Pages:
Author

Topic: 2012-10-21 Warren Mosler about Bitcoin (Read 5506 times)

legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
June 11, 2016, 04:12:04 PM
He seems to be on his toes when it comes to economics and world finance, and he has now spoken about our digital goodness, commenting on bitcoin-central.com which is the first Bitcoin exchange to become a federally backed bank

Necro-posting shill.

Piss off...
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
June 11, 2016, 01:01:09 AM
He seems to be on his toes when it comes to economics and world finance, and he has now spoken about our digital goodness, commenting on bitcoin-central.com which is the first Bitcoin exchange to become a federally backed bank
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
March 04, 2013, 10:17:22 AM
Again Wink
http://moslereconomics.com/2012/12/10/bitcoins-join-global-bank-network/

I think that opening this topic on his page was the worst thing that he could do Grin

It should provide some good entertainment though ... he seems to have relented and admitted bitcoin can be used as a "currency", just for value transfer .... but then goes on to say "oh my gosh, who would use it to store value??" .... ergo it can't possibly be money.

Bitcoin hoarders eat these kind of guys for breakfast ....  Cheesy
I think Mosler have a lot of good insights, he is just a very opnioned and think he is right all the time. At least he see values of bitcoin as a payment network, and from here, things can change. Bitcoin is in the "bootstrapping" mode, so at this stage it is now unfair to say it is not a currency, it is probably not a "payment network" either, it is in its infancy/toddler that a rich guy as Mosler really have no incentive to jump in rather than wait and see. If things kicks off, he can easily jump may be $100 MM in , so no doublt he is not interested in now.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
March 04, 2013, 10:05:33 AM
Has Mosler started hoarding BTC?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
December 10, 2012, 08:20:41 PM
Again Wink

I think that opening this topic on his page was the worst thing that he could do Grin

It should provide some good entertainment though ... he seems to have relented and admitted bitcoin can be used as a "currency", just for value transfer .... but then goes on to say "oh my gosh, who would use it to store value??" .... ergo it can't possibly be money.

Bitcoin hoarders eat these kind of guys for breakfast ....  Cheesy
staff
Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203
I support freedom of choice
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
December 10, 2012, 08:17:33 PM

For him or for Bitcoin?

From another thread:

It looks like finally the point is getting across that Bitcoin can be useful no matter what the exchange rate.

That would be describing it as having intrinsic demand then, wouldn't it?  Cheesy
staff
December 10, 2012, 07:50:21 PM
Again Wink

staff
November 12, 2012, 03:30:16 AM
If you want to talk with him, he has this website:
http://moslereconomics.com/
Activity: 115
November 10, 2012, 01:12:01 PM
I'd REALLY like to see someone bounce silkroad off of Mosler as a source of final demand. That would likely change his mind (and we would have a new ally).
No, it will not: Mosler wants to be able to print infinite amount of money on demand.

Ah, you are right. Even if he were convinced that SR was final demand, (and therefore that BTC had "Mosler-value"), this would likely not be enough to make him a BTC ally.

Or you can all continue to make fun of someone via pseudo-anonymous internet post that no one will see.

It is actually pretty effective, take a look around .... "no one will see" is misguided. Asymmetric information is all about getting it to the "right" people ... who cares if Mosler knows about Silk Road? If he can't find out for himself he's not doing the right kind of research and is probably a dinosaur from the old days where knowledge was found in libraries ... he talks like that.

I would say that I am 'somewhat' about getting it to 'more' people...are the people of bitcointalk satisfied with reaching only the community of their own forum?

Still you raise a good point, that anyone with Google making an honest attempt to research Bitcoin would have found SR by themselves (there is even an old-school academic paper from Carnegie Mellon about both SR and BTC).
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
November 06, 2012, 04:06:36 AM
Or you can all continue to make fun of someone via pseudo-anonymous internet post that no one will see.

It is actually pretty effective, take a look around .... "no one will see" is misguided. Asymmetric information is all about getting it to the "right" people ... who cares if Mosler knows about Silk Road? If he can't find out for himself he's not doing the right kind of research and is probably a dinosaur from the old days where knowledge was found in libraries ... he talks like that.

His arrogant dismissal of the question deserves all the opprobrium that should come to him ... he's just not a good economist because his mind is closed shut, and he made that patently obvious in the space of less than 5 minutes. He is the worst kind of economist typical of the dismal science branch (i.e. not scientific in the slightest but politic to the full).
donator
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
November 06, 2012, 04:03:12 AM
In 10 years this will be gold Cheesy
+1. Dinosaurs in action. 
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
November 06, 2012, 03:53:59 AM
I'd REALLY like to see someone bounce silkroad off of Mosler as a source of final demand. That would likely change his mind (and we would have a new ally).
No, it will not: Mosler wants to be able to print infinite amount of money on demand.
Activity: 115
November 06, 2012, 12:13:41 AM
Woah woah don't freak out everyone...jeeze anyone who raises concerns about our project is insta-shunned, its madness I say.

He is actually just restating the Mises Regression Theorem (we all love Mises, right?)....the 'seed value' Mosler is looking for (ie the "final demand" or "the thing that you can only buy with BTC and nothing else"), exists in several places, namely low-cost/instant international payments, unfreezable accounts, inflation-proof, etc.
Yeah, but those are monetary properties. It sounds like he's saying that the "seed value" has to be either (a) the state forcing you to pay taxes in the currency or (b) a non-monetary use for the commodity.  But it seems to me that the supposed requirement for a "seed value" is just an acknowledgement of the bootstrapping problem that confronts any new would-be currency.  Money relies on network effects.  If a commodity has not yet come to be accepted as money and it also doesn't have any non-monetary usefulness, why would anyone ever be the first person to trade their goods or services for it?  The answer is simple: speculation.  People first assigned value to bitcoins because of its incredible monetary properties.  They reasoned that other people would also come to appreciate those properties and value bitcoins for the same reason.  And they were right. You can now trade other currencies for bitcoins on an open market. And you can also use them to buy many goods and services directly. So... does a currency need a "seed value" of the type described above to become valued? No. It's an empirical question, and it's now been answered.  So I just don't get how anyone could still be hung up on this issue. 

I would actually argue that:
1) There must be seed-value pre-speculation (ie, WHY will this thing retain or increase its value).
2) A "non-monetary use" would INCLUDE (a) taxes [and a solution to the network-effects-coordination problem (of which, again, one solution would be taxes)], making that somewhat redundant.
3) Therefore, money does require seed-value to become valued.

And, even though I agree with your insight, that the seed-value might need to be non-monetary, its pretty irrelevant because I completely forgot to mention silkroad.

In fact, in (subconscious?) conformity to the regression theorem, I personally thought bitcoins were a strange scam until I read the SR wired article, at which point my opinion changed completely.

I'd REALLY like to see someone bounce silkroad off of Mosler as a source of final demand. That would likely change his mind (and we would have a new ally). I'll do it if no one else will, but I've never been in contact with him.

Or you can all continue to make fun of someone via pseudo-anonymous internet post that no one will see. I has hear that help teh bitcoin.
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
November 03, 2012, 08:06:29 AM
his paycheck depends on him not understanding..
+1
+2

That's why I wrote "He's just doing his job" ;-)
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
November 02, 2012, 12:52:14 PM
Economists have the best job in the world. Make predictions and theories, then conveniently forget when they fail - and keep your job in the process! If only the rest of us could have the same sheltered existence.

Seeing an economist try to understand Bitcoin is like watching your grandparents try to manipulate a smartphone. Painfully embarrassing.
legendary
Eadem mutata resurgo
October 28, 2012, 09:38:08 PM
No. It's an empirical question, and it's now been answered.  So I just don't get how anyone could still be hung up on this issue. 

As I said he's a theoretician of money not a practitioner.

Ask some self-made from nothing, super rich guy, not an economist, if you want to hear what a practitioner of money thinks.

Activity: 342
Merit: 250
October 28, 2012, 08:29:05 AM
Woah woah don't freak out everyone...jeeze anyone who raises concerns about our project is insta-shunned, its madness I say.

He is actually just restating the Mises Regression Theorem (we all love Mises, right?)....the 'seed value' Mosler is looking for (ie the "final demand" or "the thing that you can only buy with BTC and nothing else"), exists in several places, namely low-cost/instant international payments, unfreezable accounts, inflation-proof, etc.
Yeah, but those are monetary properties. It sounds like he's saying that the "seed value" has to be either (a) the state forcing you to pay taxes in the currency or (b) a non-monetary use for the commodity.  But it seems to me that the supposed requirement for a "seed value" is just an acknowledgement of the bootstrapping problem that confronts any new would-be currency.  Money relies on network effects.  If a commodity has not yet come to be accepted as money and it also doesn't have any non-monetary usefulness, why would anyone ever be the first person to trade their goods or services for it?  The answer is simple: speculation.  People first assigned value to bitcoins because of its incredible monetary properties.  They reasoned that other people would also come to appreciate those properties and value bitcoins for the same reason.  And they were right. You can now trade other currencies for bitcoins on an open market. And you can also use them to buy many goods and services directly. So... does a currency need a "seed value" of the type described above to become valued? No. It's an empirical question, and it's now been answered.  So I just don't get how anyone could still be hung up on this issue. 
donator
Activity: 544
Merit: 500
October 27, 2012, 02:47:13 PM
I believe that bitcoin is a revolutionary money system for citizens, but i dont believe that can to be used for legal tender...but my opinion could be wrong
The only purpose of legal tender is to perpetrate a transfer of wealth against the wishes of the public. Some call it theft. Whatever you call it, it's not a macroeconomic phenomenon.

Bitcoin is the opposite of legal tender, it is a money chosen by the market. It transfers the control over money from the state to the public. It makes no sense to make it legal tender, similarly as it makes no sense to put John Lennon in charge of the military.
Activity: 725
Merit: 500
October 27, 2012, 12:55:20 PM
This guy has never been to a single lecture in physics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_DO0SpiYyY

Not a single politician/economist with a tie has ever learned about the natural environment of the planet earth, this is why we are heading straight to hell.

Buckle up, bitcoin is NOT going to save you if this guy is in charge. He and Bernanke will print until there's noting left to consume, it will delay the implosion of our energy economy, but it will make it worse!
Pages:
Jump to: