address of the user and although it states that is used for blacklisting purposes, it does go against the very fundamental of bitcoin. Why is the Bitcoin XT project not being discarded by the bitcoin users then? What is making them disregard their privacy and fuel hearn's shitty attitude? WHY
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Warning: Confrmed Gavinista
August 30, 2015, 11:46:37 AM
Quote from: Adam_Back
Myself and many other people warned
 Gavin a network fork "war" would start

Is he advocating "Ballot box in one hand, and an Armalite in the other"?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
August 30, 2015, 03:38:25 AM
you can only wonder what new "features" will be in it, given Hearn's clear bias for centralized trust-based systems.

Based on Hearn's previous proposals, and his complete control over XT, potential features include:

- Automatic updates
- Redlists
- Blacklists
- Whitelists
- Coin tainting

Bitcoin's CTO calls out [email protected] and [email protected] for being epic shitlords:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-August/010439.html

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Wed Aug 19 16:53:13 UTC 2015

It seems to be a recurring meme that BIP 101 is somehow "a solution
put forward" where BIP 100, 102, 103, flexcap, extension blocks etc
etc are not.

That is not at ALL the case, and is insulting (present company excluded).

It is just that no one else is reckless enough to bypass the review
process and risk a controversial hard fork deployment war.  Myself and
many other people warned Gavin a network fork "war" would start (ie
someone would think of some way to sabotage or attack the deployment
of Bitcoin-XT via protocol, code, policy, consensus soft-fork etc.  He
ignored the warnings.  Many also warned that 75% was an optimally BAD
trigger ratio (and that in a hard fork it is not a miner vote really
as in soft-forks).  Gavin & Mike ignored that warning to.  I know they
heard those warnings because I told them 1:1 in person or via email
and had on going conversations.  Others did too.

People can not blame bitcoin core or me, that this then predictably
happened exactly as we said it would - it was completely obvious and
predictable.

In fact noBitcoinXT is even more dangerous and therefore amplified in
effect in creating mutual assured destruction kind of risk profile
than the loose spectrum of technical counters imagined.  I did not
personally put much effort into thinking about counters because I
though it counter productive and hoped that Gavin & Mike would have
the maturity to not start down such a path.

Again any of the other proposals can easily be implemented.  They
*could* also spin up a web page and put up binaries, however no one
else was crazy enough to try to start a deployment in that way.

It is also puzzling timing - with all these BIPs and ongoing
discussion and workshops coming imminently to then release ahead of
that process where as far as I know Gavin said he was equally happy
with BIP 100 or other proposal which ever is best, and on basically
the eve of workshops planned to progress this collaboratively.
Bitcoin-XT is also under tested, people are finding privacy bugs and
other issues.  (Not even mentioning the above 75% optimally bad
parameter, and the damage to community reputation and collaborative
environment that this all causes.)

Very disappointing Gavin and Mike.

I find it quite notable that Gavin and Mike have been radio silent on
the bitcoin-dev list and yet we see a stream of media articles, blog
posts, pod casts, and from what I can tell ongoing backroom lobbying
of companies to run bitcoin-XT without trying AT ALL to offer a
neutral or balanced or multi proposal information package so that
companies technical people can make a balanced informed decision.
That is what the workshops are trying to provide.

Gavin, Mike - anything to say here?

Adam
Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
August 30, 2015, 02:23:56 AM
Don't you see how the 'dictator' arguments in FOSS and software forks is a logical fallacy? People exercising their free will but not doing what you want does not equal dictatorship.

This is actually why dictatorship often succeed. They give to "the people" the impression of a choice by encouraging them to exercise "their free will" when they are tired of waiting for traditional issue resolution processes.

This is textbook "why the worst people get on top".

If BIP 101 succeeds, what makes you think that I won't be able to switch back to Core or only-bigblocks with a different set of developers? Is Core just going to give up?

For BIP101 to succeed it needs to be merged into Core so I am not sure what you are talking about?

I presume that your concern about XT is that it and BIP 101 succeed without core adopting it, right? Most on this list don't really seem to be worried about that given that miners aren't jumping onboard (yet). If XT were to somehow 'takeover' then my point is that BIP101 would get merged into core since there's no way core would just continue on with <25% hashrate, no coinbase or bitpay, etc.

The point being is that no matter what big blocks BIP ends up being finally adopted, there will be and should be multiple software clients available to end users which makes some sort of dictatorship completely impossible.

That is a positive scenario we are all hoping for, should BIP 101 succeed.  The concern is what % of clients XT will represent in this scenario.  If it is large, then you can only wonder what new "features" will be in it, given Hearn's clear bias for centralized trust-based systems.

- Automatic updates
- Redlists
- Blacklists
- Whitelists
- Coin tainting

Maintainer making decisions for all code changed rather than unanimity/consensus.
Activity: 504
Merit: 250
Earn with impressio.io
August 30, 2015, 02:06:03 AM
Don't you see how the 'dictator' arguments in FOSS and software forks is a logical fallacy? People exercising their free will but not doing what you want does not equal dictatorship.

This is actually why dictatorship often succeed. They give to "the people" the impression of a choice by encouraging them to exercise "their free will" when they are tired of waiting for traditional issue resolution processes.

If BIP 101 succeeds, what makes you think that I won't be able to switch back to Core or only-bigblocks with a different set of developers? Is Core just going to give up?

For BIP101 to succeed it needs to be merged into Core so I am not sure what you are talking about?

I presume that your concern about XT is that it and BIP 101 succeed without core adopting it, right? Most on this list don't really seem to be worried about that given that miners aren't jumping onboard (yet). If XT were to somehow 'takeover' then my point is that BIP101 would get merged into core since there's no way core would just continue on with <25% hashrate, no coinbase or bitpay, etc.

The point being is that no matter what big blocks BIP ends up being finally adopted, there will be and should be multiple software clients available to end users which makes some sort of dictatorship completely impossible.

That is a positive scenario we are all hoping for, should BIP 101 succeed.  The concern is what % of clients XT will represent in this scenario.  If it is large, then you can only wonder what new "features" will be in it, given Hearn's clear bias for centralized trust-based systems.

- Automatic updates
- Redlists
- Blacklists
- Whitelists
- Coin tainting

Activity: 504
Merit: 250
Earn with impressio.io
August 30, 2015, 01:55:17 AM

^^-- LIKE

Bottom line, is we need to discuss our current options, before we lose those options. 
legendary
August 29, 2015, 10:45:14 PM

How am I ignoring the game theory?  I already explained why/how NotXT exacerbates the risk for defections to XT, by minimizing its chances of success.  And OrganOfCorti mathed the hell out of that, leaving no doubt those brave enough to accept XTcoins are going to have a bad time.   Smiley

What is it that you don't get? Slush is indicating support for >1MB blocks via XT/BIP101. Since no version of XT or only-bigblocks or Core will accept >1MB blocks prior to January 2016 then it doesn't matter that he hasn't updated to XT or BIP 101 mining prior to then. Is your point that the NotXTers will move to BIP101 or XT in January 2016? That seems to not quite be in the spirit of NotXT.

I read the OrganOfCorti comments - he used numbers ranging between 0.16 and 0.21 of fake voters. That's fine - if it's a small number of fakers then it doesn't matter. The more the fake votes increase, the better the chance for 'premature activation'. Go ahead...run NotXT - gamble away, but you sure can't take the moral high ground.

Moral high ground?  When did that become an issue?  This is war, not an ethics symposium!   Tongue

Corti demonstrated a small number of fakers is unlikely to matter immediately, but because XT features a perpetual election even low probabilities manifest eventually.

Your hand-waving "it doesn't matter that [slush] hasn't updated to XT" objection sounds like imaginary_username, who likewise fails to understand

If you're only pretending to run a version of bitcoin that has BIP101 implemented by changing your header version, that is spoofing, regardless of what your intentions are.

The header version is supposed to show that your nodes will actually accept a >1MB block as per BIP101, not that you support the idea of BIP101.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
August 29, 2015, 10:01:03 PM
Yes, the only "XT" blocks mined thus far are actually from a FakeXT node.  Slush must be a gambler!   Cheesy

So much for canth's pompous "I for one don't believe" opinion.

Apparently, nobody (especially Slush) cares what canth does or does not believe.   Grin

Oh boo hoo, let's all cry about slush's "deceitful indication of larger block support" (which was "a likely scenario" after all).   Cheesy

By fake, I mean advertising accepting BIP101 blocks but in fact rejecting them, which Slush it not doing. Anyone that runs NotXT might as well be running NotBIP101 on core since it's the exact same deceitful practice. It doesn't help demonstrate support for alternative BIPs; it might help fracture the network in January. I know you're not dumb enough to have ignored the game theory - anyone that runs NotXT is gambling with everyone's money without any upside.

Slush isn't running XT or NotXT.  Slush's present nodes will in fact reject >1MB blocks.  Slush is spoofing, as has already been explained here:

How am I ignoring the game theory?  I already explained why/how NotXT exacerbates the risk for defections to XT, by minimizing its chances of success.  And OrganOfCorti mathed the hell out of that, leaving no doubt those brave enough to accept XTcoins are going to have a bad time.   Smiley

What is it that you don't get? Slush is indicating support for >1MB blocks via XT/BIP101. Since no version of XT or only-bigblocks or Core will accept >1MB blocks prior to January 2016 then it doesn't matter that he hasn't updated to XT or BIP 101 mining prior to then. Is your point that the NotXTers will move to BIP101 or XT in January 2016? That seems to not quite be in the spirit of NotXT.

I read the OrganOfCorti comments - he used numbers ranging between 0.16 and 0.21 of fake voters. That's fine - if it's a small number of fakers then it doesn't matter. The more the fake votes increase, the better the chance for 'premature activation'. Go ahead...run NotXT - gamble away, but you sure can't take the moral high ground.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
August 29, 2015, 09:49:47 PM
Well the same way you get satoshis right now. You either mine yourself or find someone that can provide you with them.

Yeah, that seems quite easy. Why didn't I think of that? [/sarcasm]

Don't worry. There will be a market for those satoshies for sure.

Estimates of people who own some bitcoin range from 3'000'000 (Coinbase, BCI claims) to 300'000 (me).  The latter is my estimate of how many people own at least 1 BTC; together, those users own 99% of all bitcoins in existence.  

So, how many bitcoiners do you think know enough about the bitcoin protocol to understand how they can get get their transactions executed in one chain only; and know how to do that without messing up their wallet file; and can obtain a few satoshis that were mined after the fork; and are interested in handling split coins; and can find buyers who can also do all of that; and are dumb enough to buy coins that may die in a few days?

Those that have coins in Coinbase or other third-party wallets will execute their transfers on the fork that the third-party will choose. They will not have the option to taint their coins to make a transfer on the other fork because they will not be able to do it using a third-party wallet.

Also if a hard fork occurs you can be damn sure that there will be announcements everywhere and also the third-party wallet provider will let their users know about the hard-fork and what to do. It sounds logic to me to do that. You make it sound like the sky will fall, when in reality it will not fall. Take a xanax and chill.

Yes, I have observed already that, for the fanatic bitcoiner, *every* detail of bitcoin is a feature; and *everything* that happens is "how the system works".  

Sorry, but it is a bug that the coins on each branch may or may not be moved independently, with most clients being unable ot understand or control what is happening.

Hackery is what you propose to do: move coins independently on the two branches by tainting them with coinbase coins, and sell the version you think will die to anyone fool enough to buy them, or to anyone naive enough to not understand what he is buying.   The 100 block delay was probably meant to discourage that kind of hackery after forks -- soft, hard, or accidental.

It is your opinion and you are free to have one. But don't act surprised if people laugh at your opinions when it comes to Bitcoin knowledge.

Correct.  More precisely, any UTXOs that were created before the fork exist and can be used on both branches.  If you try to move them without tainting, they will be moved on both branches, to UTXOs that are still untainted.  Once you get hold of some satoshis that were mined on one branch (either one), you can first move all your old UTXOs on that branch to new UTXOs, with tainted transactions, and then you can move again the same old UTXOs to still other UTXOs with untainted transactions, that will be executed only on the other branch (because on the first one those outputs are already spent).  

Finally we agree on something.
legendary
August 29, 2015, 09:48:42 PM
Yes, the only "XT" blocks mined thus far are actually from a FakeXT node.  Slush must be a gambler!   Cheesy

So much for canth's pompous "I for one don't believe" opinion.

Apparently, nobody (especially Slush) cares what canth does or does not believe.   Grin

Oh boo hoo, let's all cry about slush's "deceitful indication of larger block support" (which was "a likely scenario" after all).   Cheesy

By fake, I mean advertising accepting BIP101 blocks but in fact rejecting them, which Slush it not doing. Anyone that runs NotXT might as well be running NotBIP101 on core since it's the exact same deceitful practice. It doesn't help demonstrate support for alternative BIPs; it might help fracture the network in January. I know you're not dumb enough to have ignored the game theory - anyone that runs NotXT is gambling with everyone's money without any upside.

Slush isn't running XT or NotXT.  Slush's present nodes will in fact reject >1MB blocks.  Slush is spoofing, as has already been explained here:

How am I ignoring the game theory?  I already explained why/how NotXT exacerbates the risk for defections to XT, by minimizing its chances of success.  And OrganOfCorti mathed the hell out of that, leaving no doubt those brave enough to accept XTcoins are going to have a bad time.   Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
August 29, 2015, 09:45:07 PM
The amount of newbies in this thread is hilarious!

The amount of people in this thread that contribute absolutely nothing is hilarious!
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
August 29, 2015, 09:41:23 PM
The amount of newbies in this thread is hilarious!
legendary
August 29, 2015, 09:31:05 PM
If you modify the code and recompile it, then try to run it. Are you sure it will work? Because usually when you change the code, it cause a fork.

Not at all.  

First, if you are not a miner, you can do any mess in the code that you want, and the worst that can happen is that you are unable to move your coins, or you send them to Neverland, or you reveal your keys to hackers and they steal your coins.  No matter what you do, there will be no fork.

If you were a miner, you would probably know what you are doing because your company's revenue depends on it.  But even if you change the code in an incompatible way, there will not be a permanent fork.  

First, if your program accepts transactions that are invalid according to the official version, that bug will matter only if some client issues such a transaction.  That is rather unlikely, because clients usually want their transactions to be executed, so they usually try to generate only valid ones.  Even if that happens, and you include that transaction in a block,  that block will be rejected by all other miners.  So you would indeed fork the blockchain, but no one will accept your new branch and it will be orphaned right away.  

Ditto if your software may create blocks from valid transactions that are invalid to the official version, for their size or something in the header.  Any such block will be a trivial fork that is orphaned right away.

Finally, if your program rejects transactions or blocks that the official version accepts,  you will be in trouble if and when some other miner mines such a block.  Then the chain will indeed fork.  You will reject the main branch of the chain, that starts with that block, and you will try to mine only on a side branch that contains ony blocks that you approve.  However, you will be the only miner working on that branch; so it will grow very slowly, and everybody, again, will ignore it.  No one will accept the coins that you mine.  Therefore, as soon as you notice that you are no longer in the flock, you will quickly get smart, fix your code, and join the others mining on the main branch.

Well... kinda. You will "try" to fork but the proper way to describe it is. "Your transaction will be invalid." With no weight behind your blocks, you would have created a fork but it would not really exist. This would be basically making an alt coin then slamming it at the BTC chain. It would do absolutely nothing in effect.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
August 29, 2015, 09:30:36 PM

I object! By the way I have no "concern about XT": https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-xt-officially-rekt-also-goes-for-bip101-fraud-1162684

Your interpretation of "how things should be" is a very common misunderstanding of the consensus fragility of the Bitcoin. Allow me to quote myself here:

You absolutely don't understand or are being willingly misleading about this "centralization" issue. There is quite simply no other choice but for us to support a centralized (read unique) consensus code. That's pretty much the only way Bitcoin works. It happens that the core developers have historically been the one trusted with maintaining this code and updating it. Several implementations have been built around this consensus code. Most of them have little support for very valid reason: their implementation is generally considered less tested and therefore potentially less secure than core implementation. Now should we blame core for attracting the most competent developers in the space? Would it be rational to ask of them to each start dividing their work between different implementations just for the sake of "decentralization"?

The centralization issue you refer to is nothing more than a lack of man power. That is, only a scarce amount of people are reliable and technically able enough to handle the highly fragile development of Bitcoin. It is no wonder the guys currently leading core are some of the world's most advanced experts in their own field. This expertise cannot be easily replaced or dismissed "because decentralization". It is absolutely unproductive and irresponsible to try to advance decentralization of Bitcoin development by encouraging incapable people to start messing around with their own implementations and risk breaking consensus.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to try the "you're too stupid to understand" argument which you seem to fall back on - we just fundamentally disagree on what are acceptable levels of consensus or fragility.

Ok  Roll Eyes

What if I told you there are already multiple software clients available to all users?

Have a look here: https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/

I can count nearly a hundred different software versions/implementation of the Bitcoin consensus code being run. Now what is it exactly you are complaining about?
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
August 29, 2015, 09:22:35 PM

I object! By the way I have no "concern about XT": https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-xt-officially-rekt-also-goes-for-bip101-fraud-1162684

Your interpretation of "how things should be" is a very common misunderstanding of the consensus fragility of the Bitcoin. Allow me to quote myself here:

You absolutely don't understand or are being willingly misleading about this "centralization" issue. There is quite simply no other choice but for us to support a centralized (read unique) consensus code. That's pretty much the only way Bitcoin works. It happens that the core developers have historically been the one trusted with maintaining this code and updating it. Several implementations have been built around this consensus code. Most of them have little support for very valid reason: their implementation is generally considered less tested and therefore potentially less secure than core implementation. Now should we blame core for attracting the most competent developers in the space? Would it be rational to ask of them to each start dividing their work between different implementations just for the sake of "decentralization"?

The centralization issue you refer to is nothing more than a lack of man power. That is, only a scarce amount of people are reliable and technically able enough to handle the highly fragile development of Bitcoin. It is no wonder the guys currently leading core are some of the world's most advanced experts in their own field. This expertise cannot be easily replaced or dismissed "because decentralization". It is absolutely unproductive and irresponsible to try to advance decentralization of Bitcoin development by encouraging incapable people to start messing around with their own implementations and risk breaking consensus.

We're going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to try the "you're too stupid to understand" argument which you seem to fall back on - we just fundamentally disagree on what are acceptable levels of consensus or fragility.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
August 29, 2015, 08:59:49 PM

Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
August 29, 2015, 08:47:54 PM
If you modify the code and recompile it, then try to run it. Are you sure it will work? Because usually when you change the code, it cause a fork.

Not at all.  

First, if you are not a miner, you can do any mess in the code that you want, and the worst that can happen is that you are unable to move your coins, or you send them to Neverland, or you reveal your keys to hackers and they steal your coins.  No matter what you do, there will be no fork.

If you were a miner, you would probably know what you are doing because your company's revenue depends on it.  But even if you change the code in an incompatible way, there will not be a permanent fork.  

First, if your program accepts transactions that are invalid according to the official version, that bug will matter only if some client issues such a transaction.  That is rather unlikely, because clients usually want their transactions to be executed, so they usually try to generate only valid ones.  Even if that happens, and you include that transaction in a block,  that block will be rejected by all other miners.  So you would indeed fork the blockchain, but no one will accept your new branch and it will be orphaned right away.  

Ditto if your software may create blocks from valid transactions that are invalid to the official version, for their size or something in the header.  Any such block will be a trivial fork that is orphaned right away.

Finally, if your program rejects transactions or blocks that the official version accepts,  you will be in trouble if and when some other miner mines such a block.  Then the chain will indeed fork.  You will reject the main branch of the chain, that starts with that block, and you will try to mine only on a side branch that contains ony blocks that you approve.  However, you will be the only miner working on that branch; so it will grow very slowly, and everybody, again, will ignore it.  No one will accept the coins that you mine.  Therefore, as soon as you notice that you are no longer in the flock, you will quickly get smart, fix your code, and join the others mining on the main branch.
legendary
August 29, 2015, 07:23:16 PM
Indeed, if a near consensus ever happen and we "jump" to a new fork, by the time that happen, i am pretty sure Core and most wallet will have already prepared their wallet version for the new fork.
Pages:
Jump to: