Pages:
Author

Topic: .. - page 2. (Read 6215 times)

Activity: 980
Merit: 256
Decentralized Ascending Auctions on Blockchain
August 13, 2014, 12:35:26 AM
You should have turned the tables on him and told him you know someone looking for a hitman.

Then when he says he can do that, call the cops for conspiracy to murder.
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
August 11, 2014, 04:30:22 PM
I do wish the OP had called the police on the "buyer" just for laughs. Ask to file a report, fake being all concerned etc. Get the feds involved to investigate for added yucks. Cheesy

I wouldn't ever do that.

I am not my brothers keeper.

Even *if* he was not LE, and actually *was* trying to sell me drugs...I still wouldn't tell on him.

My hatred for the tyranny of our draconian legal system trumps all.

Remember, the first offer was for contracted crimes of violence.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
August 11, 2014, 03:47:37 PM
Even *if* he was not LE, and actually *was* trying to sell me drugs...I still wouldn't tell on him.

The fun in it was reporting the LE on itself.
Activity: 868
Merit: 508
August 11, 2014, 09:14:36 AM
I do wish the OP had called the police on the "buyer" just for laughs. Ask to file a report, fake being all concerned etc. Get the feds involved to investigate for added yucks. Cheesy
I totally agree and this is exactly what I would do in that situation. However, it may be more trouble than it's worth. Creating enemies in law enforcement is never a good idea.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Asianconnect
August 11, 2014, 08:48:34 AM
This information was truly helpful specially to those who is new to bitcoin community. Thanks for the heads up
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!
August 11, 2014, 05:08:32 AM
There is a lot of paranoia in this thread. It isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Face-to-face transactions are safe and easy. Online selling is risky because of chargebacks and fraud. Even cash bank deposits can be reversed.

Just stick to small amounts and stay away from people talking about criminal activity, and you have nothing to worry about.

I couldn't agree more,  I'd treat the service like Craigslist.  Come to think of it I've heard of many more horror stories of Craigslist meetups gone bad then I have of Bitcoin exchanges going wrong.  It seems more common for the cops to be the reason for worry when exchanging coin in person then criminals.. 
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001
August 10, 2014, 09:19:32 PM
The way that OP handled the situation is prefect.

Once the talk about illegal stuff came up, end the transaction and walk away.

OP is correct about money laundering and law enforcement.   

If he limit his transaction to 500-1000 per sale. The law enforcement may not even bother him.

Another valid point.  This amount will probably vary by state as each has their own money laws (or soon to be laws)
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
August 10, 2014, 08:21:10 PM
I am glad this is illegal in my country
August 10, 2014, 07:55:01 PM
I do wish the OP had called the police on the "buyer" just for laughs. Ask to file a report, fake being all concerned etc. Get the feds involved to investigate for added yucks. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
August 10, 2014, 07:18:00 PM
Just a matter of time before LE ends up trying to entrap us, we attempt to make a citizen's arrest, the undercover and/or their backup team executes us in "self-defense", and it's ruled "justified" by a complicit justice system.

Or better/worse yet, a law-abiding LEO ends up arresting the entrapping LEO from another agency, or gets shot trying.
Activity: 306
Merit: 102
August 10, 2014, 06:53:04 PM

If he limit his transaction to 500-1000 per sale. The law enforcement may not even bother him.
legendary
Activity: 896
August 10, 2014, 06:40:40 PM

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014
August 10, 2014, 05:55:47 PM
They are creating crime in order to prosecute it.

This is pretty standard these days.

This is called entrapment and used to be illegal in the old day.

Yes, but there are so many "men in black" now that there is not nearly enough real crime to keep them busy. To finance this apparatus, victimless crime and even crimeless crime is prosecuted. If that is not enough, cases are literally engineered by them. Many innocent people are put in jail just to keep their statistics in shape. Probably the same in other parts of the world. It is revolting.

www.theguardian.com/world/2011/nov/16/fbi-entrapment-fake-terror-plots

http://rt.com/usa/fbi-usa-terrorism-portland/

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/fbi-has-a-success-rate-of-50-when-it-comes-to-stopping-domestic-terrorism-714589
August 10, 2014, 05:48:15 PM
There is a lot of paranoia in this thread. It isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Face-to-face transactions are safe and easy. Online selling is risky because of chargebacks and fraud. Even cash bank deposits can be reversed.

Just stick to small amounts and stay away from people talking about criminal activity, and you have nothing to worry about.

This.

Just keep to small amounts and be professional and do everything as smooth and quickly as possible. Check out your buyer before meeting them (past feedback etc), check all the notes you receive, do the trades in a safe place, use the escrow service and if the buyer mentions anything illegal DO NOT trade with them ever again. Keep it strictly business. So long as you're not trading excessively large amounts you will be very safe doing this.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
August 10, 2014, 05:09:20 PM
"You've got to be honest to succeed as an outlaw"

legendary
Activity: 1159
August 10, 2014, 04:23:56 PM
Thanks for the post, I had something very similar happen. He had addresses on a piece of paper, not even QR codes and admitted they were not his. I felt uncomfortable about the whole thing and declined to sell the coins.

Once he admits it's not for him and on behalf of a 3rd party, you would be operating as a money transmitter without a license.  They charged Charlie Shrem of Bitinstant for that crime.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
August 10, 2014, 04:11:20 PM

Activity: 55
Merit: 4
August 10, 2014, 03:53:01 PM
Thanks for the post, I had something very similar happen. He had addresses on a piece of paper, not even QR codes and admitted they were not his. I felt uncomfortable about the whole thing and declined to sell the coins.
legendary
Activity: 1456
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
August 10, 2014, 03:24:46 PM
Thanks for the story.   It is a good cautionary narrative.  People should take his advice just to save you the possible legal trouble/stress it will cause you.
Activity: 907
Merit: 1003
August 10, 2014, 03:06:45 PM
I wonder if you were being audio recorded while this deal was going down. I bet so.

Recorded audio of you selling btc to a person knowingly using it for illegal purposes would be the only way to have the evidence needed, right? (aside from any texts/emails showing known intent of the buyer)
Pages:
Jump to: