Pages:
Author

Topic: 2013-06-23 Forbes - Bitcoin Foundation Receives Cease And Desist Order From Ca - page 4. (Read 9548 times)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Capitalism is the crisis.
Well, technically though the Foundation develops the software...
The Bitcoin Foundation does that.
The BitCoin Foundation does not exist.

Dat C.
Wow someone in California has been misinformed...

This makes about as much sense as sending a letter to the Salvation Army telling them to disband their unauthorized military forces.
Only if you sent the letter to the SalVation Army.

Ill be honest, they are really starting to clamp down hard in the U.S and is making me nervous.

With this exception of this California action, everything else in the US has been completely consistent with existing US law.

I am speaking of the recent developments with the IRS and FinCen along with this as well as the numerous services surrounding bitcoin that have gone down.

As am I.  Recent developments with the IRS and FinCEN are entirely consistent with US law as it has existed for years.  Ditto Mutum Sigillium seizure warrant. Tax and MSB implications were directly addressed years ago in my State of the Coin 2011 presentation, among others.  If you operate outside the law in your jurisdiction, the obvious result occurs... eventually.

Then I must be confused with the state of things then. I was under the impression that the recent IRS (or was it FinCen??) ruling/statement was that mining bitcoins will/may require an MSB/MT licensure.

I could be wrong and hope I am, I am not trolling I truly want to know.
Mining AND THEN SELLING for $ requires a license.

Edit: emphasis
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
... it only gets better...
Well, technically though the Foundation develops the software...
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001
Wow someone in California has been misinformed...

This makes about as much sense as sending a letter to the Salvation Army telling them to disband their unauthorized military forces.
It's just some idiot government critter thinking the foundation is something like "Bitcoin Corporation".

Correct.

It would be fun watching the foundation be disbanded anyway.

Most of the forum idiots here do not seem to realize that the Bitcoin Foundation is taking slings and arrows on behalf of others, fighting for bitcoin acceptance.

When you fight for bitcoin, people fight back.

It would be a loss for all if the Bitcoin Foundation goes away.

You cant possibly make that assertion in an unbiased way as the foundation pay the core development team.

There's pros and cons.  The US conference I thought was fantastic.

But the foundation introduces a central point of failure.

It's way to early to say whether it is a loss or a gain, especially if they are breaking the law.

Failure?
From the foundation's site:
Our mission is to help people exchange resources and ideas more freely. We approach that mission with Bitcoin’s technology and community as our focus. There is tremendous potential in Bitcoin—from the opportunities it creates for entrepreneurs to the purchasing power it provides for citizens of countries large and small. Our goal is to help Bitcoin deliver on that potential. Bitcoin Foundation has chosen three primary objectives for fulfilling its mission. We believe that these activities will be of the greatest benefit to the Bitcoin community: Standardizing Bitcoin Standardizing Bitcoin As a non-political online money, Bitcoin is backed exclusively by code. This means that—ultimately—it is only as good as its software design. By funding the Bitcoin infrastructure, including a core development team, we can make Bitcoin more respected, trusted and useful to people worldwide. Protecting Bitcoin Protecting Bitcoin Cryptography is the key to Bitcoin’s success. It’s the reason that no one can double spend, counterfeit or steal Bitcoins. If Bitcoin is to be a viable money for both current users and future adopters, we need to maintain, improve and legally protect the integrity of the protocol. Promoting Bitcoin Promoting Bitcoin In the context of public misunderstandings, misinterpretations and misrepresentations, Bitcoin needs to be clearer about its purpose and technology. Allowing the community to speak through a single source will enable Bitcoin to improve its reputation.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091
You cant possibly make that assertion in an unbiased way as the foundation pay the core development team.

The foundation pays Gavin.  That's it.  All other core devs are employed by other organizations, and (AFAIK) receive zero income from the Bitcoin Foundation.

Activity: 756
Bit Foundation is to promote the understanding of Bitcoin, what has it got to do with any transactions?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2013/06/23/bitcoin-foundation-receives-cease-and-desist-order-from-california/

Directly following last month’s Bitcoin 2013 conference event in San Jose, CA that brought good revenue into the state, California’s Department of Financial Institutions decided to issue a cease and desist warning to conference organizer Bitcoin Foundation for allegedly engaging in the business of money transmission without a license or proper authorization.

... Then, they fight us ...

They don't fight "us". They fight a despicable scam, in this case.

So if the foundation does file, pays the US$5K, and gets this license.  Do we all become "agents" or "affiliates" acting under this license?
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=fin&group=01001-02000&file=2000-2003

Very interesting take on the situation.
I wonder how many members are not registered.
Only 14 companies appear to be listed on https://bitcoinfoundation.org/members.
I'm guessing theyre getting a crazy influx of donations atm.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
It's just some idiot government critter thinking the foundation is something like "Bitcoin Corporation".

Correct.

Most of the forum idiots here do not seem to realize that the Bitcoin Foundation is taking slings and arrows on behalf of others, fighting for bitcoin acceptance.

There's pros and cons.  The US conference I thought was fantastic.

But the foundation introduces a central point of failure.

It's way to early to say whether it is a loss or a gain, especially if they are breaking the law.

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
There is no question that US authorities are ramping up enforcement of existing law.

FinCEN has only recently released their interpretation of the law ... which is a questionable action at best and not tried in any court AFAIK. Law enforcement "rulings", "guidelines" and other edicts only carry as much weight as the guy on the street corner in sandwich boards, until they have legal precedence from court cases. Although over-reach and general throwing weight around of egotistical LE could ruin many lives until a real legal case is settled.

IMHO, USA is definitely going to be an unfriendly place to do bitcoin business. The banksters own the politicians and  the spooks have got the goods on everyone ... why the hell would an innovative monetary/finance system be allowed to flourish?

Lord Camden was the author of a principle that says anything the state (or a state agency) does must be expressly authorised in law - but an individual may do anything except that which is forbidden by law.

Is bitcoin transacting expressly forbidden by the law?
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
I was thinking about joining this ... but if they are breaking the law, that's a disincentive.  

Perhaps we should find a way to give donations without going through a third party ...

There's this fabulous new tech thing called Bitcoin. You should check it out sometime.

It would be a huge loss IMO as well.

Not hardly. On the balance of things the pretenders have done marginally more damage than useful things for BTC, and that before the recent nonsense.

Most people here DO realize that the pretend-foundation has a chairman that's also the treasurer.

Most people here DO realize that the pretend-foundation has been swindling the community out of "donations", but it has yet to publish its finances.

Most people here DO realize that the pretend-foundation has no particular relation to Bitcoin, but it is using the pretense of such a relation to sell "credibility" to various scams. Like MtGox, like BFL, like etc.

What some people here do not realize (and yes I mean you) is that by standing up for scammers you end up just as fucked as they are. Find a better hobby.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
And so it begins...

Yeah well, not that the bitcoin foundation is related to bitcoin anyway
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
Why would an association need a license to be a money transmitter?  The association is not doing anything illegal by any standards?Huh    Just crazy....
Activity: 672
Activity: 350
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2013/06/23/bitcoin-foundation-receives-cease-and-desist-order-from-california/

Directly following last month’s Bitcoin 2013 conference event in San Jose, CA that brought good revenue into the state, California’s Department of Financial Institutions decided to issue a cease and desist warning to conference organizer Bitcoin Foundation for allegedly engaging in the business of money transmission without a license or proper authorization.

... Then, they fight us ...

I was thinking about joining this ... but if they are breaking the law, that's a disincentive. 

Perhaps we should find a way to give donations without going through a third party ...
Activity: 392
♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫
Ill be honest, they are really starting to clamp down hard in the U.S and is making me nervous.

With this exception of this California action, everything else in the US has been completely consistent with existing US law.

I am speaking of the recent developments with the IRS and FinCen along with this as well as the numerous services surrounding bitcoin that have gone down.

As am I.  Recent developments with the IRS and FinCEN are entirely consistent with US law as it has existed for years.  Ditto Mutum Sigillium seizure warrant. Tax and MSB implications were directly addressed years ago in my State of the Coin 2011 presentation, among others.  If you operate outside the law in your jurisdiction, the obvious result occurs... eventually.

Then I must be confused with the state of things then. I was under the impression that the recent IRS (or was it FinCen??) ruling/statement was that mining bitcoins will/may require an MSB/MT licensure.

I could be wrong and hope I am, I am not trolling I truly want to know.
legendary

There is no question that US authorities are ramping up enforcement of existing law.

It would be a huge loss IMO as well.

I will edit this post with links if you guys need them.
legendary

Correct.

legendary

Pages:
Jump to: