Pages:
Author

Topic: ... - page 3. (Read 8391 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Ultranode
August 20, 2014, 07:05:57 PM
The moral of this story: DO NOT open business bank accounts if you have a Bitcoin business.

Were you oblivious to this fact? This has been known for well over a year now.

Very few banks are bitcoin friendly. A few credit unions might be, but if you openly admit that it's a bitcoin business, you'll get instant shutdown. Can you disclose a bit more info as to how you alerted them it was for bitcoin? Also, banks might close accounts if they suspect ANYTHING suspicious that they can't confirm. For example, receiving too much cash deposits, and withdrawing cash in close intervals right after you deposit. If they can't figure out what the transactions are for, they'll just simply close it.
When I opened the account I used my business name (USA Crypto Coins LLC), and explained I was a Bitcoin trader. The bankers said that sounded interesting, and weren't opposed to it at all. There is a major disconnect between the policies of local branches and the policy of the bank itself.

Like I said, I only deposited my own cash, a few times at that, and then used the funds to buy Bitcoin with venmo, paypal, and through coin.mx.

I heard of accounts getting shutdown for other traders, but I thought it was mostly due to high volumes of cash deposits from customers. Apparently they shutdown accounts just for being involved with Bitcoin.

I also didn't think they would terminate my relationship for lifetime just because they closed the business account. If I knew that I would have never opened a business account.

A review of your posting history reveals you aren't just trading through exchanges but also sell directly. I'm guessing you made no efforts to be in compliance with AML/KYC laws. No wonder you were banned.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
August 20, 2014, 07:04:02 PM
I've heard this happening way too much. I have an account at wells fargo and used to transfer my bitcoins from mining to my personal account. So far, I haven't had an issue, but I have only transfered a little bit since last December, before banks really knew what bitcoin was. The best thing to do is never mention bitcoin, I wonder if coinbase is on their radar.

We all want banks to eventually go away, but right now  we have to have them, no other way to turn our coin into fiat when needed. Well, there is, but its a pain. Buy gold, have it shipped, then sell gold at pawn shop. That may be the future of selling coin, but for now, Im hodling but it would nice to know that my account is safe..

Activity: 770
August 20, 2014, 07:01:03 PM

Guess where we are now  Smiley
Excellent graphic, that about sums it up.

Perfect image. It's true, banks are afraid that Bitcoin and it's decentralized nature will compete with them.
Activity: 374
Merit: 250
August 20, 2014, 07:00:23 PM
Did you use your account to help you facilitate bitcoin trades? If so did you tell them that you are a MSB as they need you to tell them this if you are one (you are if you are a trader that trades with individuals).

I think you left out the part about what exactly your business does.

If your banker could not explain why the account was closed, why did you not ask to speak to someone who was able to do so?  
donator
Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003
August 20, 2014, 06:58:52 PM
Was your business structured as an LLC or more like a sole proprietorship type business? I just want to understatand why they are going after your personal credit card as well.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
August 20, 2014, 06:57:44 PM
The moral of this story: DO NOT open business bank accounts if you have a Bitcoin business.

Were you oblivious to this fact? This has been known for well over a year now.

Very few banks are bitcoin friendly. A few credit unions might be, but if you openly admit that it's a bitcoin business, you'll get instant shutdown for most banks. Can you disclose a bit more info as to how you alerted them it was for bitcoin? Also, banks might close accounts if they suspect ANYTHING suspicious that they can't confirm. For example, receiving too much cash deposits, and withdrawing cash in close intervals right after you deposit. If they can't figure out what the transactions are for, they'll just simply close it.
legendary
Activity: 977
Merit: 1000
August 20, 2014, 06:56:36 PM
I talked with my credit union before hand and they said everything would be fine. Hope they don't lie.
Activity: 83
Merit: 10
Your average Bitcoin/Ethereum enthusiast
August 20, 2014, 06:54:08 PM
This is scary but bitcoin will persevere. As long as we don't dump bitcoin and come crawling to the banks there will be nothing they can do.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
August 20, 2014, 06:38:46 PM
That's disgusting that they did that why do they fear evolution? Bitcoin is the future.
Activity: 658
August 20, 2014, 06:37:56 PM

Guess where we are now  Smiley
Activity: 197
Merit: 100
August 20, 2014, 06:29:16 PM
Pages:
Jump to: