Pages:
Author

Topic: 17 Avalon photos - page 3. (Read 19385 times)

Activity: 457
Merit: 250
March 16, 2013, 05:27:43 PM
Thanks for the detailed photos  Grin
vgo
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1019
March 16, 2013, 05:17:36 PM
Thanks johnyj .
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
March 16, 2013, 05:10:30 PM
What is the PSU  Huh  I've never seen a 12pin cable,8pin for mobo,8pin for PCIE sure,but not a 12pin.

Is it in lieu of a main 20 or 24pin mobo connector  Huh
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001
March 16, 2013, 03:17:04 PM
They should use a modular PSU to get rid of all the excess cables. Very messy.

And why the third different fan? Probably just there to prevent circulation back through the third hole and they use the same front/rear plates.

Hopefully they make improvements for V2. However I don't think they will last much after V3 with the 28nm ASICs due later in the year.

Do you think they have not planned that far ahead?
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
March 16, 2013, 03:02:47 PM
2 points:

1, keep the case closed.
2, the 40pin ribbon cable our using is not IDE cable. IDE cables have some internal connect.
What is the warranty on the Avalon devices?
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
March 16, 2013, 02:55:13 PM
Wow, nice pictures.  I wish I'd been the guy to do it, but I instead just plugged mine in first thing.

I think it's a shame how some ppl are failing to appreciate the design that went into the Avalon cases, and are planning to drill them full of holes, or get rid of the case completely.  I can only hope that they'll sell what's left of the Avalon to me after they kill it.

I'm a hardware fan, it is something close to the physical world  Cheesy

I think the placement of WR703 is questionable: It is directly exposed under the hot air blowed from the heatsink, and 43 degree is not an ideal working temperature for such a small device without cooling. I have seen someone placed it outside of the box and that makes some sense

Same with PSU, it is located near the end of the heatsink where hotest air is sucked into PSU

Currently my unit is put on balcony and the temperature there is -2c degree, but my weather sensor still reports a 37 degree at exhaust
legendary
Activity: 1112
Merit: 1000
March 16, 2013, 02:46:47 PM
- originally, due to lack of high quality photos and some misunderstanding, I was under the impression that the fans were exhausting heat, blowing out. Now from your photos it *looks* like the fans are intake fans to blow cold air into the case (makes much better sense) can you confirm?

Yes the fans suck in cold air and push it into the machine over the cooling fins, thus creating positive pressure inside the machine, the hot air just rolls out on the other side (nothing in it's way is obstructing it's path)

- I was also thinking of using some ducting in the extra space from the missing 4th module to force air through the fins. I'm now thinking this is unnecessary as the bottom module should be the coolest one anyways, and ducting may have no effect on increasing air flow through the upper 2 modules.

You basicly want to do this?

Activity: 111
Merit: 10
March 16, 2013, 01:23:23 PM
Thanks J for the time and effort in taking and posting pics.
legendary
Activity: 966
March 16, 2013, 11:07:37 AM
Wow, nice pictures.  I wish I'd been the guy to do it, but I instead just plugged mine in first thing.

I think it's a shame how some ppl are failing to appreciate the design that went into the Avalon cases, and are planning to drill them full of holes, or get rid of the case completely.  I can only hope that they'll sell what's left of the Avalon to me after they kill it.
legendary
Beyond Imagination
March 16, 2013, 10:46:44 AM
Thank you for the great pictures!

Ngzhang, you should feel very proud!

- originally, due to lack of high quality photos and some misunderstanding, I was under the impression that the fans were exhausting heat, blowing out. Now from your photos it *looks* like the fans are intake fans to blow cold air into the case (makes much better sense) can you confirm?

- also, I am assuming that I should have no problem replacing the PSU with a modular one? (I've got a silverstone 1200 gold that is sadly under-utilized atm) - should easily handle a fourth module when the time comes.

- I was also thinking of using some ducting in the extra space from the missing 4th module to force air through the fins. I'm now thinking this is unnecessary as the bottom module should be the coolest one anyways, and ducting may have no effect on increasing air flow through the upper 2 modules.

After seeing some of Ngzhang's comments I'm thinking the only mods I'll be making are replacing the PSU and directing an AC unit blowing towards the intake. And of course adding 4th module when they come available  Grin

The upper side close to PSU is very crowded, I think the airflow here is not very good, I can feel by hand that module close to PSU is the hottest one. So I plan to move them to the lower part, but I'm afraid the cables are not long enough. Anyway I plan to use an external blower fan directly blow on top of them no matter the temperature. I might take everything out of the box and put them into my totally ventilated basket on balcony  Cheesy

legendary
Beyond Imagination
March 16, 2013, 10:36:34 AM
2 points:

1, keep the case closed.
2, the 40pin ribbon cable our using is not IDE cable. IDE cables have some internal connect.

Thanks for the advice, is this mean that I can not use the own cable to re-arrange the modules? I think they should be shifted to the other side of case to avoid overheating close to the PSU  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1512
@theshmadz
March 16, 2013, 07:56:09 AM
Thank you for the great pictures!

Ngzhang, you should feel very proud!

- also, I am assuming that I should have no problem replacing the PSU with a modular one? (I've got a silverstone 1200 gold that is sadly under-utilized atm) - should easily handle a fourth module when the time comes.

After seeing some of Ngzhang's comments I'm thinking the only mods I'll be making are replacing the PSU and directing an AC unit blowing towards the intake. And of course adding 4th module when they come available  Grin

Activity: 592
Merit: 501
We will stand and fight.
March 16, 2013, 03:36:48 AM
2 points:

1, keep the case closed.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
March 16, 2013, 01:33:57 AM
congrats.   even a lots of chinese customer haven't got the unit yet. I really doubt they can finish batch #!  before May, according the delivery rate
legendary
Beyond Imagination
March 15, 2013, 11:03:21 PM

And why the third different fan? Probably just there to prevent circulation back through the third hole and they use the same front/rear plates.

Hopefully they make improvements for V2. However I don't think they will last much after V3 with the 28nm ASICs due later in the year.

They can keep it backward compatible so that v3 modules fits in the case, the case is really luxury, pure aluminum Grin
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
March 15, 2013, 10:04:48 PM

legendary
Beyond Imagination
March 15, 2013, 09:54:11 PM
So each larger module is composed of 8 smaller modules?

I really do wonder what Gen 2 will bring. I had thought that the large modules were one solid piece....apparently they break down into even smaller ones....

That backplate holds 8 submodules, but the heatsink size is fixed. I think gen2 will be the same as gen1 for hashing unit, maybe the control unit is upgraded

I just checked Avalon's claim back then: "If the prototype can be made before the end of January, then mass volume production will be guaranteed. If the prototype can not be made before end of January, you will get refund."

So they did follow the schedule, just no time to talk, no tracking email...  All my messages and tickets were ignored, kind of scaring
legendary
Beyond Imagination
March 15, 2013, 09:45:58 PM
Hi jonnyj Can you tell me if you where in Batch #1 or Batch #2 and location thx.

batch 1 order 198

I remember that I waited until count down and the ordering website was immediately overloaded by users and crashed, I tried again and again for another 1-2 hour and finally got one order in, just lucky and some patient

I believe Avalon team is working full speed to make the delivery. But it is a tough task for a small team to deliver 900 units in one-two month, include the test
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
March 15, 2013, 09:35:40 PM
Great unboxing thread.

You say wow about the tape but I said my own wow about it - just not the wow you are thinking of. As someone who is involved with materials testing I instantly recognize that as Kapton tape. Google it. It was used on the Apollo missions and has the best temperature resistance of any tape out there. It is truly a space age material. It may just be one of (if not) the most expensive tapes you can buy.  Grin
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
March 15, 2013, 09:23:27 PM
You are a  lucky dog. I'm in China and have not received my batch#1
Pages:
Jump to: