Pages:
Author

Topic: 2012-06-29 forbes.com - Wikipedia's lame excuse for not accepting BTC - page 2. (Read 3755 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
bit-pay offers payment processing for 501(c)(3) organizations without charge and, as they claim, "ZERO Bitcoin Liability".
Maybe worth a shot for Tony to approach them directly suggesting and explaining this option.

We could also have a trusted member of the community collect donations for Wikimedia Foundation to be payed out as soon as they officially list Bitcoin as donation option. I don't think it would change anything though, because in the end they are probably just afraid to be associated with Bitcoin for whatever reason Sad

Nah-hah... screw that. Let them start accepting Bitcoin. All it takes is the slightest bit of spine. I for one would much rather donate my money to someone willing to accept BTC than to someone not willing.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1001
Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data
bit-pay offers payment processing for 501(c)(3) organizations without charge and, as they claim, "ZERO Bitcoin Liability".
Maybe worth a shot for Tony to approach them directly suggesting and explaining this option.

We could also have a trusted member of the community collect donations for Wikimedia Foundation to be payed out as soon as they officially list Bitcoin as donation option. I don't think it would change anything though, because in the end they are probably just afraid to be associated with Bitcoin for whatever reason Sad
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
"This has been interpreted" -- note the weasel passive voice, interpreted by whom?

A drunk homeless man in central park who read it from a piece of paper handed to him by a wikipedia employee in exchange for $5 (full faith and credit dollars not BTC of course).

wikileaks answer is just idiotic.  At least with EFF while disappointing their answer didn't insult the intelligence of the user.  I have donated to wikipedia every single year in the past.  I never held their not accepting bitcoins against them.  I won't be donating in the future.  That answer is false and insulting to me and other donators.
Activity: 283
Merit: 250
My guess is that this is echo-on effects from the wikileaks stuff. Because wikileaks uses wikimedia software already, I guess they're trying to distance themselves by not accepting funding in the same manner. But I think this is incredibly stupid and short-sighted thinking.

-bgc
Activity: 323
That reason they give is patently ridiculous. They have a fiduciary responsibility? To whom? Well, to the person who gave them the money. If that person wants to give them money in BTC, how can it be a dereliction of duty to accept it? If they want, they can convert it immediately into FRNs.

"This has been interpreted" -- note the weasel passive voice, interpreted by whom?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Do you see people? Do you see how afraid people are to risk facing violence in pursuit of their freedom? How do people ever expect to be free with this kind of mindset is beyond me, they might as well just walk inside an actual cage and sign a voluntary slave contract.

Rock on Matonis, call out those enslaved pussies!
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
Important topic. We really should convince Wikipedia to finally get on board with the Bitcoin train. It's long overdue.
Activity: 323
Wikipedia Accepts 'Enemies Of The Internet' Currencies

Jon Matonis

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/06/29/wikipedia-accepts-enemies-of-the-internet-currencies/

Following the disappointing example last year from the Electronic Freedom Foundation, Wikimedia specifically excludes donations in bitcoin and explains it with this odd statement:

Why does the Wikimedia Foundation not currently accept Bitcoin? The Wikimedia Foundation, as a donor-driven organization, has a fiduciary duty to be responsible and prudent with its money. This has been interpreted to mean that we do not accept ‘artificial’ currencies – that is, those not backed by the full faith and credit of an issuing government. We do, however, strive to provide as many methods of donating as possible and continue to monitor Bitcoin with interest and may revisit this position should circumstances change.
Pages:
Jump to: