Pages:
Author

Topic: .. - page 2. (Read 2807 times)

Activity: 183
Merit: 100
October 06, 2014, 01:15:04 AM
What doesn't make sense about what you say is that the valuation would be determined by Bitstamp. I would think that the valuation is determined by wherever the largest volume of trades is occurring. If that's happening OTC, fine, then OTC is setting the price. Why would large volume bitcoin traders care what some "small time" exchange has to say on the matter?

Because it's the most well known. Simple.

There is no central "authority" on price for the OTC market. Those trading over-the-counter look to exchanges in determining market value.

Bitstamp is the most recognized.

This is technically true, however the OTC market does influence the bitstamp market as well. If someone buys bitcoin on the OTC market form someone that would have otherwise sold on bitstamp then there would be a little bit less selling pressure on bitstamp.

It is also not possible to effectively control the price on an exchange
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
October 05, 2014, 11:31:17 PM
Most services needing a price (like if you were running an ATM) either use the price of the exchange they will be executing an instantaneous trade on, or they will use a exchange rate weighted by volume across many exchanges and averaging a recent period, perhaps even using a forumula anticipating the trend to stay ahead of the average.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
October 05, 2014, 11:23:24 PM
anyone who does not recognize the fact that bitcoin prices now are manipulated to be way below production cost and not take the opportunity now to hoard up, they're missing out big time. My only problem is that my fiat don't come in fast enough to convert to bitcoins  Sad

yep, they are on sale. 

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
October 05, 2014, 11:19:00 PM
anyone who does not recognize the fact that bitcoin prices now are manipulated to be way below production cost and not take the opportunity now to hoard up, they're missing out big time. My only problem is that my fiat don't come in fast enough to convert to bitcoins  Sad
legendary
October 05, 2014, 11:17:49 PM
all OTC prices should be based on one of the blended indices out there.  not Stamp.  they're clearly into bullshit.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
October 05, 2014, 11:04:40 PM
Well I don't think its stupid, it also means the reference price is from where it is the hardest (or most expensive) to be manipulated, so fair.

But I'm wondering if you have any data regarding the OTC market volume?
legendary
October 05, 2014, 11:02:05 PM
What doesn't make sense about what you say is that the valuation would be determined by Bitstamp. I would think that the valuation is determined by wherever the largest volume of trades is occurring. If that's happening OTC, fine, then OTC is setting the price. Why would large volume bitcoin traders care what some "small time" exchange has to say on the matter?

he's right. it's stupid but correct. i've seen this in action.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
October 05, 2014, 10:57:55 PM
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
October 05, 2014, 10:10:02 PM
Pages:
Jump to: