Pages:
Author

Topic: 15% discount on Trezor hardware wallets - page 3. (Read 883 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
October 29, 2022, 08:02:39 AM
I haven't followed how much the price of the T model has changed since it appeared on the market, but it costs about $130 more than the Ledger X that I bought in 2019.
After some quick research using Wayback Machine, I managed to gather some data.

The Model T was released in February 2018.
- An achieve from June 2018 shows a price of €149.
- A second achieve from November 2019 shows the same price.
- In December 2020, the price was up to €180.
- In October 2021, an achieve shows €164. So, the price went down for some reason.
- And the last one I checked was April 2022 with a price of €249.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5811
not your keys, not your coins!
October 29, 2022, 06:55:40 AM
So, if you are in the EU, the Trezor One will now cost you around €70, while Trezor T is approximately €220.

And I still remember that a few years ago, some complained that $100 was a price they were not ready to pay to buy such a device. I haven't followed how much the price of the T model has changed since it appeared on the market, but it costs about $130 more than the Ledger X that I bought in 2019. Security is never expensive, but this price seems a bit excessive to me, even from an EU perspective, and here we are talking about the price with a discount...

I wonder how many people from various poor countries of the world have no chance to buy something like this because they have to work for several months to earn money for such an HW. On the other hand, some will say that they don't need HW, given that they can't even afford big investments.
Re: hardware wallet pricing.
I have no internal information about margins of different vendors, but model T can be expected to be supported for longer, has more coins that need to be actively maintained, and hasn't sold as many units as model One. These are some reasons for which I can understand a higher price.

Personally, I believe even 200€ or more for a Bitcoin-only device (less maintenance of coins, smaller codebase, less potential for bugs...) can be worth it.

Basically, with any such device, you're buying a signer with secure storage of your seed and a pretty good level of security against software and hardware attacks. If you don't need this convenience, you can very securely store your seed on paper in multiple physically secure locations.
You don't really pay for the security (as you said, it can be achieved for much less), but for convenient security. Having access to your coins from a mobile device on the go, without exposing the keys to software or prying eyes, for example.

Unfortunately, people from financially weaker countries can't afford a lot of things, but by giving up some convenience, they can still use Bitcoin very securely for cheap.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 5364
Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat⚔️
October 29, 2022, 06:21:01 AM
So, if you are in the EU, the Trezor One will now cost you around €70, while Trezor T is approximately €220.

And I still remember that a few years ago, some complained that $100 was a price they were not ready to pay to buy such a device. I haven't followed how much the price of the T model has changed since it appeared on the market, but it costs about $130 more than the Ledger X that I bought in 2019. Security is never expensive, but this price seems a bit excessive to me, even from an EU perspective, and here we are talking about the price with a discount...

I wonder how many people from various poor countries of the world have no chance to buy something like this because they have to work for several months to earn money for such an HW. On the other hand, some will say that they don't need HW, given that they can't even afford big investments.
legendary
October 29, 2022, 04:24:42 AM
Some of us here don't consider the "secure element" an improvement but just the opposite.  Sure in theory SECURE sounds great, but that comes with closed source and users having to trust what is going on inside the element all beyond our scrutiny.
The secure elements we find in today's hardware wallets are closed-source, but Trezor and their partners are trying to change that. I guess they realized early on that 100% open-source isn't going to be possible, so the wording they used in some of their public announcements was "as open-source as possible". It's going to be interesting to see how Wallet Scrutiny and other parties classify the new type of wallets once they eventually come out.   
Activity: 758
Merit: 606
October 28, 2022, 04:29:08 PM
Some of us here don't consider the "secure element" an improvement but just the opposite.  Sure in theory SECURE sounds great, but that comes with closed source and users having to trust what is going on inside the element all beyond our scrutiny.  That is a pass for me anyway as far as my preference!!
legendary
October 27, 2022, 08:03:02 AM
Maybe upgrading Trezor One with bigger memory (like in model T) would be better option to keep it alive, affordable and functional in future.
That wouldn't be bad since the old Trezor model doesn't have the hardware strength to cope with certain coins and can't support them. But a hardware upgrade would certainly affect the price, which could then go above €100 maybe.

There is nothing wrong with cooperation with btcdirect, but as I understand it only brings "buy" option inside the application. I would prefer to see a better conditions for Trezor users (spread). Otherwise why not to buy from them directly?
I am sure Trezor takes a cut in some way. I remember when Ledger introduced a similar partnership with a crypto company and we compared the rates offered through Ledger Live against what was offered on the official site. The spread was always worse in Ledger Live for the exact same trading pair compared to what you could get on the official exchange. These kind of partnerships are about additional revenue for the manufacturers after all.   
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1367
October 27, 2022, 04:36:35 AM
The reason for this is the introduction of Dollar-cost averaging (DCA) in Trezor Suite. Their term for it is Bitcoin savings account. Most already know that using the DCA investment strategy means buying a fixed USD/EUR amount of an asset at a fixed time. That can be once a week/month/year, etc.

There is nothing wrong with cooperation with btcdirect, but as I understand it only brings "buy" option inside the application. I would prefer to see a better conditions for Trezor users (spread). Otherwise why not to buy from them directly?
And again, if someone is afraid of leaks, the task to check the code how they send buy request, if they collect data how much you bought, when. Does btcdirect knows you are Trezor user? etc etc
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
October 26, 2022, 04:14:09 PM
I doubt we'll see any better prices by that time if they're giving 15% off now. They might add some offers about buying two, and getting the third one for half, or maybe give free silicon cases instead, but more than 15% off? I don't see it happening.
I am not saying it's going to get bigger discount, but it's still much better than what we had previous season, if someone remember them offering discounts for silicone cases and trezor accessories  Roll Eyes
Yeah I know it was chip shortage and all that crap, but better don't offer any discount in situation like that.

Trezor is working on that new secure element that will be integrated with their future hardware wallets. If they are considering to eventually retire the old Model One when the new devices hit the market, we might be seeing bigger discounts for Model One until the supply runs out. This is just speculation, of course.  
New Trezor model will probably appear in this time next year, and that is my optimistic prognosis, if world economy don't collapse until them, and full production maybe starts in early 2024.
That doesn't mean they should follow steps of bad competition and retire devices all the time like old socks.
Maybe upgrading Trezor One with bigger memory (like in model T) would be better option to keep it alive, affordable and functional in future.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1282
keep walking, Johnnie
October 26, 2022, 09:07:38 AM
Oh maybe they noticed my constant complains and wining about new higher prices of their devices, so they decided to make a new discount around Halloween time.
Black Friday is November 25th and Cyber Monday few days later, so we could see new discounts around that time.
It's still a lot of money for Model T, so no thank you... €100 - €150 is most I would pay for that device.
-snip-

I doubt we'll see any better prices by that time if they're giving 15% off now. They might add some offers about buying two, and getting the third one for half, or maybe give free silicon cases instead, but more than 15% off? I don't see it happening.
A 20% discount (for Black Friday) is quite possible and it will be a little more profitable than 15%. In the last 2 years (2020 and 2021), Trezor made a 20% discount for its customers on Black Friday.

Here are links to information about it:
https://www.cryptocurrencyposters.com/trezor-black-friday-cyber-monday/
https://blog.trezor.io/trezor-black-friday-deals-2021-6550e15305ac

It is difficult to say whether there will be a similar discount this year, because there was one year (I don’t remember exactly) when Trezor and their competitor represented by Ledger didn't make any Black Friday discounts for their products at all. If I'm not mistaken, this was one of the years of a deep bearish trend. So, either be content with a 15% discount, or wait for a 20% discount in 1 month if it is not canceled.

In my opinion, 15% is not bad at all if you are going to spend money on a HW device in the near future.
legendary
October 26, 2022, 06:31:46 AM
Trezor is working on that new secure element that will be integrated with their future hardware wallets. If they are considering to eventually retire the old Model One when the new devices hit the market, we might be seeing bigger discounts for Model One until the supply runs out. This is just speculation, of course. 
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
October 26, 2022, 03:24:48 AM
Oh maybe they noticed my constant complains and wining about new higher prices of their devices, so they decided to make a new discount around Halloween time.
Black Friday is November 25th and Cyber Monday few days later, so we could see new discounts around that time.
It's still a lot of money for Model T, so no thank you... €100 - €150 is most I would pay for that device.
-snip-

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
October 25, 2022, 03:00:14 PM
Trezor currently has a new promotion, and to celebrate it, they are offering a 15% discount on Trezor One and Model T hardware wallets. This promotion will be valid until 8 November 2022.

The reason for this is the introduction of Dollar-cost averaging (DCA) in Trezor Suite. Their term for it is Bitcoin savings account. Most already know that using the DCA investment strategy means buying a fixed USD/EUR amount of an asset at a fixed time. That can be once a week/month/year, etc.
It's their new partnership with Swan Bitcoin and BTC Direct, but I don't think it works for all countries and registration is needed, probably with verification, so no thank you.
Only supported countries for now are Unites States, Belgium, Germany, Spain, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic.

Much more interesting update is P2P non-KYC worldwide crypto buy provided by HodlHodl with new Trezor Suite v22.10.3.
I think they should also add option to sell Bitcoin with HodlHodl.
legendary
October 25, 2022, 11:46:02 AM
New 15% discount!

Trezor currently has a new promotion, and to celebrate it, they are offering a 15% discount on Trezor One and Model T hardware wallets. This promotion will be valid until 8 November 2022.

Source: https://blog.trezor.io/save-bitcoin-with-dca-in-trezor-suite-6ce8f6a2ce75    
Pages:
Jump to: