Pages:
Author

Topic: 2012-06-29 forbes.com - Wikipedia's lame excuse for not accepting BTC (Read 3755 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
From Mashable in 2010: "Google has opened up its charity wallet once again. This time, the search giant has donated $2,000,000 to the Wikimedia Foundation, the organization that runs and maintains Wikipedia."

Honnestly that's quite a big sum of money.  Do they really need that much to run webservers? Huh

Servers cost money, and so do the staff that run them. You can get copies of various financial reports here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Financial_reports and some more details here: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/FAQ/en#Where_can_I_find_more_financial_information.3F
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076
From Mashable in 2010: "Google has opened up its charity wallet once again. This time, the search giant has donated $2,000,000 to the Wikimedia Foundation, the organization that runs and maintains Wikipedia."

Honnestly that's quite a big sum of money.  Do they really need that much to run webservers? Huh
legendary
Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000
They are funded by Google, their largest donator, and it is a symbiotic relationship. Beggers can't be choosers. Always remember the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.

[Citation needed]

From Reuters in 2011: "But that may soon go away, thanks to Google co-founder Sergey Brin and his wife Anne Wojcicki.

The duo donated $500,000 to the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation, which runs Wikipedia and its sister sites, through their Brin Wojcicki Foundation."
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Or we could also fuck the CC-BY-SA and make an illegal fork on Tor.

Because CC-BY-SA makes forking a real pain in the ass, and that is why there are so few forks of wikipedia.

But then the audience would be severely diminished. The Pirate Wikipedia would have to be a LOT more useful. Being able to include ANY copyrighted content would sure help, though.

Hum... Piratepedia... that's interesting... an automatic copy/merge from everything in wikipedia, plus copyrighted content... Smiley
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Nice article. Wikimedia is being really hypocritical. Won't get any of my money anymore, until they change this.

By the way, Matonis forgot to mention the euro as one of the "under surveillance" currencies. France is in the group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship#.22Internet_enemies.22_and_countries_under_surveillance_lists
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
If they can be picky, I guess they don't need donations very badly. No problem.

They are funded by Google, their largest donator, and it is a symbiotic relationship. Beggers can't be choosers. Always remember the Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.

[Citation needed]
legendary
Activity: 1031
Merit: 1000

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

Why hasn't any bitcoin fan forked wikipedia already ?

I was thinking the same thing.  If you don't like how the Wikimedia Foundation operates, create your own.  The CC-BY-SA the content of Wikipedia is licensed under allows this to be done.

Because CC-BY-SA makes forking a real pain in the ass, and that is why there are so few forks of wikipedia.

But then the audience would be severely diminished. The Pirate Wikipedia would have to be a LOT more useful. Being able to include ANY copyrighted content would sure help, though.
legendary

I was thinking the same thing.  If you don't like how the Wikimedia Foundation operates, create your own.  The CC-BY-SA the content of Wikipedia is licensed under allows this to be done.

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

I was thinking the same thing.  If you don't like how the Wikimedia Foundation operates, create your own.  The CC-BY-SA the content of Wikipedia is licensed under allows this to be done.
legendary

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

Made me wonder the same. To me it seems like they think its far too much effort to turn bitcoins into $$$ to spend in fiat form and any company asking for donations that relates to such a stance is clearly just taking someone for a ride.

Ive allready gotten sick and tired of their constant begging post/spreads and what not on wikipedia and the sad faces of how much they need my help.
Activity: 950
We should check if Conservapedia will accept bitcoin, that would attract some attention from Wikipedians. Cheesy

We could also use bounties to improve specific articles, offering "X BTC worth of USD" and convert it ourselves. That would be worth asking about on the bounty talk page, though. I think it's particularly easy to raise international software bounties with bitcoin.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
It has been interpreted to be responsible and prudent to hold bitcoins as long as possible.
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
Do you see people? Do you see how afraid people are to risk facing violence in pursuit of their freedom? How do people ever expect to be free with this kind of mindset is beyond me, they might as well just walk inside an actual cage and sign a voluntary slave contract.
This.

They are playing politics is all it is.
And probably this too.
legendary
Activity: 910
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
Wikimedia Foundation does not need payment processing. What they need is donation processing, which is slightly different.
Using a single Bitcoin address might not be the best option from a privacy and accounting perspective and frankly I don't see the big advantage compared to the way bit-pay currently handles donation processing.
Anyway - that's a surely a minor detail not really relevant for Wikimedia's decision to refuse Bitcoin donations Sad
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145
The revolution will be monetized!
Hunger changes everything. Wiki is hurting for cash, I will only donate in bitcoin. Time is not on their side.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Nah-hah... screw that. Let them start accepting Bitcoin. All it takes is the slightest bit of spine. I for one would much rather donate my money to someone willing to accept BTC than to someone not willing.

Seriously, they aren't saying they don't know how, or that they don't see the return for the effort, or any other reason that might have a tinge of logic behind it, ... they are saying they don't want Bitcoin.  [And, by saying that, they are saying they don't want to promote Bitcoin or the idea that Bitcoin works as a payment system for donations.]

They are playing politics is all it is.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
bit-pay offers payment processing for 501(c)(3) organizations without charge and, as they claim, "ZERO Bitcoin Liability".
Maybe worth a shot for Tony to approach them directly suggesting and explaining this option.

We could also have a trusted member of the community collect donations for Wikimedia Foundation to be payed out as soon as they officially list Bitcoin as donation option. I don't think it would change anything though, because in the end they are probably just afraid to be associated with Bitcoin for whatever reason Sad
Wikimedia Foundation does not need payment processing. What they need is donation processing, which is slightly different.

They need to be able to set up an account and, instead of getting a shopping cart plugin, just have a bitcoin address for which all received funds (minus fees) will be autoconverted to USD and deposited for them. Then they have no more excuse for not accepting bitcoin donations.
Pages:
Jump to: