Pages:
Author

Topic: ... - page 4. (Read 9651 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Decentralized thinking
June 14, 2014, 05:51:30 AM
I'd rather invest in a HYIP (very risky, but don't gamble more than what your willing to lose) at the of the day i will get my share. Cloud mining is not profitable and most professional bitcoiners know this.

it's true. it's a terrible investment. i can see why people get duped into it, since they don't want to buy/build/operate their own rigs. but they must not do the math....

New people to the bit coin world are particularly susceptible. I know I made the same mistake when I got in. Luckily my math inclined wife helped me break down the numbers and realize they were not a good deal.

I also fell for it
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260
June 14, 2014, 02:48:44 AM
The way I see it, if a cloud mining service can make more money mining then what they're charging, then they'd just mine.  Having me pay them to mine for me seems like I'm losing out.
If they can sell their GH for BTC and buy more GH for those BTC they might make more money than if they just mine them self.

Please provide an example of how that might work. I think you will discover that it only works if the customer loses money.

If it cost them .01 BTC to make/buy 10 GH/s worth of mining equipment but can sell that equipment on cex.io for .07 BTC then they just made .06 BTC, they then use that .07 BTC to build/buy 70 GH/s and sell that for .49 BTC, and so on and so forth. The only difference is that the amounts are much greater (I am not sure about the profit margins though).

Suppose they can use the equipment to mine 0.08 BTC instead. Then why sell it 0.07 BTC? They make less money. And if they sell it for 0.07 BTC because it can only mine 0.06 BTC, then the customer loses.
Activity: 266
June 13, 2014, 07:40:00 PM
The way I see it, if a cloud mining service can make more money mining then what they're charging, then they'd just mine.  Having me pay them to mine for me seems like I'm losing out.
If they can sell their GH for BTC and buy more GH for those BTC they might make more money than if they just mine them self.

Please provide an example of how that might work. I think you will discover that it only works if the customer loses money.

If it cost them .01 BTC to make/buy 10 GH/s worth of mining equipment but can sell that equipment on cex.io for .07 BTC then they just made .06 BTC, they then use that .07 BTC to build/buy 70 GH/s and sell that for .49 BTC, and so on and so forth. The only difference is that the amounts are much greater (I am not sure about the profit margins though).
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
amarha
June 13, 2014, 02:11:07 PM
If you buy Cex.io shares on a big dip and then sell them on a big up shot, could you make money that way? It seems like it's just another way to gamble with your btc, no?
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260
June 13, 2014, 12:11:10 PM
The way I see it, if a cloud mining service can make more money mining then what they're charging, then they'd just mine.  Having me pay them to mine for me seems like I'm losing out.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029
June 13, 2014, 10:07:06 AM
The main point of them providing cloud mining service is for them to profit not the customer Smiley

It goes like this:
First they buy hardware and mine for temselves while its profitable. Once it gets to barely profitable they offer it to market on ridiculous price. They sell their hardware for GOOD money so they earn twice. For that money they buy mor hardware and cicrle starts again.
In adiditon to that, they dont need to care about hardware economics asthey take BTC for electirc bill, and they will keep it going on as long as you are willing to pay the bill. They take some extra too so they profit on that too.
It's win / win / win situation for them.
Activity: 243
June 13, 2014, 06:32:43 AM
The main point of them providing cloud mining service is for them to profit not the customer Smiley
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
June 13, 2014, 03:01:30 AM

Activity: 742
June 12, 2014, 05:23:04 PM
Activity: 448
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
June 12, 2014, 01:42:14 PM
you are right
I've tried mining cloud over there and I felt no benefit at all because too many fees

It is not just the fees, it is that the price that most cloud mining companies sell their contracts are at a level where the rate of difficulty increases would need to slow substantially.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006
Black Panther
June 12, 2014, 12:41:25 PM
you are right
I've tried mining cloud over there and I felt no benefit at all because too many fees
Activity: 266
June 09, 2014, 10:53:43 PM
it's true. it's a terrible investment. i can see why people get duped into it, since they don't want to buy/build/operate their own rigs. but they must not do the math....

Yes this is so true. Everyone most me smart and do their own calculations when they choose to invest in something like mining.

Some people just want to try it out before committing larger capital for ASIC miner.

That's the stupidest thing I've heard.

Avoiding cloud mining altogether works for me. I don't have to trust anyone but myself. 

That's so stupid. There are plenty of trustworthy cloud mining operations going.

Even if a cloud mining operation is trustworthy, you would not have control over your mining power.

Cex is probably the most trustworthy (and biggest) cloud mining operation however you can not do anything but sell your GH/s when they start to get close to 51% of the hashpower.
Activity: 406
June 09, 2014, 04:57:51 PM
I recently fell into the trap of investing there. I got eaten up in maintenance fees. Stuff like this is really working against Bitcoin. There have been a ton of big scams. I'm thinking pirate, Gox, BFL etc.

Yeah. You are better off finding some investment opportunities or just holding. 
June 09, 2014, 04:56:28 PM

Yes this is so true. Everyone most me smart and do their own calculations when they choose to invest in something like mining.

Some people just want to try it out before committing larger capital for ASIC miner.

Avoiding cloud mining altogether works for me. I don't have to trust anyone but myself. 

That's so stupid. There are plenty of trustworthy cloud mining operations going.

Throwing good money after bad is even more stupid. Basic math tells you that cloud mining is a very poor investment.   

Activity: 308
June 09, 2014, 04:45:10 PM
I recently fell into the trap of investing there. I got eaten up in maintenance fees. Stuff like this is really working against Bitcoin. There have been a ton of big scams. I'm thinking pirate, Gox, BFL etc.
legendary
Activity: 1522
Merit: 1000
www.bitkong.com
June 09, 2014, 04:03:06 PM

June 09, 2014, 03:38:20 PM

Activity: 644
June 09, 2014, 01:48:09 PM

Activity: 363
Merit: 100
SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN
June 09, 2014, 03:30:15 AM
June 09, 2014, 02:39:19 AM

New people to the bit coin world are particularly susceptible. I know I made the same mistake when I got in. Luckily my math inclined wife helped me break down the numbers and realize they were not a good deal.
Pages:
Jump to: