Pages:
Author

Topic: ~$10,000 in cryptos stolen off my desktop from an encrypted folder, how, why? - page 3. (Read 5373 times)

legendary
Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036
I don't think your desktop can be considered a cold wallet when it's still connected to the Internet and you are downloading random stuff on it that can contain malicious content. Also never store your private keys on your work computer because even if they are passworded you may have gotten a keylogger and the hacker may have recorded your keystrokes for your password. If you had actually printed out paper wallets and transferred your coins there instead of encrypting them in a WinRar file I think this misfortune wouldn't have happened. At least buy a thumb-drive now and put your private keys on it and put it in a drawer - it would be 100% more secure than what you have been doing till now.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
Sorry for your loss. can you tell which os(microsoft xp?)  were you using. you have to be careful when downloading an exe file from torrent. i too download games and all but i never connect my windows os to internet.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
You made some of the most common mistakes someone could make... One : Never store anything with a encrypted password on your computer connected to the internet. If it is not connected to the internet,

nobody can access it. Two : Do not store all your coins in one place.... always break up your hoard into smaller pieces and store them in separate paper wallets. We will see a lot of these types of hacks in the

future, if people repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Use this experience as an example of what not to do... Again, sorry for your loss.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
^^
Too late. Nothing to put in it, coin gone Sad
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Wow man. This sucks. I would have thought that would be enough security too.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
This seems to be the new world for us with all this hacker b.s going on its really unnerving.
Really sorry to hear you got hacked but I think we need to get a thread going that explains step by step how to protect us from this happening in the future.
Activity: 490
Merit: 520
I'm sorry that you lost $10,000 that's something no-one should have to go through.

Depending on what was on your computer, it could have been anything from a keylogger to a virus that might have found the encryption keys, assuming they were stored somewhere that could be accessed.

Then again I'm just throwing out idea, chances are it wasn't what actually occurred.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
I'm sorry for your loss,it is likely a key logger who stole your password and who knows what else you've picked up downloding torrents.It is always good to read comments from people who download files,although even this is not 100% safe.Unfortunately you learned a lesson the hard way, let this be a warning to others.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
I was about to say what this guy said. Cold storage is only cold storage if the computer or whatever device you are using is not connected to the computer, so what happened to you, even if really unlucky, is a realistic posibility, since you had the wallet on the computer that you use all the time and connected to the internet.
If you dont wanna get a trezor and you don't like paper wallets I recommend that you put your wallet file on a usb and only put it on the computer when you want to use your Bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, it is extremely unlikely that you will ever recover your lost funds.

I know it doesn't do any good to tell you this now, but for others that come across this discussion I'd like to point out that a "cold" wallet is one that is generated on a computer that is not, never has been, and never will be online.  As a reasonable substitute, many would also consider a wallet to be "cold" if the computer that generates it is:
  • taken offline
  • operating system and disks are completely wiped
  • wallet is then generated
  • wallet is stored on some medium removed from the computer (disk, paper, usb drive, etc)
  • operating system and disks are completely wiped
  • computer is placed back online
Activity: 882
Merit: 976
I know how it feels to lost even files due to malware but you have lost a lot of money and i am sorry about your loss. But these days i find online storage like google drive more secure place to store files.

Are you implying that it's safer to store files in online cloud storage than on your own computer?! lol
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1006
I know how it feels to lost even files due to malware but you have lost a lot of money and i am sorry about your loss. But these days i find online storage like google drive more secure place to store files.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
that's not really a cold wallet, if you keep it in your desktop which is supposedly, connected to the internet, also you downloaded plnety of stuff, what do you expect?

it's like giving the key of your safebox to the first known thief on the street....
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Should of probably stored something of that value offline, cold storage or just printed off the keys is a much better option and then just keep an eye on the watch addresses.

Sorry for that kind of loss though must sting. Sad
Activity: 1036
Merit: 501
kbenzle
How strong is your password? Is it a dictionary word?
Have you used it somewhere else?
Sorry for your loss.

I don't think that matters really much when they used key loggers.

When you download a lot with torrents big chances there is also nasty malware/Trojans included. Best to play safe with laptops or desktop computers where wallets are installed with big amounts. Not all people can afford 2 laptops but in this case was that the best option if you can't without downloading torrents.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Number of times our customers lost all their money due to hack: Zero.

Shitty overpriced bath salts & CP: 2BTC
For everything else, there's MasterCard Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
You are the second person in the last couple weeks that has had btc/crypto hacked out of a desktop wallet.  How can this happen to an encrypted wallet?
At no time did the OP state that his encrypted desktop wallet was hacked.

(2) I kept ALL my "cold" storage paper wallets in one encrypted WinRar file with a 12 character password. I thought this security was enough and am still at a loss as to what happened.

The most likely scenario is you downloaded some malware that has the ability to connect
into your computer, like a remote desktop connection, and has been watching you and
possibly logging all your key strokes to get your 12 character password.

Torrents have been known to contain btc wallet malware or hidden mining programs.
I wouldn't be surprised if this was just a basic remote connection.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
You are the second person in the last couple weeks that has had btc/crypto hacked out of a desktop wallet.  How can this happen to an encrypted wallet?
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
Uhhm, why would you call it a cold storage when it is connected to the internet? Sorry for your loss, but it's your fault downloading from torrent sites. You do know that several harmful software can infect your computer via javascript, right? If you are keeping a large amount of cryptos. better put it in an offline device and use a strong password--probably more than 12 characters--for maximum security.

You can't do anything about it by now, but if you've been more careful on keeping your cryptocoins, you could have prevented this from happening. Sorry for that, mate.
Pages:
Jump to: