Pages:
Author

Topic: 2-month-old transaction still unconfirmed, stuck in mempool (Read 183 times)

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
If Electrum's "cancel" RBF has nothing to do with Full RBF then it's not correct what @Findingnemo said, as far as I understand it, because Electrum's "cancel" RBF transaction spends the same inputs but replaced the outputs completely.
I reread Findingnemo's post and I am not sure I am understanding him correctly. If I am understanding Findingnemo correctly, he says full RBF means changing addresses and that's wrong.

Full RBF is a setting for nodes.
In the case a node has enabled full RBF, it accepts the replacement transaction even if the original one has not been flagged as RBF.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1010
Crypto Swap Exchange

If Electrum's "cancel" RBF has nothing to do with Full RBF then it's not correct what @Findingnemo said, as far as I understand it, because Electrum's "cancel" RBF transaction spends the same inputs but replaced the outputs completely. As far as I remember Electrum doesn't offer you anymore an option to flag RBF or not, it's on by default in Electrum without option to turn if off, thus any transaction sent from recent Electrum versions should be "cancellable" by RBF in Electrum.
legendary
I know that Electrum offers to "cancel" an unconfirmed transaction which is then a (Full?) RBF back into your own wallet.
The cancel transaction feature has nothing to do with full RBF.
Electrum allow you to replace a transaction that has been flagged as RBF with a new one sending the fund to yourself. You can't do so if the transaction has not been flagged as RBF and that means that there is no full RBF in electrum.
Crypto Swap Exchange
That's only possible when you perform Full RBF it allows the user to change any aspect of the transaction and thus include output addresses too but I am not aware of any wallet that has a built in feature to do that, we have to manually sign in the transaction and then broadcast it but with the conventional RBF aka the RBF we see in wallets like electrum where we can only increase the fees and it doesn't allow changing the output address but if we opt out the cancel (double spending) we can change the output address while paying a higher fee than the original transaction.

Reminder to myself: test RBF more thoroughly with a few different reputable wallets (Core, Electrum, Sparrow, ...) in Testnet.

Personally I didn't have to use RBF or Full RBF so far. I know that Electrum offers to "cancel" an unconfirmed transaction which is then a (Full?) RBF back into your own wallet. Since a few recent versions of Electrum RBF is active per default and not an option anymore. Hm, I have to admit that I didn't look into all details of RBF, time to change it.  Smiley
legendary
but I am not aware of any wallet that has a built in feature to do that
Sparrow allow you to change addresses when replacing a RBF-enabled transaction with a new one paying higher fee.

Thb though, I'm a bit curious to see how long this transaction will stay unconfirmed in the mempool if I just leave it. Not in a hurry to spend the coins, and having them stuck is a way of bolstering my resolve to hodl
Take note that each node has its own mempool.
The fee rate you used for your transaction is lower than the purging fee rate of nodes with default mempool size and many nodes have probably dropped your transaction from their mempool.
Even if your transaction is rebroadcasted, there are nodes that will reject it. So, you should be able to find nodes that don't have your transaction in their mempool.
Activity: 39
Merit: 11
I have dropped the transaction on Mycelium countless times, and every time it reappears after an hour or so. This has happened to me on several previous Mycelium transactions, but it has never continued for months like in this case.
That's why I suggested to make a new transaction (after dropping it). If it uses the same input, the old transaction should be replaced. That's basically the same you'd be doing with Electrum too.

Oh I see. That would be an easy fix if it works, will try
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I have dropped the transaction on Mycelium countless times, and every time it reappears after an hour or so. This has happened to me on several previous Mycelium transactions, but it has never continued for months like in this case.
That's why I suggested to make a new transaction (after dropping it). If it uses the same input, the old transaction should be replaced. That's basically the same you'd be doing with Electrum too.
I sent the transaction from the Mycelium wallet
This happened to me too once. It's been a while, but I think Mycelium keeps broadcasting the transaction, and after a while gives you the option to drop it. And in my case it also picked it up again after that.
So see if you can drop it, then make a new transaction with higher fee.

having them stuck is a way of bolstering my resolve to hodl
That's working out really well for you given the current Bitcoin price Smiley

This stuck transaction is paying for my next coffee   Smiley
legendary
I sent the transaction from the Mycelium wallet
This happened to me too once. It's been a while, but I think Mycelium keeps broadcasting the transaction, and after a while gives you the option to drop it. And in my case it also picked it up again after that.
So see if you can drop it, then make a new transaction with higher fee.

having them stuck is a way of bolstering my resolve to hodl
That's working out really well for you given the current Bitcoin price Smiley
Thanks guys for all the helpful and instructive posts. I will try the Electrum method soon when I have a little spare time, and report the results. I sent the transaction from the Mycelium wallet, but I think the seed phrase from that wallet should work on Electrum.

Thb though, I'm a bit curious to see how long this transaction will stay unconfirmed in the mempool if I just leave it. Not in a hurry to spend the coins, and having them stuck is a way of bolstering my resolve to hodl
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
But I remember RBF differently from what you say. With RBF and especially with Full-RBF you can broadcast a replacement transaction that will superseed the existing transaction with additional inputs if you want and completely other outputs if you want that too, as long as you pay a larger fee for the replacement transaction.

It's an accepted double spend that doesn't get dropped by RBF aware nodes and which invalidates the older unconfirmed transaction which is completely replaced by the new one (paying higher fees!).

That's only possible when you perform Full RBF it allows the user to change any aspect of the transaction and thus include output addresses too but I am not aware of any wallet that has a built in feature to do that, we have to manually sign in the transaction and then broadcast it but with the conventional RBF aka the RBF we see in wallets like electrum where we can only increase the fees and it doesn't allow changing the output address but if we opt out the cancel (double spending) we can change the output address while paying a higher fee than the original transaction.
Crypto Swap Exchange
CPFP doesn't change the parent transaction in any way, that's granted.

But I remember RBF differently from what you say. With RBF and especially with Full-RBF you can broadcast a replacement transaction that will superseed the existing transaction with additional inputs if you want and completely other outputs if you want that too, as long as you pay a larger fee for the replacement transaction.

It's an accepted double spend that doesn't get dropped by RBF aware nodes and which invalidates the older unconfirmed transaction which is completely replaced by the new one (paying higher fees!).
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
RBF or CPFP doesn't allow the output address to be changed so it's not going to be useful for OP. As suggested importing the wallet to Electrum and see if the coins are available for spending, most likely yes considering the fee used is well within the purging limit and 2 month is very long time for any nodes to keep the transactions unless the wallet provider does keep rebroadcasting the transaction again and again until it confirms.
Crypto Swap Exchange
The OP seems to be the sender of the transaction from his post I read and that doesn’t put him in the position of doing CPFP, as it is only the recipient with the unconfirmed child can be able to do a CPFP.

If the stuck transaction has a change output that usually goes back into sender's own wallet, the sender can also make a CPFP with this unconfirmed change output. It doesn't matter if you're sender or recipient of a transaction. What matters is if you can control any of the stuck transaction's outputs to perform CPFP.

But we don't need to talk about CPFP because OP actually doesn't want the stuck transaction to be confirmed. He made a second transaction paying the same recipient and this transaction was already confirmed. Therefore he'd rather want the stuck transaction to become purged/forgotten/totally replaced.

The only option is to do a RBF which will be easier if it was opt in from the initial broadcast of the transaction, but it doesn’t look like it was.

How do you come to the assumption that OP's transaction doesn't have RBF enabled? I don't think OP gave any details about it, but I could've missed something.

There might be enough nodes that already have Full-RBF enabled and from where you broadcast a replacement transaction it needs to be connected to such Full-RBF nodes otherwise your broadcast will be dropped.
legendary
Do you even want the transaction to confirm? In 2 months, Bitcoin's value went up a lot. So depending on what you're paying for, you may be paying too much now. It could also be the service canceled your order by now.
Your transaction even pays less than the Purging limit (currently 6.00 sat/vbyte). RBF shouldn't even matter, but it will depend on the wallet you used.
legendary
-------------
If the server you are connected to doesn't have the transaction in its mempool, you can easily make a new transaction.

If the server you are connected to has the transaction in its mempool and that transaction has not been flagged as RBF, electrum doesn't allow you to make a new transaction using the same inputs.
Take note that even if the server you are connected to has enabled full RBF for its node, it's electrum that doesn't allow you to replace the transaction with a new one and to replace the transaction, you first need to remove it from your wallet file.
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
I feel you misunderstood Charles-Tim.

Charles-Tim suggested trying to connect to different servers, so that OP can find a one that doesn't have the transaction in its mempool and he can broadcast a new transaction.
This has nothing to do with full RBF.

Yeah I know, maybe I didn’t put it out well. My Full RBF talk was just to let it known that nodes can replace a transaction without initial having a RBF opt in. And my thoughts were like before the new transaction can broadcasted you need to be connected to a server that has already dropped the transaction as you explained above, so that the full RBF node can just replace the transaction. Or is it possible to just broadcast a new transaction with the old one still visible (not local) on that server? I thought it will be treated as double spending and the broadcasting wouldn’t even go through? If it is possible then he doesn’t needs to switch servers then. He can just broadcast it and the full RBF nodes will replace there’s.
legendary
Still there is a way to actually replace it because most nodes now have their nodes settings as full RBF and will accept any replacement of transactions but that requires you to connect to that particular node that accept replacement which Charles-Tim post already explained above with electrum wallet by changing the servers.
I feel you misunderstood Charles-Tim.

Charles-Tim suggested trying to connect to different servers, so that OP can find a one that doesn't have the transaction in its mempool and he can broadcast a new transaction.
This has nothing to do with full RBF.
Activity: 672
Merit: 855

Does your stuck transaction has RBF enabled? Can your used wallet handle RBF replacements?

You already did your payment with a second transaction which got confirmed. CPFP would only make your first payment get confirmed which you don't want unless the recipient would be compliant to refund this doubled payment. The latter depends if you can contact the recipient and convince him to return it to you (minus transaction fees).

If RBF is possible for your stuck transaction, you could replace the transaction entirely with one that pays enough fee to get confirmed faster and that returns all coins into your own wallet.

The OP seems to be the sender of the transaction from his post I read and that doesn’t put him in the position of doing CPFP, as it is only the recipient with the unconfirmed child can be able to do a CPFP. What OP has is the parent transaction that is yet to get confirmed or purge out and he wishes to spend it in another transaction.

The only option is to do a RBF which will be easier if it was opt in from the initial broadcast of the transaction, but it doesn’t look like it was. Still there is a way to actually replace it because most nodes now have their nodes settings as full RBF and will accept any replacement of transactions but that requires you to connect to that particular node that accept replacement which Charles-Tim post already explained above with electrum wallet by changing the servers.

This way if you broadcast the new transaction even without a RBF initial opt in, all Full RBF nodes will replace it and if the new transaction gets confirmed first then the other non Full RBF nodes will not have any choice but to remove it from their mempool
Crypto Swap Exchange

Does your stuck transaction has RBF enabled? Can your used wallet handle RBF replacements?

You already did your payment with a second transaction which got confirmed. CPFP would only make your first payment get confirmed which you don't want unless the recipient would be compliant to refund this doubled payment. The latter depends if you can contact the recipient and convince him to return it to you (minus transaction fees).

If RBF is possible for your stuck transaction, you could replace the transaction entirely with one that pays enough fee to get confirmed faster and that returns all coins into your own wallet.

How did you choose a fee rate of only 4.4 sat/vbyte? Such a fee rate wouldn't have any chance to get confirmed for many past months and likely also weeks or months in the future. The inscriptions madness prevents drainage of mempools (or whatever shit is filling mempools).

Prior to submitting a transaction make it a habit to check current mempool level and fee rates, e.g. at https://mempool.space, on weekends fees are usually lower than on Mo-Fr.
Pages:
Jump to: