Pages:
Author

Topic: 22 Kids Stabbed At School In China - page 8. (Read 15564 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
December 17, 2012, 03:04:48 PM
Guns are for killing. Nothing else. Unlike cars, trains, planes, knives, axes and lawnmowers.

No. Guns are for projecting lead, usually copper-jacketed lead, at a point in the distance.

That poor defenseless watermelon. Murdered in it's prime.

Killing another human being is, statistically, the least significant use guns are put to.

There are many guns (possibly even most) which have never killed a human being. Almost all of the guns which have are property (or were at the time) of a government. There are, additionally, guns which, despite the relatively high number of times they have been used, have never killed anything, except possibly watermelons.

So?

So your argument is invalid.

In what way?

You said that guns are for killing, and have no other purpose. I showed that guns, first off, do not have that purpose at all, unless given to them by the user (not the manufacturer). To quote William Gibson (from off his twitter feed, just now, @GreatDismal), A gun is like a very long, very fast temporary finger, but of very limited utility: instantly pokes a hole in a distant object.

That's all it does. Secondly, I showed that that distant object is almost never a person. Usually it's a piece of paper, or a fruit, or a milk jug full of water. Once in a while it's an animal.

So guns a) have a purpose which is not killing: Poke a hole in something far away, and b) are rarely used to poke holes in people, and c) almost never are they used by civilians to poke holes in people.

So William Gibson is now spokesperson for why guns are manufactured?

So having devices which allow us to put holes in things at distances for recreational value is worth 12,000 lives per year? Do paintings kill 12,000 people per year? Does playing a violin put people in danger? Do R/C cars cause 12,000 people to lose their lives per year?

Your argument is desperate. Stupid. Comical. Pathetic. Without value.
In 2010, Automobile accidents claimed 32,885 lives. Is being able to travel at 70 miles per hour worth 32,000 lives per year?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
December 17, 2012, 02:59:25 PM
Guns are for killing. Nothing else. Unlike cars, trains, planes, knives, axes and lawnmowers.

No. Guns are for projecting lead, usually copper-jacketed lead, at a point in the distance.

Killing another human being is, statistically, the least significant use guns are put to.

There are many guns (possibly even most) which have never killed a human being. Almost all of the guns which have are property (or were at the time) of a government. There are, additionally, guns which, despite the relatively high number of times they have been used, have never killed anything, except possibly watermelons.

So?

In what way?

You said that guns are for killing, and have no other purpose. I showed that guns, first off, do not have that purpose at all, unless given to them by the user (not the manufacturer). To quote William Gibson (from off his twitter feed, just now, @GreatDismal), A gun is like a very long, very fast temporary finger, but of very limited utility: instantly pokes a hole in a distant object.

That's all it does. Secondly, I showed that that distant object is almost never a person. Usually it's a piece of paper, or a fruit, or a milk jug full of water. Once in a while it's an animal.

So guns a) have a purpose which is not killing: Poke a hole in something far away, and b) are rarely used to poke holes in people, and c) almost never are they used by civilians to poke holes in people.

So William Gibson is now spokesperson for why guns are manufactured?

So having devices which allow us to put holes in things at distances for recreational value is worth 12,000 lives per year? Do paintings kill 12,000 people per year? Does playing a violin put people in danger? Do R/C cars cause 12,000 people to lose their lives per year?

Your argument is desperate. Stupid. Comical. Pathetic. Without value.
December 17, 2012, 02:47:17 PM

So?

In what way?

December 17, 2012, 02:34:27 PM

There are many guns (possibly even most) which have never killed another human being. Almost all of the guns which have are property (or were at the time) of a government. There are, additionally, guns which, despite the relatively high number of times they have been used, have never killed anything, except possibly watermelons.

So?

In what way?
December 17, 2012, 02:34:02 PM

So?

December 17, 2012, 02:32:59 PM

There are many guns (possibly even most) which have never killed another human being. Almost all of the guns which have are property (or were at the time) of a government. There are, additionally, guns which, despite the relatively high number of times they have been used, have never killed anything, except possibly watermelons.

So?
December 17, 2012, 02:29:15 PM

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
December 17, 2012, 02:18:11 PM

So what? What's wrong in killing someone in self-defense or hunting for animals to gather food?
December 17, 2012, 02:15:57 PM
I can't believe in this day and age we allow people to have knives.

Knives have other practical uses besides killing...
Oh, like a say... a gun.  Grin

So the law should be that you may own things that have practical uses?

I would, in general, prefer a limit on devices whose sole purpose is killing. Art, flowers and pastries don't necessarily have practical uses, but I don't see any serious problems with them.

Just playing devils advocate here.

Then play it well, if you're going to do it at all.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
December 17, 2012, 02:13:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z135WhHnlM8

there were guards at the school

Thankfully, he could not get a gun. If ever there was an argument for gun control, this is it. In a timely manner, this event juxtaposes with the Connecticut shooting. Nobody was killed in this knife attack.

Seriously? you think Knives can not kill people? These are two completely different incidents, done by completely different people. If you had put a gun in the knife man's hand, I doubt he'll even injury as many, because he apparently did not learn how to kill effectively nor does he make any effort to make a kill. It's actually quite difficult in my opinion to stab 22 kids and not kill any one of them. I think he might not have even made any stab motion.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
December 17, 2012, 01:50:36 PM

Oh, like a say... a gun.  Grin

So the law should be that you may own things that have practical uses? This will finally put to an end the wearing of low rider jeans.

Just playing devils advocate here.
Activity: 250
Merit: 250
December 17, 2012, 01:41:43 PM

vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
December 17, 2012, 01:29:54 PM

We should only allow those:
December 17, 2012, 01:18:12 PM

They are a tool with utilitarian value. Just like cars. I can't believe you think your argument is any type of argument at all.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
December 17, 2012, 01:08:13 PM
December 17, 2012, 11:59:22 AM

Thankfully, he could not get a gun. If ever there was an argument for gun control, this is it. In a timely manner, this event juxtaposes with the Connecticut shooting. Nobody was killed in this knife attack.
Activity: 926
Merit: 1001
weaving spiders come not here
December 17, 2012, 05:28:43 AM

Pages:
Jump to: