Pages:
Author

Topic: .. - page 3. (Read 6215 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
August 10, 2014, 02:56:03 PM
One simple fact to keep in mind:  As far as I'm aware, it is *not* illegal for law enforcement to lie to you to coerce you or trick you into committing or confessing illegal activity.  It is entirely up to you to know the laws in your area and to protect yourself accordingly.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
August 10, 2014, 02:54:26 PM
That is not true. You need to follow AML regulations when selling BTC for cash. In a nutshell these include verifying the identity of the person you are dealing with and reporting any transaction over a certain threshold.

Since many/most traders are likely unaware of AML regulations, LE (undercover) will often say they are using the BTC illegally to give the trader a reason to look into the regulations and rules regarding AML.

Thats not what the Florida indictment states. AML is a completely different issue.

Charlie Shrem the owner of BitInstant a Bitcoin exchange that was (almost) fully compliant with AML was arrested for knowingly selling Bitcoins to someone who he knew sold them to people who used them for illegal activity and failing to report this:

http://time.com/1892/bitinstant-ceo-charlie-shrem-arrested-for-alleged-money-laundering/

If someone tells you that they are buying your Bitcoins to spend on cocaine, asking to see their ID won't cover you.
Activity: 239
Merit: 10
August 10, 2014, 02:53:17 PM
Thank you for posting this OP, really eye-opening. I don't even use localbitcoins, and probably won't in the future because of all the risks. This is just an icing on the cake. I wonder if this could get news coverage on some bitcoin news sites, seems like it would make a good piece.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
August 10, 2014, 02:47:37 PM
Also: Where is it illegal to sell Bitcoin in the US? I had no idea it was...

It is illegal to knowingly sell bitcoins to someone who has admitted they will be used for criminal activity. That covers all of the US.
That is not true. You need to follow AML regulations when selling BTC for cash. In a nutshell these include verifying the identity of the person you are dealing with and reporting any transaction over a certain threshold.

Since many/most traders are likely unaware of AML regulations, LE (undercover) will often say they are using the BTC illegally to give the trader a reason to look into the regulations and rules regarding AML.
August 10, 2014, 02:41:35 PM

It is illegal to knowingly sell bitcoins to someone who has admitted they will be used for criminal activity. That covers all of the US.

That makes these "stings" to try to turn something legal into something illegal even more disgusting.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
August 10, 2014, 02:41:01 PM
OP, I just want to thank you for this post. It is something I would have never thought about - even though in the same situation I wouldn't have sold to him - but still, this is an eye opener.

Thanks!

August 10, 2014, 02:33:11 PM

August 10, 2014, 02:12:51 PM
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
August 10, 2014, 02:12:41 PM
I'm wondering how effective would a "Please spare me the details" strategy be. Like "I don't want the details, just BTC for fiat period".
August 10, 2014, 02:09:30 PM
They are creating crime in order to prosecute it.

This is pretty standard these days.

They really do that? Man that's really messed up!!! I know there are strange things going on these days, but that's really mean. I mean.. wow... Really sad and messed up! How can you protect yourself from such a thing?

Obviously, be aware of all the laws and don't agree to do anything illegal. But the fact that it's pretty standard to entice people to break laws (with no actual victims, even) that they otherwise wouldn't should be disturbing to people.
Activity: 179
August 10, 2014, 02:03:51 PM

This is called entrapment and used to be illegal in the old day.
Activity: 280
Relax!
August 10, 2014, 02:03:37 PM

They really do that? Man that's really messed up!!! I know there are strange things going on these days, but that's really mean. I mean.. wow... Really sad and messed up! How can you protect yourself from such a thing?
August 10, 2014, 02:01:17 PM

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014
August 10, 2014, 01:58:40 PM
Don't sell on LBC if it is not legal in your area

If it is legal I would not ask too many questions, unless you are required by law to do KYC. It is a don't ask don't tell situation, if the other party does not tell you anything suspicious, why ask? It is unpolite, annoying and dangerous for you.

Normally legislation is such that you cannot sell XYZ (bitcoins, firearms etc) to a person if you have reason to believe that they are used for illegal purposes, but you certainly don't have to investigate. In fact that is even true for normal items like a crowbar or a car; if you sell something knowing it will be used for a crime, you will be charged for complicity - not a Bitcoin problem  Wink

In that Florida case, they sting buyer actively provided ample information that he was planning illegal use of the bitcoins...and the seller was dumb enough to proceed.

The OP did the right thing and cancel the sale when weed and ecstasy were mentioned... Grin
Activity: 280
Relax!
August 10, 2014, 12:56:43 PM
Woah man, really? Did that happen to you? Wow, how did you react that fast? I'd never figured that this could be a ploy designed to get me arrested or something! Man, is this even legal for the police or feds to do?
Activity: 988
Merit: 1000
August 10, 2014, 12:23:34 PM
I wonder if if he was like fbi or cia trying to find out about the illegal activities done using bitcoins.

FBI? No.
CIA? Definitely no.
DEA? Possibly an informant working with them.
Local/State douchebag LE? Most likely.
Yea, FBI and CIA are not going to be doing this kind of sting operation unless you are doing something else illegal that they are after you for (if this was the case I would seriously doubt you would be posting your story in the OP). The only reason the DEA would be doing this kind of sting operation would be if they though you were somehow involved in drugs (same principle as before, but less serious of crime).
Activity: 406
August 10, 2014, 06:24:36 AM
Wow, that is pretty crazy. That would definitely be someone I would turn down without a second though he really does not seem like the kind of guy to be dealing with at all.
Activity: 214
August 10, 2014, 05:59:18 AM
Is it just me or does this story seem a little...farfetched. I dunno, just seems a little fishy, and if it did happen it seems like entrapment. He also didn't seem to state what exactly he needed the coins for.
Activity: 672
Merit: 502
August 10, 2014, 05:52:01 AM
I wonder if if he was like fbi or cia trying to find out about the illegal activities done using bitcoins.
Activity: 181
August 10, 2014, 01:43:52 AM
For LBC trader, just limit your trade to less than 1k and don't make chit chat and you should be fine.
Pages:
Jump to: