Pages:
Author

Topic: [2018-02-12]Bitmain To Release Ethereum ASIC Miner F3 With 72Gb DDR3 Dram In Q2 - page 4. (Read 10452 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/26/analyst-slashes-amd-nvidia-price-targets-on-new-cryptocurrency-mining-chip-from-china.html

"During our travels through Asia last week, we confirmed that Bitmain has already developed an ASIC [application-specific integrated circuit] for mining Ethereum, and is readying the supply chain for shipments in 2Q18," analyst Christopher Rolland wrote in a note to clients Monday. "While Bitmain is likely to be the largest ASIC vendor (currently 70-80% of Bitcoin mining ASICs) and the first to market with this product, we have learned of at least three other companies working on Ethereum ASICs, all at various stages of development."

Why wait three years to develop ETH ASIC? And then release it just before the rumored POS switch?
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1174
Always remember the cause!
Not sure about how it is possible to crack Dagger-Hashimoto algorithm  but I'm more than confident it wont be a profitable business for Bitmain or any other party who attempts to do so.

First of all, this is a crack, ASIC is a crack by definition and bitcoin's SHA2 is a cracked algorithm. It is never a good news for an algorithm and its users that it has been broken by a specialized devil chip.

Bitcoin has tolerated this crack because it has no other choice, this community is too divergent to reach a consensus about such a big issue, changing PoW algorithm, but just take a look at Monero, they will change their algo in a matter of weeks and nobody will care about a Monero-Classic (whatever) dominated by Bitmain ASICs and abandoned by the lead developers.

It is why I don't believe Bitmain to do such a crazy risk. developing an ASIC is a hell of an investment and Vitalik Buterin is not the one who you should mess with. They have not devised an ASIC resistant algorithm in Ethereum.org to be simply broken by a crazy investor. They won't say: Well, let Bitmain take control we will switch to PoS eventually.

Ethereum is not bitcoin, you can not, you should not touch it without double checking everything with the community and the dot ORG and believe me they don't like ASICs  Wink

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

198mh/s @760w?

That is better than most gpu hash/w rates.

Im assuming BITMAIN is gonna trounce all over this.

It's not much better than a standard 6 card GTX 1070 rig
One of my current *5* card GTX 1070 rigs (the only one on an Intel MB at this point) pulls 155-156 Mhash at a little over 600 watts - WITH the G4600 CPU mining Monero.

I think I've seen info about this one elsewhere that it's an 8 card 1060 based machine using those "passive cooled" type cards intended for notebook usage.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

More likely someone using Nicehash, or a GPU farm that didn't bother with individual names for it's workers.

The pattern of work looks more like a large Nicehash buyer though.

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

holy crap.. this explains why there has been a sudden surge of 20-30 TH/s on ethermine pool in the last month alone. It is insane. RIP eth mining.
Very much possible

Hi All.

If we do the math, this would be like the power of 30.000 gpu's with a hashrate of 33Mhs which costs 500-600$, I think an asic could produce more hashrate than a gpu but I think is not going to increase the hashrate of a 3.000$ hardware which cost 5X more than a gpu to a 30.000 times which a gpu produces.

So, as you can name different workers with the same name and you can seen it in Ethermine as just 1 worker, is hard to know the hardware of this worker, and in addition if I would have this equipment,and it would be an asic, why any company would sell it, would be more profitable to keep it and continue mining than sell this technology.

Activity: 129
Merit: 10
Keeping an eye on this for sure.
Activity: 420
Merit: 255

holy crap.. this explains why there has been a sudden surge of 20-30 TH/s on ethermine pool in the last month alone. It is insane. RIP eth mining.
Very much possible
Activity: 12

Activity: 65

Color me confused...but won't ethereum just FORK

I know the Baikal N unit is gonna try to slam a mess of GPU coins with that ASIC and there

is a groundswell to fork and make the units doorstops before they even ship

(fun times)

or does Bitmain have enough of a solution with other coins this does not matter

anyway, curious on their options ...on such...

I think ETH can increase the GPU memory usage to 7-10GB or higher, then the ASIC might be useless.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!

Color me confused...but won't ethereum just FORK

I know the Baikal N unit is gonna try to slam a mess of GPU coins with that ASIC and there

is a groundswell to fork and make the units doorstops before they even ship

(fun times)

or does Bitmain have enough of a solution with other coins this does not matter

anyway, curious on their options ...on such...

Activity: 140
Merit me or don't.
bitmain is just effectively packing 18*4GB Gpus onto 3 compute boards and optimizing the bus so they work more effective(less power usage). with the p104 hasing @40Mhs, 18 of them would be 720Mhs but using over 2kW.

I wouldnt really call this an ASIC.

Regardless of power consumption, I think people are more worried about its easy purchasing and thus upping the universal hash rate and difficulty.
Its the first ETH ASIC so it's not going to be amazing. But it is the start of ASIC attack that is a worry.

Hoping for PoS soon.
Activity: 129
These guys have probably been running them for months and will only release when ROI is over 6 months.

http://www.baikalminer.com/index.php#page-top

Indeed. You hit the nail right on the head.
Activity: 27
bitmain is just effectively packing 18*4GB Gpus onto 3 compute boards and optimizing the bus so they work more effective(less power usage). with the p104 hasing @40Mhs, 18 of them would be 720Mhs but using over 2kW.

I wouldnt really call this an ASIC.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
These guys have probably been running them for months and will only release when ROI is over 6 months.

http://www.baikalminer.com/index.php#page-top
Activity: 186
Merit: 4
ETH will be great again, a coin for long term holding.
Yeah the ASICs will drive the price crazy high. Just HOLD ethereum
Let's hope they don't Sell too many.. And make it non profitable.

Non profitable to mine = people will prefer to buy ethereums = higher ethereum price

We will see only the future will show Smiley

you people really haven't bothered to look at how mining works, or history...
Activity: 27

Nice find dude.
One worker 725g/h sure looks like one to me...  no more new gpus for me. Cry

it is definitely not one. You can have all your rigs use the same worker name and it will all be aggregated into 1.

The only reason to split them up is to debug which one has problems. If you dont mind or has other ways to monitor then you can simply have them all register using 1 worker name.
Activity: 94
Merit: 5
Activity: 38
ETH will be great again, a coin for long term holding.
Yeah the ASICs will drive the price crazy high. Just HOLD ethereum

That just hasn't happened for other coins though, LTC, DASH, SIA...
Unless Bitmain makes an official statement, the F3 remains nothing more than a rumor, one that makes little sense with Casper crawling closer.
Pages:
Jump to: