Pages:
Author

Topic: ... - page 4. (Read 60963 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
September 06, 2015, 12:22:56 AM
Pretty sure there's been quite enough of that from both sides.  Now it's time to cut that shit out and discuss proposals on technical merit and not the personalities involved.  Less character assassinations all round, please.

I think there is something to be said for that.

Then again, Mike Hearn has proven time and time again to push agendas that are divisive to the community and toxic to decentralization -- redlists, blacklists... I'm legitimately curious what color lists he produces next.

Who was it, Wladimir, I think?--that said he was toxic to the development process, that every pull he touched turned to a cesspool? No wonder he was ostracized. (Shrug)

You know the Gavinistas are in deep trouble when they resort to playing the moral equivalency card.

They have no good options left, and are resorting to the hypocrisy of calling their DoS attacks "stress tests" while at the same time bawling about how retaliatory DoS attacks on their precious XT nodes/pools/sites are "criminal bitcoin terrorism."

The XT assclowns are so eager to attack Bitcoin they don't care when their Troll Fork infrastructure naturally encounters pushback, and ensuing counterattacks wipe out internet/phone access for their entire ISP/.edu/region.

I wonder how their neighbors would feel if they knew their critical information utilities are being broken because the dweller next door feels entitled to attack Bitcoin with zero repercussions.  Perhaps we should be letting them know why they can't watch Fear The Walking Dead, much less use emergency 911 type services...

Now that Bitkiller and his 25Gb+ lulzcannon are a known factor, Gavinistas have no excuse for putting their political agenda (governance coup) above the interests of other uses of their networks.

In Gavinista Logic, it's perfectly OK to incite attacks which take out your town/ISP/region's connectivity, as they are entitled to attack Bitcoin Core (because thermos/Blockstream/etc. are the epitome of authoritarianism).   Roll Eyes
legendary
September 05, 2015, 11:40:29 PM
And you Gavinistas enabled them with your greedy, impatient, simpleminded 'zomg just change 1mb to 8mb and then moon' nonsense and ungrateful, toxic 'zomg szabo/back/thermos >> worse than hitler' social engineering.

Yeah, that was completely one-sided and not even remotely the same thing as your toxic 'zomg gavin/mike >> worse than hitler' social engineering.   Roll Eyes

Pretty sure there's been quite enough of that from both sides.  Now it's time to cut that shit out and discuss proposals on technical merit and not the personalities involved.  Less character assassinations all round, please.

They destroyed $1 billion of our market cap.

All by themselves, huh?  And you weren't doing anything at all that might encourage just the slightest hint of uncertainty in the markets?   Roll Eyes

Early this summer, Frap.doc was telling us Bitcoin was coiling for a rally.  Then XT happened, and the price went to shit.  100% not Team Core's fault.

The price would have gone down even more if not for my (and others) assurances that XT was 100% guaranteed to be #REKT like Stannis at Winterfell.

As for "character assassinations" it would help if Team Gavin could distinguish between moderation/moderators and censorship/dictators, as well as the vast difference between stress-testing XT nodes/pools and "terrorism."  

Don't be surprised when such nauseating self-pity results in a focus on the maudlin personalities involved, because many of us take offense at comparing first world nerd problems to the tragic circumstances of actual censorship/terrorism/dictatorship victims.

XT's biggest problem is social.  IE, the impatient/demanding/entitled/whiny Can't-Get-Along types who eagerly defected from Team Core's socioeconomic majority are now unable to get along with each other, much less work together effectively to fight Team Core.

Speaking of Team Gavin personalities, isn't it hilarious that cedivad (bitcointa.lk) and cypherdoc (bitco.in) can't get along well enough to avoid splitting their XT splinter group into even smaller, less effective, self-imposed ghettos of circlejerking?    Cheesy

IOW, Team XT is a group composed of individuals self-selected by virtue of being cranky, fractious malcontents.   Grin
Activity: 299
Merit: 250
September 05, 2015, 07:42:58 PM
Pretty sure there's been quite enough of that from both sides.  Now it's time to cut that shit out and discuss proposals on technical merit and not the personalities involved.  Less character assassinations all round, please.

I think there is something to be said for that.

Then again, Mike Hearn has proven time and time again to push agendas that are divisive to the community and toxic to decentralization -- redlists, blacklists... I'm legitimately curious what color lists he produces next.

Who was it, Wladimir, I think?--that said he was toxic to the development process, that every pull he touched turned to a cesspool? No wonder he was ostracized. (Shrug)
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
September 05, 2015, 06:47:14 PM
And you Gavinistas enabled them with your greedy, impatient, simpleminded 'zomg just change 1mb to 8mb and then moon' nonsense and ungrateful, toxic 'zomg szabo/back/thermos >> worse than hitler' social engineering.

Yeah, that was completely one-sided and not even remotely the same thing as your toxic 'zomg gavin/mike >> worse than hitler' social engineering.   Roll Eyes

Pretty sure there's been quite enough of that from both sides.  Now it's time to cut that shit out and discuss proposals on technical merit and not the personalities involved.  Less character assassinations all round, please.

They destroyed $1 billion of our market cap.

All by themselves, huh?  And you weren't doing anything at all that might encourage just the slightest hint of uncertainty in the markets?   Roll Eyes
legendary
September 05, 2015, 06:34:34 PM
I'll admit - I'm still here on bitcointalk, I still download software from bitcoin.org and I hit /r/bitcoin so that just shows that the network effect is not inconsiderable.

I don't think this is over yet. BIP100 doesn't have consensus (or finalized code). BIP101 could be tweaked with more conservative numbers. We could still be arguing about bigger block BIPxxx a year or two for now. I also don't think XT is pointless. There will be more than one version of consensus software that runs bitcoin and that's a good thing.

We already had "more than one version of consensus software that runs bitcoin" so please spare us the empty platitudes.

I already mentioned B100 doesn't have finalized code, and support for it can thus reasonably be interpreted as a giant FUCK YOU to B101.

XT's 15 minutes of fame are over.  Nobody will ever jump on a Gavin/Heam bandwagon again after such a spectacular failure.

They destroyed $1 billion of our market cap.  And you Gavinistas enabled them with your greedy, impatient, simpleminded 'zomg just change 1mb to 8mb and then moon' nonsense and ungrateful, toxic 'zomg szabo/back/thermos >> worse than hitler' social engineering.

Of course Bitcoin will continue, thanks to the Scaling workshops and Blockstream's amazing innovations.

On balance, I believe $1 billion is a small price to pay to (nearly) rid Bitcoin of those who fundamentally lack comprehension (or even dim awareness) of cypherpunk/extropian motivations/methods/goals.   Cool
legendary
September 05, 2015, 06:11:54 PM
I don't know why there still so much war against XT.
XT is a falied project from beginning, even the minted blocks almost have no more BIP101 acceptance, the XT fork will never happen.

No, Hearn is a dictator and says you must run XT. BIP101 will be introduced as a new law in Congress in 2016, applying globally. Yes, even places like Antartica and the Moon.

PS. I also heard Hearn's behind fluoridation.

LOL Y U SO MAD BRO?

Is it because XT was a failed project from the beginning?   Cheesy
Q7
Activity: 448
September 04, 2015, 10:50:11 PM
While I can't verify whether it is true or otherwise, looking at it, it will erode people's trust. What if this gets manipulated or falls into the control of someone with the intent to destroy btc. It's not meant to be controlled by anybody.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
September 04, 2015, 10:10:28 PM
The thing is... you don't even know what you eat nowadays... probably some mentally murder shit like Democracy...
Activity: 504
Earn with impressio.io
September 04, 2015, 09:57:04 PM
Is Bitcoin XT on the way up, or is it disappearing? Which wallet should I install...

As a client, down in recent days, and 0.4% of miners:

http://xtnodes.com/

https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/?q=/Satoshi:0.11.0/

It appears as though most of the nodes using XT are in Russia:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12313955

As discussed here and elsewhere, XT is a virus to the network and represents a systemic risk to Bitcoin.  If you value your coins, install Core.

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
September 04, 2015, 09:56:48 PM
Does anyone have a prediction about when this debate will be resolved?

My guess is March 2016

Heh...that'd be a good bet, although I have no idea about when this ends up being over. Put it up on https://bitbet.us/
legendary
September 04, 2015, 09:55:38 PM

As a troll I admire how, upon being proven completely wrong at present, you unhesitatingly and unflinchingly move the goalposts from ~now to Jan '16.   Grin

Given the utter failure of XT/101, do you still thing anyone will GAS about them 3 months from now?

I said I'd be a good loser if XT won.  Are you going to likewise be a good sport now that XT/101 has been #R3KT and tossed into the rubbish tip of history?

I'm fine with whatever solution wins - whether it's 1MB 4evah, BIP100 or BIP101 or BIPxxx - I've said all along that I'll go with whatever the economic supermajority chooses. My only grudge that I don't see letting go anytime soon is Theymos' heavy handed approach to moderation, but I'll admit - I'm still here on bitcointalk, I still download software from bitcoin.org and I hit /r/bitcoin so that just shows that the network effect is not inconsiderable.

Knock it off with the FUD. ~9  exchanges/merchants signed on for BIP101 support and some miners who have been DDoSed supported BIP101 as well, namely Slush and P2P. You know very well that big blocks are far from being decided.

I think that the next interesting advancement is whether or not merchants want BIP101 vs BIP100 or if they just want consensus & big blocks and don't care how it happens.

ZOMG STOP THE PRESSES - MBA FRAT BOY VCS LIKE MONEY AND WILL SAY WHATEVER THEY THINK WILL GET THEM MORE!!!11!1!

So much for my hope you would not be a sore loser.   Roll Eyes

Nobody Cares® that Hearn's Gang of Nine made supportive noises about 101.  It's not like they're going to accept XTcoins!   Grin

Fuck Circle, Goldman, and all the rest of those wannabe gatekeepers.  They and the rest of you Gavinistas are going to have to deal with the fact the socioeconomic majority favors BIP100, which is functionally a vote for Don't-Do-Anything-Anytime-SoonTM.

Your sense of false urgency had a shelf life of Two Weeks.  Too bad the Stress Tests backfired by conclusively demonstrating Bitcoin will function as it was designed to, that is with an ambient backlog due to cosmic background spam, regulated by fee markets.   Cool

I don't think this is over yet. BIP100 doesn't have consensus (or finalized code). BIP101 could be tweaked with more conservative numbers. We could still be arguing about bigger block BIPxxx a year or two for now. I also don't think XT is pointless. There will be more than one version of consensus software that runs bitcoin and that's a good thing.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
September 04, 2015, 09:54:16 PM
Does anyone have a prediction about when this debate will be resolved?

My guess is March 2016
legendary
September 04, 2015, 09:51:56 PM
As it appears that XT is inevitable it would be nice get a better understanding of the migration path to XT or effects of staying firm with the core... anyone care to make some rough projections?

XT is being run by a few hobbyists who dream of a State-sanctioned utopian PanoptiCoin, free transactions and ice-cream forever ... it will always be niche belief system but not accepted by the mainstream.

Throwing around insults to get people to listen to you - how's that been working so far?

MoA is stating facts, not "throwing around insults."  He has put his finger precisely on the crux of the matter.  And (TYVM for asking) so far that's been working great!   Smiley

In Hearn's (google.mil inspired) vision, Bitcoin PanoptiCoin is free to use because we consumers are the product.  Just like GMail, GMaps, GSearch, etc.

But Bitcoin was born as a rejection of the Fiat Empire's 'We Want Your Soul' paradigm.

That's why the cypherpunk preference is for cheap nodes + expensive tx, while the corporatists/statists prefer expensive nodes + cheap tx.
legendary
September 04, 2015, 09:43:10 PM
Only gamblers would run XT marked mining operations without accepting larger blocks. I for one don't believe that a significant amount of hashing power will choose to risk the outcome of a contentious hard fork that they would clearly be responsible for by their deceiptful indication of larger block support. Not a likely scenario IMO.
The only pool producing XT blocks is apparently doing exactly that - just marking them as "XT version" and no more.
See slush's comments about his pool.

But more importantly, no pool in their right mind would be running the XT code yet.
The XT code has been severely lacking in testing compared to normal Core code changes.

Fair enough. No pool in mid-January 2016 will be marking XT blocks but not actually running BIP 101 compatible blocksize code.

As a troll I admire how, upon being proven completely wrong at present, you unhesitatingly and unflinchingly move the goalposts from ~now to Jan '16.   Grin

Given the utter failure of XT/101, do you still think anyone will GAS about them 3 months from now?

I said I'd be a good loser if XT won.  Are you going to likewise be a good sport now that XT/101 has been #R3KT and tossed into the rubbish tip of history?

Knock it off with the FUD. ~9  exchanges/merchants signed on for BIP101 support and some miners who have been DDoSed supported BIP101 as well, namely Slush and P2P. You know very well that big blocks are far from being decided.

I think that the next interesting advancement is whether or not merchants want BIP101 vs BIP100 or if they just want consensus & big blocks and don't care how it happens.

ZOMG STOP THE PRESSES - MBA FRAT BOY VCS LIKE MONEY AND WILL SAY WHATEVER THEY THINK WILL GET THEM MORE!!!11!1!

So much for my hope you would not be a sore loser.   Roll Eyes

Nobody Cares® that Hearn's Gang of Nine made supportive noises about 101.  It's not like they're going to accept XTcoins!   Grin

Fuck Circle, Goldman, and all the rest of those wannabe gatekeepers.  They and the rest of you Gavinistas are going to have to deal with the fact the socioeconomic majority favors BIP100, which is functionally a vote for Don't-Do-Anything-Anytime-SoonTM.

Your sense of false urgency had a shelf life of Two Weeks.  Too bad the Stress Tests backfired by conclusively demonstrating Bitcoin will function as it was designed to, that is with an ambient backlog due to cosmic background spam, regulated by fee markets.   Cool
legendary
September 04, 2015, 09:24:36 PM
Is Bitcoin XT on the way up, or is it disappearing? Which wallet should I install...

It makes no difference - they're both consensus compatible at this point. It's not a popularity contest.
legendary
September 04, 2015, 09:23:55 PM

Pools will "play games" to increase their hashpower/revenue.   EG Slush, in order to shore up its falling user base, used the XT/101 drama to offer defectors the chance to make their (tiny, insignificant) voices heard.

Slush wasn't actually running XT/101, he just spoofed the version string to stroke the high-maintenance egos of the Gavinista insurgents.   Cheesy

And who's running BIP100 code? It's called a miner vote, at least in this case Slush knows that BIP101 has finalized code. Can't say the same about BIP100.
Activity: 242
Merit: 100
Extended Reality Advertising
September 04, 2015, 09:21:57 PM
legendary
September 04, 2015, 09:18:40 PM
So the real issue is only whose boots are to be licked, Adam's Satoshi's or Mike's?

FixtItForU  Wink
legendary
September 04, 2015, 09:17:13 PM
The voting implantation was so laughably simplistic that the attack practically suggested itself.  If that is the design quality of XT under Hearn's benevolent dictatorship, heaven state sponsored judicial system help you guys.

The BIP66 voting was inept too.  It was the ineptitude of the Core devs, not dishonest miners, that caused the two "forks of July" (6-block and 3-block long, respectively) and required broadcasting to all clients the embarrassing alert "everybody had better wait for 30 confirmations for a while".

The BIP100 voting scheme is a joke.

I think that blcokchain voting in general is a stupid idea, but the 75% of the BIP101 voting is not bad.  Any brat can set up NotXT nodes to falsify the node statistics; miners, however, will not want to play games with their revenue.  If they are against BIP101, their interest is to vote against it, to prevent the 75% trigger to happen. Why would they want to trigger a messy fork and then have it collapse?  That is the sort of puerile "cut the nose to spite the face" reprisal that only a Blockstream worker would find amusing...

If Adam had never been born I would have fought hard against a hostile takeover and especially one instigated by Mike Hearn.

If Adam had not been born, BitcoinCore would probably have lifted the block size limit years ago...

Absent Adam Backamoto there would be no HashCash, and thus no Bitcoin.  It's not like some 3rd rate CS prof at a 3rd rate school in a Turd World country would ever invent the former, much less the latter.  Sounds like a certain underpaid public employee is a little jealous of Dr. Back's myriad world-changing accomplishments and fat private-sector paycheck.   Tongue

Pools will "play games" to increase their hashpower/revenue.   EG Slush, in order to shore up its falling user base, used the XT/101 drama to offer defectors the chance to make their (tiny, insignificant) voices heard.

Slush wasn't actually running XT/101, he just spoofed the version string to stroke the high-maintenance egos of the Gavinista insurgents.   Cheesy
legendary
September 04, 2015, 08:54:13 PM

Cartoons and graphics sometimes say more than thousand words.
Today I found the truth table in the cyberspace. Wink

How's that "truth" of community support for BIP101 working out for you?

Oh wait, not a single BIP101 block was ever mined.  After the tremendous noise/drama/chaos over XT, all Team Gavin got were some spoofed blocks (and cartoons).

Meanwhile most of the hashing power supports the unfinished BIP100 as a giant FUCK YOU to BIP101.   Cool

Knock it off with the FUD. ~9  exchanges/merchants signed on for BIP101 support and some miners who have been DDoSed supported BIP101 as well, namely Slush and P2P. You know very well that big blocks are far from being decided.

Pages:
Jump to: