Pages:
Author

Topic: ~$10,000 in cryptos stolen off my desktop from an encrypted folder, how, why? - page 4. (Read 5373 times)

Activity: 750
Merit: 511
kbenzle
How strong is your password? Is it a dictionary word?
Have you used it somewhere else?
Sorry for your loss.

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
It already happened to me! My guess is that you had some very weak passwords to begin with.
The hacker must have tracked your transactions through he blockchain and then somehow sniffed your connections and got into your desktop. If you had some really strong you would still have your cryptos...
Anyways... this is why I think that every desktop wallet should have a 2FA feature enabled...
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Offer escrow, receive negative trust
Do you have any more information on the process that kept restarting?  I'd like to figure out what you may have been infected with.  'Wool Department' isn't much to go by...
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
I'm very sorry for your lost.
You probably got some kind of virus or Trojan on your computer.
What Anti virus Program you have?
Even with the best PC protection you can never be safe enough from hackers.
It's better separate computer for fun and computer for business.
I hope you will be able to find this hacker but chances are not big, unfortunately.  
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Unfortunately, these transactions are not reversible. On top of that, looking at your ether wallet, I can see the funds were transferred constantly and finally were mixed with other coins so you loose the path of where the cryptos went. Mixing is usually done by people that want to hind their tracks and cover where the money went. Im sorry for your lose. Me personally, I used offline wallets, printed on paper. Wallet and key is provided on the paper, so there is no way anyone could touch it, unless they have access to your house. So ie, you get robbed, it can be used as well. Alot harder then going through the internet. Never store your keys on the computer.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0

I kept 500 Ether, 1,000 Litecoin and 500 PPC in a cold wallet in a password protected .rar file on my desktop, when I happened to check my watch address yesterday all the balances were emptied two days ago.

I made two mistakes (1) I download a lot from Torrent sites, (2) I kept ALL my "cold" storage paper wallets in one encrypted WinRar file with a 12 character password. I thought this security was enough and am still at a loss as to what happened.

The other day I noticed a program running in the Task Manager called, "Wool Department", there was no google results for it, so I closed it but it kept coming back up (on Windows). Next I got an e-mail from Microsoft about verification, then a few other sites I have not used for a long time. My email was hacked years ago, so I changed my password and did not connect the two events at all.

• My Ether address:    0xea13bae3f4d94b43d2224bb8a1abb0f4e7e0e24d
    My Litecoin address: LhfSd3ZzJMrWawrFimQcTnCx8rYQ3XYiVG
    My PPC address:      PPM4tkGmx9f4LMchhCqQAn6j843KDU3ELk

I assume I will never see any of it again, but would like to offer 1/2 of any recovered funds as a reward to anyone that can help to find the criminal(s) responsible/return the funds.
Pages:
Jump to: