Pages:
Author

Topic: 3 GPU fans died on me this month. Someone please help me. :( (Read 4133 times)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
DO NOT USE WD40 I read that part just now... WD40 is not a lubricant.. It's a solvent....
You have to use mineral oil. Quality Bike chain oil works great.
I drill a small hole in the center of the front of the fan...  here is a picture of a 6870 I did a while ago...

You don't have to drill hole.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1246383

I do to my cards the same thing but on referent cooling, you need to be very careful and all will  be perfect. It takes little more time to you but you dont drill holes on hardware.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
I posted a picture in another thread.. I learned that the hard way.. ^ The poster above is correct Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
I agree ^.. Drilling a small hole is a very easy fix.... Really easy to add more oil as needed.
How you drill?
The fan has a spindle in center. So if you drill center, then it will drill spindle also & how you put oil in it?
or have to drill near center instead of exact center?

Drill offcenter 2-3 mm VERY CAREFULLY AND LIGHTLY.
legendary
Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016
I agree ^.. Drilling a small hole is a very easy fix.... Really easy to add more oil as needed.
How you drill?
The fan has a spindle in center. So if you drill center, then it will drill spindle also & how you put oil in it?
or have to drill near center instead of exact center?
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004
DO NOT USE WD40 I read that part just now... WD40 is not a lubricant.. It's a solvent....
I drill a small hole in the center of the front of the fan...  here is a picture of a 6870 I did a while ago...

And I've broke 3 fans doing exactly just that. No thanks.
legendary

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001
I use this:

works great!

legendary
Reference design 5850/5870 you can drill a small hole and add a bit of mineral oil (quality bike chain oil works). Close hole with piece of tape.

It is not permanent solution. Referent fan on 5850/5870 can be repaired with grease for ball bearings, it hase to be thick to do job. When you take off plastic mask from the card you can take off the vent, and to take apart it you need two screwdrivers and use it like a lever and the head of vent will pop-out. Now you need to clean the black rounded surface it is a magnet, and spread the grease all over that black circle in thin layer, put the vent back on, and it need to click. Put all back toghether, and remember this operation will void waranty so if you have the paper put card back at the supplier's service.
If cards is used only for mining, it is a good idea to remove the plastic mask and a vent, and replace them with one 12cm silent vent. It will cool good but its look ugly.

I don't go this far. I drill a small hole in the center of the fan, drip oil in a few times. Seems to help when I have a nasty sounding fan.

Front side or back side?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1242453
Reference design 5850/5870 you can drill a small hole and add a bit of mineral oil (quality bike chain oil works). Close hole with piece of tape.

It is not permanent solution. Referent fan on 5850/5870 can be repaired with grease for ball bearings, it hase to be thick to do job. When you take off plastic mask from the card you can take off the vent, and to take apart it you need two screwdrivers and use it like a lever and the head of vent will pop-out. Now you need to clean the black rounded surface it is a magnet, and spread the grease all over that black circle in thin layer, put the vent back on, and it need to click. Put all back toghether, and remember this operation will void waranty so if you have the paper put card back at the supplier's service.
If cards is used only for mining, it is a good idea to remove the plastic mask and a vent, and replace them with one 12cm silent vent. It will cool good but its look ugly.

I don't go this far. I drill a small hole in the center of the fan, drip oil in a few times. Seems to help when I have a nasty sounding fan.
Activity: 117
Merit: 10
Mining since difficulty 157,426 !

I posted in your other thread so I guess I will post again here that I have the exact XFX fan Assy. you are looking for.

I have just one of these    http://img.techpowerup.org/100430/HPIM0570.jpg

Let me know if you want it.

I am located in CT, USA
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
This is why I only buy MSI, Sapphire, and ASUS graphics cards for customer builds or mining Tongue MSI doesn't even make you prove you were the original owner for warranty claims.

btw you can find "universal" coolers on newegg for your cards.  They sometimes work and sometimes don't but you can usually tell by the pictures of the mountings will line up.  If I had to pick one that's most likely to work, this one ONLY fits ATI Radeon HD5830, HD5850 and HD5870 and that's it so I'd definitely go with it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118061

Otherwise Artic Cooling makes ones that allegedly fit just about any card.  I've used 1 of their products before it was alright quality for a not so great price but it did work and kept it crazy cool.
Activity: 297
reoiling can help a little bit but I found that once my reference fan started making the grinding sound, eventually it wouldn't spin properly despite how much grease I tried to reapply and had to replace it.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0

Depending on which fans they are... Reference design 5850/5870 you can drill a small hole and add a bit of mineral oil (quality bike chain oil works). Close hole with piece of tape.

This has helped a lot with fan's that started to sound rough.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
pop off the covers and just throw ultra kaze's in from of them, I've done this and it works fine.  they're $20 shipped on newegg and they cool better than the stock fans
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
Doesn't XFX have a "double lifetime" warranty for AMD 5xxx and 6xxx series cards? Even if you bought them used if you still have the registration code you could try to register for warranty as the second owner.

I've never had a problem getting XFX to send me a replacement fans (actually they send the entire heatsink/fan assembly).

It was already registered under someone else and I can't get the transfer code. XFX told me to go kill myself and that they can't help me.
Activity: 452
You should try re-oiling the fan bearing.

If you peel off the sticker on the other side of the fan (Where the motor is) and you don't have access to the bearing, you'll need to carefully pry up on the hub on all sides. The fan blades will pop up, then you can wipe down the shaft and add a drop or two of a lightweight electric motor oil and snap it back on.

My Sapphire hd5850 cards had terrible fans, 2 of the 3 cards I had experienced fan failure in less than 3 weeks of continuous mining. I popped up the fan blades and re-oiled them, and they have continued to mine for over a year with no issues since being oiled.

My reference design hd5870s lasted a good bit longer but eventually started making vibrating/buzzing/grinding noises and those too were completely fixed with some fresh oil.
donator
Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003
Doesn't XFX have a "double lifetime" warranty for AMD 5xxx and 6xxx series cards? Even if you bought them used if you still have the registration code you could try to register for warranty as the second owner.

I've never had a problem getting XFX to send me a replacement fans (actually they send the entire heatsink/fan assembly).
Pages:
Jump to: