Pages:
Author

Topic: 3 years ago...let's reminisce - page 3. (Read 12129 times)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10
June 09, 2014, 04:10:20 PM
Three years ago I was buying silver and gold like an idiot.

Oh well, lesson learned. Don't buy into all the hype.

Yup, I was in the exact same boat. If only I had reversed the percentages of my portfolio for metals and bitcoin.
Activity: 138
Merit: 36
June 09, 2014, 01:49:29 PM
I started mining CPU somewhere in 2010 and then GPU mining with a 5870 and 5770 end-of-2010.
During 3 months I mined 24/7 with the cards. In the beginning I was winning a block (50 BTC at the time) every 30 hours.
After the 3 months, stopped because it would take about 1 week to win a block and didn't feel like entering a pool (hehe).
Forgot about the whole thing up to the point where BTC > 20 USD. Saw the crash happening and really forgot after that.
When the price recovered I had already reinstalled my pc twice (reformat vista and then win 7). Wallet was gone but fortunately could get it back from my 2 rolling backups.
Finally got an account on Gox, sold some in the rise to 1000, cashed out (and received) quite a bit, bought some gold coins, a trip to Florida, and lost 25k€ in the Gox affair.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
June 09, 2014, 12:25:12 PM
3 years ago, give or take a couple days, I was sitting at a Father's Day BBQ, having just hurt my back a few hours before, watching in shock as the price of BTC plummeted while everyone around me was enjoying the day, blissfully oblivious. Over the next few days I went from disappointment to joy when I realised I was able to buy BTC at $2 again. Ah, the good old days :-)
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1094
June 09, 2014, 05:40:44 AM
Almost 3 years ago bitcoin price recovered from 6$ to 12$, and probably many thought the bear market was over.  Wink
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
June 09, 2014, 02:56:02 AM
I pulled $10,000 out of my retirement account and put it into Bitcoin when MtGox re-opened at $17.

Then I spent the summer watching as the price went down...down...down

Lost most of it getting short squeezed at $3.50

Sold the rest at a loss at $12 just before the jump over $100.

I enjoyed something similar, but the loss wasn't so high.
Entered when the value was around 160$ and the April 2013 bubble was just exploded, sold at 80$ with a nice -50% in few hours.
donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
June 09, 2014, 02:18:38 AM

Ouch man. I remember when Bitcoinica hit the market I was hearing tons of people having made a boatload on various short sales, but it seemed just too much like a bucket shop to me. Turned out I was wrong on what it was, but still right to not get too invested in it.

I think my worst trade was a huge sell I did somewhere in the hundreds of BTC on Bitfloor @ $9-10 after it fell from $15 (as pirate defaulted) in August 2012. Then the price slowly rose to $12 over several months from there before the crazy shenanigans in 2013. I've since learned that if an only-Bitcoin-based business fails, it's best to hold through the bad news and sell when it inevitably spikes. Both the pirate default and Silk Road going down were like the best things to have ever happened to Bitcoin for hoarders...

I just held during the whole 2011 bubble cycle. I agreed with the then already widespread opinion on this forum that if Bitcoin catches on (a huge if at the time) there would be several bubbles on the way up. At the same time I knew I had no particular talent for picking tops and bottoms.

I *mostly* held, too, though I kind of doubled-down as it fell to ridiculous lows. $30 to $2 was quite ridiculous.

I've found I'm really good at picking bottoms, but not so great at picking tops. That's why I put in really low buys and sell slowly when the price is increasing. After my horrible Bitfloor trade, though, I've learned I need to sell very very slowly as the price is increasing, instead of thinking "Well, this is as high as it could possibly go!" and then finding out only months (sometimes days) later that I was very very mistaken.
DrG
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035
June 09, 2014, 02:03:31 AM
Proudhon, you forgot to mention the "Winter is Coming" of 2011/2012 when I watch the few BTC I had at the time drop from $15 to $2 and eevrybody including me was considering jumping ship.   I held onto my coins but but dumped at $5 for the quip profit - and got trampled by a bunch of bulls...  Cheesy
db
Activity: 279
Merit: 261
June 09, 2014, 02:00:07 AM
I just held during the whole 2011 bubble cycle. I agreed with the then already widespread opinion on this forum that if Bitcoin catches on (a huge if at the time) there would be several bubbles on the way up. At the same time I knew I had no particular talent for picking tops and bottoms.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
June 09, 2014, 01:09:13 AM
I pulled $10,000 out of my retirement account and put it into Bitcoin when MtGox re-opened at $17.

Then I spent the summer watching as the price went down...down...down

Sold the rest at a loss at $12 just before the jump over $100.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
June 08, 2014, 07:09:33 PM
Finally I understand why proudhon is always bearish about bitcoin. That kind of experience is difficult to wipe off from memory
Activity: 155
Merit: 100
June 08, 2014, 07:04:08 PM
I first heard about btc in september or october of 2011. It was when news papers were writing about tor-network and the online drugstores there so I downloaded the browser and went to look what it's like. Saw some people talking about btc there and looked it up a bit. I was also trying to buy some back then but found it too difficult to get money in to an exchange and forgot about it. Saw some news headlines last years spring but didn't pay too much attention. Then at the fall of 2013 I saw a headline of that norwegian guy who bought an apartment from Oslo with money made by buying some 25$ worth of btc back in the day. Got angry that I didn't buy btc when I first heard about them and thought that better late than never and started buying in. I started buying in when price was around 200$ piece and bought all the way up. Now that price is around 650$ I'm little bit on the side of making profit but sure was quite miserable when it was somewhere in the low 400's this spring and I didn't have any money to buy me some more and just had to be sad and hope some day my losses are not going to be so bad. I truly hope that next few years are going to be amazing and I can come back and laugh at these posts Cheesy Hope everything went nice and smooth for you, future me!
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
June 08, 2014, 05:43:07 PM
It's inspiring to read all this old folks!
I hope in three years we're all here and kicking! And that bitcoin surprises you as much as it has the three previous years Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1638
June 08, 2014, 05:37:53 PM
We lived in a pretty small
 house at the time

I had to put a in that quote.  Coming from an early adopter, there's a lot to read between the lines.

legendary
Activity: 1638
June 08, 2014, 05:16:46 PM
3 yrs ago, you were trolling Bitcoin hard, just like you do now. Wink

But he never shilled for a scamming mining rig vendor.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
June 08, 2014, 03:21:27 PM
Three years and 2 months ago my $99 HD 5830 GPUs were mining 3 BTC a day each. I was so cheap that I only bought 8 cards.

About 3 years ago I had been mining for a couple of months with a single 6990.  I OC'd the crap out of that thing to get it up around 900 MH/s.  We lived in a pretty small house at the time and just that one miner raised the temperature of our house by at least 10 degrees.  By July/August, with temps outside in the upper 90s to the low hundreds and with no central air, it was pretty miserable.  My wife definitely deserves a lot of credit for putting up with that through the summer.

About a little over 3 years ago I was running TWO 6990s and NINE 6950s.

And yes it got hot in my home. My wife put up with it as well. Glad for that!
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
June 08, 2014, 02:55:40 PM
Initially I thought that Bitcoin is pretty cool, you can check my posting history if you'd like. I even mined some.
Then I got to know how pathologically anti-social this community is, and sociopaths like Bruce Wagner get a free roam until they do their thing. I only started to really realize how stupid this community really is after pirateat40s ponzi scheme. (I posted "Smells like a typical HYIP scam." right after his OP, which I'm sure every idiot who gave him money had to see.)
Other realisations came to view, the amount of coins owned by satoshi, a design flaw concerning a missing incentive to relay transactions after the next few block reward reductions and the difficulty adjustment controller. Only a fraction on people using Bitcoin know these things and you don't find out unless you look.

I could go on but I have better things to do. (like laughing at the next clusterfuck)
To present day I still think Bitcoin is stupid, I'm not saying that won't change but I can't see any reason on the horizon as yet.

but why do you think it is so interesting? there are lots of things that i think are stupid, but i wouldn't waste time on those.

honestly Mucus, you are angry at bitcoin instead of yourself. like how could such a stupid thing make stupid people so much money while I, the only smart guy who understands how stupid this whole idea is, do not get to profit from my understanding. right?

I'm not angry, to the contrary now I'm quite amused. I mean GOX's missing gazillions and the willy bots activity basically matching that amount with a real, impossible to be fixed exploit as a scapegoat. Priceless! Grin
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
June 08, 2014, 02:48:26 PM
Heard about it in 2011 bubble. Registered here back then.Unfortunately I had utter crappy PC back then and couldn't mine and was pretty broke to buy anything significant. I'd probably buy 5-10 back then though but it was pretty hard to move money into it, I registered at Gox but since I couldn't send money with Paypal, I haven't bought anything. Few months later something reminded me about btc so I went to Gox and saw price at 3-4$. I thought this is dead and moved on.

Bought my first coins on March 27th, 2013. 7-8 of them for less than 1000$. Had an amazing run since then, some wonderful alts and fees trades that netted me hundreds of btc profit and I just need one step, one bubble or one great alt trade (or preferably both, lol) to really make it and never to have financial problems in my life again. Hopefully, that step will come and I won't make some mistake to cancel all good things I've done in last 14 months, but anyway it's by mile the best business thing that happened in my life.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
One Token to Move Anything Anywhere
June 08, 2014, 10:32:58 AM
3 years ago.... damn. i found out about bitcoin in 2010, thought it was a cool idea and forgot about. then saw charts from 2011 and figured it was dead. didn't get around to taking it seriously until 2013....

Exactly the same... apart from the fact that after beginning to take it seriously (putting a very small amount of money in) for a few days in April 2013 I went on holiday and forgot about it until it was too late at Christmas!  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
June 08, 2014, 10:22:49 AM
So, almost exactly 3 years ago a lot of us were euphorically watching as bitcoin blew through the $20 range and into the $30s.  Not long after reaching nearly $33, there was a series of relatively large sell-offs into pretty thin bids, and that ultimately bottomed out around $10.

The price "recovered" to around $17 and then we were all epically goxxed with an insane hackcrash from $17 to, basically, $0.  It was gut-wrenching.  I was on my way to the gym when it happened and casually opened the price app on my phone to see the price was under $10.  I was a little disturbed, but it's bitcoin.  At another stop light I checked again and the price was under $5.  That's when I called my wife and frantically attempted to explain to her how to log on to MtGox and put in a sell order...by the time she logged in the price was $0.25 and I said, "well, shit, it's pretty much all gone..."

Share your story.

Proudhon - Bitcoin is a bubble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7TuFy0fcuw
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
June 08, 2014, 09:52:44 AM
Initially I thought that Bitcoin is pretty cool, you can check my posting history if you'd like. I even mined some.
Then I got to know how pathologically anti-social this community is, and sociopaths like Bruce Wagner get a free roam until they do their thing. I only started to really realize how stupid this community really is after pirateat40s ponzi scheme. (I posted "Smells like a typical HYIP scam." right after his OP, which I'm sure every idiot who gave him money had to see.)
Other realisations came to view, the amount of coins owned by satoshi, a design flaw concerning a missing incentive to relay transactions after the next few block reward reductions and the difficulty adjustment controller. Only a fraction on people using Bitcoin know these things and you don't find out unless you look.

I could go on but I have better things to do. (like laughing at the next clusterfuck)
To present day I still think Bitcoin is stupid, I'm not saying that won't change but I can't see any reason on the horizon as yet.

but why do you think it is so interesting? there are lots of things that i think are stupid, but i wouldn't waste time on those.

honestly Mucus, you are angry at bitcoin instead of yourself. like how could such a stupid thing make stupid people so much money while I, the only smart guy who understands how stupid this whole idea is, do not get to profit from my understanding. right?
Pages:
Jump to: