Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-02-26 Zerohedge.com - Alternative Currency Goes Mainstream As Bitcoin ATMs (Read 1783 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
You have two cows, you sell them for bitcoins, now you have less bullshit to worry about.

This is great! I will need to steal this.  Where'd you steal it from Money?
Activity: 315
Merit: 255

Your post attempts to criticise BITCOIN on

[...]

I like the inclusion of your logical fallacy section, and also your final section and the beginning 4 () points are good too, but I think

( ) Your argument uses certain terms INCORRECTLY. These words/concepts have a specific meaning but you obviously don't know what it is.
( ) Your arguments/conclusions are incorrect due to BAD INPUT DATA.
( ) Your arguments/conclusions are flawed due to BAD PROCESSING.

Isn't great because it's sounds slightly emotional / arrogant rather than logical / reasonable. I think we need a benevolent, friendly tone to the whole thing, don't you? If two sides are arguing, the side that is getting the least emotional always looks like the winner!
Activity: 382
Merit: 253
Quote from: PeakOil
Bitcoin as a store of value or "wealth", no. But as a short term medium of exchange quite possibly.

This is the sort of open-minded person you want to reach and have look into bitcoin.
I presume a number of ZH lurkers will have similar thoughts.

That's the exact route that got me understanding it. First accept it as merely a medium of exchange, then after using it a bit finally start to understand the full value.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
Quote from: PeakOil

What a fascinating discussion! Thanks everyone for your diverse & strongly expressed points of view.

Disclaimer: I am long physical PMs.

Must admit I had dismissed Bitcoin out of hand previously. However after reading tonight's posts I'm willing to give this another look.

Bitcoin as a store of value or "wealth", no. But as a short term medium of exchange quite possibly.

Very interesting concept. I will be watching this more closely in future.

This is the sort of open-minded person you want to reach and have look into bitcoin.
I presume a number of ZH lurkers will have similar thoughts.
Activity: 227
I tried my best guys - honestly I did. But they have a few hardcore trolls in there going on and on about the same strawman arguments.

Hazek and a few others helped - so thanks for that. Man, crazy amount of reads this article is getting 11k and it wasn't posted that long ago.

I'm convinced "Xeno Frog" works for a bank or a big payment processor.

It was very frustrating reading through the plethora of ignorant comments but I guess it's to be expected given the relative infancy of BTC. I'm still irritated that many gold bugs can't grasp the concept of BTC. I think there's probably an average of a 20-40 year age gap between ZH posters and BF posters which accounts for their refusal to accept non-tangible cryptocurrencies.  Overall, great job by you, Hazek and others at making the case for BTC but there is only so much you can do. Evolution and adoption of new paradigms usually move at a slow and frustrating pace for those on the cutting edge.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
let's not forget that it was Krieger writing this article.  which means he's going to keep talking about it in a positive way.  that's all that matters right now.
legendary
Damn. They had what appeared to be GIRLS fighting over the details (whether or not it's a pyramid scheme etc.) Is this bullish? Cheesy

How do you tell?
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
Nice one about the response-FAQ. I'm too tired to contribute at the moment, but I'm sure you'll cover the common arguments.

Update on the article - its been read over 22,000 times, and has over 500 responses. We've seen some people seriously change their minds about the whole process. I've tried very hard not to get personal and address the arguments as they present themselves in a logical manner.

I think this tack and that of everyone who participated today has helped people get a basic understanding of how important this system is.

I'm tired, time to sleep Smiley

4. It's a ponzi/pyramid scheme because early adopters...
5. It's not backed by anything. Real commodities (gold etc.) have "intrinsic" value.
6. It's open source. Someone could just change the algorithm and create lots of coins for themselves.
7. It's open source. I could just create a competing currency and crash Bitcoin's exchange rate.

Oh the ponzi scheme one.. how could I forget. It's probably the worst of them all.

Here I found the spam joke http://craphound.com/spamsolutions.txt

I've whipped up a quick version during my coffee break. Introducing "Operation Anti-FUD" https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z9iMl76JeumZPgmv1JP6RnACGpQpggOTADrP5C3qAfw/pub
Activity: 520
Merit: 500
I love Zerohedge primarily because the commentators have developed a highly evolved level of internet sarcasm and snarkiness.
Activity: 451
Merit: 250
Excellent although it's very sad to see so many religious fanatics polluting the comments.  Roll Eyes

I used to read ZeroHedge, but then I started reading the comments and realized what a load of trash it really is. It is just pandering to far-right gold bugs and mocking the "current system" without presenting solutions or constructive ideas.

"Pandering to far-right gold bugs"

Yes that's me; I came as soon as i heard!

ZeroHedge is the best site on the net.  Your loss if the information there is presented in a manner too indelicate for your precious normative sensibilities.   Grin

I do think it's tremendously entertaining, but far from what I consider a legitimate source
Activity: 210
This article is really great news, good to see how it's quite positive on Bitcoin as well. I used to read ZeroHedge daily a couple of years ago and never bothered to read the comments, because they were (and still are) usually full of shit (silver, bitchez!!!1!!).

The thing is, ZeroHedge is actively followed by the financial press because they are quick with rumors, although they are wrong most of the time anyway. If Tyler Durden says Bitcoin is going mainstream, bankers and investors will follow suit.
legendary
Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

what irks me is that bitcoin is voluntary, fiat is not. You don't like bitcoin, fine - don't work for it don't offer to pay in it. If you don't deal in it, it can not hurt you. But the attitude from bitcoin naysayers is that we need to force some standard to be accepted.
You know how when companies deal with many of the same enquiries over email, they setup autoresponse templates? We need something similar for ignorant comments about Bitcoin on ZH/Slashdot.

Here is my very quick Bitcoin FAC (frequently asserted criticisms)

1. Bitcoin is centrally controlled, and we can't trust it
2. Bitcoin will be hacked
3. Bitcoin will never succeed because of the deflationary flaw in its nature (ie. feature)

What other complaints are common?

Actually, does anyone here remember the old joke which starts with "You have proposed a solution to spam which ... your solution fails to take into account ... " and then you tick all the boxes? It gets posted on Slashdot quite a bit. We need one of those but for Bitcoin, like "You are criticizing Bitcoin because ... your logic is flawed because ...". 
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014
Strength in numbers
You have two cows, you sell them for bitcoins, now you have less bullshit to worry about.
legendary
Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121
I tried my best guys - honestly I did. But they have a few hardcore trolls in there going on and on about the same strawman arguments.

Hazek and a few others helped - so thanks for that. Man, crazy amount of reads this article is getting 11k and it wasn't posted that long ago.

I'm convinced "Xeno Frog" works for a bank or a big payment processor.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Excellent although it's very sad to see so many religious fanatics polluting the comments.  Roll Eyes

I used to read ZeroHedge, but then I started reading the comments and realized what a load of trash it really is. It is just pandering to far-right gold bugs and mocking the "current system" without presenting solutions or constructive ideas.

"Pandering to far-right gold bugs"

Yes that's me; I came as soon as i heard!

ZeroHedge is the best site on the net.  Your loss if the information there is presented in a manner too indelicate for your precious normative sensibilities.   Grin

legendary
Activity: 1078

Actually the tone from them was less hostile than previous mentions of Bitcoin there. At least that's what it seemed from my glancing over.

You never know judging only by what comments there are. There are significantly more readers than comments and who knows what the majority of readers think.. It's why when I try to combat such comments I try to think of the undecided readers and try to word my replies in such a way that would persuade them and not the actual commenter I'm replying to. I know I have virtually no chance of changing his mind.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

Actually the tone from them was less hostile than previous mentions of Bitcoin there. At least that's what it seemed from my glancing over.
legendary
let's not forget the Michael Krieger is a regular poster on ZH.  he also gets out and does podcast interviews from time to time.  he's very vocal and visable.

this is great news.
Pages:
Jump to: