Pages:
Author

Topic: 0$ Power cost --> Antminer u1 miner rig profitable? (Read 1819 times)

Activity: 357
Merit: 251
SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN
Before you go buy or if you have already, the U1 and the U2 mine at basically the same speed. No difference in hashrate generally except for the fact that the U2 has a heatsink. U1s are generally cheaper and will perform at the same hashrate. Only big difference is U1 uses the 55nm BM1380, U2 uses the 28nm BM1382. Both are outdated chips, and even with free electricity the gain from them is miniscule.
The cooling on the U1 is terrible. The metal "heatsink" does almost nothing, and you're better off cutting it out and applying thermal paste and drilling a hole in for a homemade cutout heatsink.

With prices though buying neither makes sense compared to buying compac.  It at least get's you the most for your money.  And if you plan to run it ... yes it's a lotto or learning rig.  Your better off spending and buying BTC vs these mini rigs.  But that is not much fun.

I don't see neither U1 or U2 really making much sense, unless you happen to already have them.

Than you for the advice... yeah you're right, buying bitcoins is not really fun. I already have 1 antminer u1 and 1 block erupted (333khs). I know that's ridiculous and i'm thinking to upgrade it.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Before you go buy or if you have already, the U1 and the U2 mine at basically the same speed. No difference in hashrate generally except for the fact that the U2 has a heatsink. U1s are generally cheaper and will perform at the same hashrate. Only big difference is U1 uses the 55nm BM1380, U2 uses the 28nm BM1382. Both are outdated chips, and even with free electricity the gain from them is miniscule.
The cooling on the U1 is terrible. The metal "heatsink" does almost nothing, and you're better off cutting it out and applying thermal paste and drilling a hole in for a homemade cutout heatsink.

With prices though buying neither makes sense compared to buying compac.  It at least get's you the most for your money.  And if you plan to run it ... yes it's a lotto or learning rig.  Your better off spending and buying BTC vs these mini rigs.  But that is not much fun.

I don't see neither U1 or U2 really making much sense, unless you happen to already have them.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129
Bitcoin FTW!
a little of gnu mining with 1.3Mh/s with Altcoins and 2 gridseeds mining LTC at 730h/s... Im not making any profit but I'm loosing only 1 cent/day so i hope that in the future the value of LTC increase and get some profit...

Just some friendly advice: if you're mining at a loss (even if it's only 1 cent/day), please consider stop mining and just buy LTC with the money you would have used for powering your mining device.

You'll get more LTC, and make more money IF the price goes up (this part is always a guess)

I sometimes rent my hash power so i get my losts back. Anyways thanks for the advice.
If renting out your hashpower is more profitable why don't you always keep your rigs on rent? You would make some profit in the long run that way.
I'm thinking to do it... the problem is that miningrigrentals don't show my real cgminer hashrate and i don't know why
EDIT: I have to add that the hash rate showed in miningrigrentals ir really irregular (don't know why either)
There might be a problem with the pool the buyer is using. Are you getting more from miningrigrentals than from mining Litecoins only?

yeah! selling my hash power i can get some profit... mining by my own in a pool costs me 1 cent/day.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
you can change any fan from any miners easily if that is your concern, and an s5 or s3 would remain silent, i would grap some artic fan or those with low cfm around 50 and noise level around 0.05
alh
legendary
Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050
It would probably be good to clarify what is meant by "profit". It can mean earning more than it costs to run (aka Operating Profit). To some it means not only an operating profit, but also pay for the original cost (i.e. the over used term ROI).

With zero actual electrical cost, then it's almost a certainty you can earn an operating profit, since the primary operating cost is electricity.

Actually earning more after operating costs and subsequent sale of the hardware, is much harder to do, and influenced by the size of the operating profit, and original cost of the hardware, and how long you hold onto the hardware before selling it. Obviously if you hold onto "forever", then you get $0 when you stop using it.
legendary
Activity: 1456
You will not ROI on these stick miners.  They cost more then they will bring in it's for leanring and lotto mining at this point on usb stick miners.  If you have free power I suggest looking at bigger rigs.

As far as if you do want to do a stick miner for fun.  Get a RPI and a compac, the compac is much better. Again it is not going to ROI unless you make more by selling it.  But you can use it for learning and lotto.
Activity: 840
I'm thinking to do it... the problem is that miningrigrentals don't show my real cgminer hashrate and i don't know why
EDIT: I have to add that the hash rate showed in miningrigrentals ir really irregular (don't know why either)

I've had great experiences with miningrigrentals support staff... If you see something you don't understand, just open a support ticket, and (usually) they'll give you an explanation within a couple of hours  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1002
a little of gnu mining with 1.3Mh/s with Altcoins and 2 gridseeds mining LTC at 730h/s... Im not making any profit but I'm loosing only 1 cent/day so i hope that in the future the value of LTC increase and get some profit...

Just some friendly advice: if you're mining at a loss (even if it's only 1 cent/day), please consider stop mining and just buy LTC with the money you would have used for powering your mining device.

You'll get more LTC, and make more money IF the price goes up (this part is always a guess)

I sometimes rent my hash power so i get my losts back. Anyways thanks for the advice.
If renting out your hashpower is more profitable why don't you always keep your rigs on rent? You would make some profit in the long run that way.
There might be a problem with the pool the buyer is using. Are you getting more from miningrigrentals than from mining Litecoins only?

legendary

legendary

If he is only loosing 1 cent/day it wouldn't be more profitable to buy Litecoins for the money spent on power because the fees to buy LTC is higher than 1 cent.

Activity: 675
Merit: 504

Thank for the answer... i've mining for 6 months now... i just was wondering if there is any miner that mines in silent... i know than mining nowadays is difficult
Which mining hardware are you currently using to mine? Did you make an ROI on your hardware?
legendary
Thank for the answer... i've mining for 6 months now... i just was wondering if there is any miner that mines in silent... i know than mining nowadays is difficult
Which mining hardware are you currently using to mine? Did you make an ROI on your hardware?
... Please consider adding a "Caution - HOT surfaces"  signage - they get quite hot after a while...

Modify the miners to look like desktop cup warmer... your bosses will not suspect it!

the computer that i have won't give me a good hashrate. i won't try cpu mining... Thanks for the advice anyways   Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

Miners generate lots of heat and cooling is definitely needed. Insufficient cooling will lead to high HW errors and may eventually damage your miners. I hope you are not hiding them in your drawer without any ventilation...
Activity: 552
Merit: 250
... Please consider adding a "Caution - HOT surfaces"  signage - they get quite hot after a while...

Modify the miners to look like desktop cup warmer... your bosses will not suspect it!
It´s just for fun, with 2gh/s do you mean ant miner u1 right?
About the no noise condition is because im going to mine at work so its the only way to do it... there is some "big miner" that makes really low noise?
Thank you
U2 = 2 Ghs/s
U1 = 1.6 Ghs/s

So  7788bitcoin was indeed talking about an U2

My advice: only buy an usb stick miner if you're just trying to learn how to mine... Buy a "bigger" minner (S7, avalon 6) if you're trying to make money (but calculate everything beforehand, it's easy to lose money while mining nowadays)

Pages:
Jump to: