Pages:
Author

Topic: 3 years ago...let's reminisce - page 4. (Read 12129 times)

legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311
June 08, 2014, 09:21:28 AM
Three years and 2 months ago my $99 HD 5830 GPUs were mining 3 BTC a day each. I was so cheap that I only bought 8 cards.

About 3 years ago I had been mining for a couple of months with a single 6990.  I OC'd the crap out of that thing to get it up around 900 MH/s.  We lived in a pretty small house at the time and just that one miner raised the temperature of our house by at least 10 degrees.  By July/August, with temps outside in the upper 90s to the low hundreds and with no central air, it was pretty miserable.  My wife definitely deserves a lot of credit for putting up with that through the summer.
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
June 08, 2014, 09:12:03 AM
Three years and 2 months ago my $99 HD 5830 GPUs were mining 3 BTC a day each. I was so cheap that I only bought 8 cards.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
June 08, 2014, 05:22:00 AM
Initially I thought that Bitcoin is pretty cool, you can check my posting history if you'd like. I even mined some.
Then I got to know how pathologically anti-social this community is, and sociopaths like Bruce Wagner get a free roam until they do their thing. I only started to really realize how stupid this community really is after pirateat40s ponzi scheme. (I posted "Smells like a typical HYIP scam." right after his OP, which I'm sure every idiot who gave him money had to see.)
Other realisations came to view, the amount of coins owned by satoshi, a design flaw concerning a missing incentive to relay transactions after the next few block reward reductions and the difficulty adjustment controller. Only a fraction on people using Bitcoin know these things and you don't find out unless you look.

I could go on but I have better things to do. (like laughing at the next clusterfuck)
To present day I still think Bitcoin is stupid, I'm not saying that won't change but I can't see any reason on the horizon as yet.

but why do you think it is so interesting? there are lots of things that i think are stupid, but i wouldn't waste time on those.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
June 08, 2014, 05:11:51 AM
Initially I thought that Bitcoin is pretty cool, you can check my posting history if you'd like. I even mined some.
Then I got to know how pathologically anti-social this community is, and sociopaths like Bruce Wagner get a free roam until they do their thing. I only started to really realize how stupid this community really is after pirateat40s ponzi scheme. (I posted "Smells like a typical HYIP scam." right after his OP, which I'm sure every idiot who gave him money had to see.)
Other realisations came to view, the amount of coins owned by satoshi, a design flaw concerning a missing incentive to relay transactions after the next few block reward reductions and the difficulty adjustment controller. Only a fraction on people using Bitcoin know these things and you don't find out unless you look.

I could go on but I have better things to do. (like laughing at the next clusterfuck)
To present day I still think Bitcoin is stupid, I'm not saying that won't change but I can't see any reason on the horizon as yet.

So you see some bad apples and you conclude the entire bunch of them are rotten? And the entire reason you're still here is to wait until something bad happens so you can point and laugh at the community? How ironic that you call us anti-social.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
June 08, 2014, 05:02:47 AM
Other realisations came to view, the amount of coins owned by satoshi, a design flaw concerning a missing incentive to relay transactions after the next few block reward reductions and the difficulty adjustment controller.

The coins owned by Satoshi aren't very relevant to the long-term health of Bitcoin.  The Fed's infinite supply is an infinitely worse problem with the U.S. Dollar.

Once mining is complete, very far down the road, transactions will include transaction fees.  Fees sufficient to ensure transactions are added to the blockchain will naturally be selected by clients.  At that point the transaction fees will become a floating market to be negotiated between clients and miners.  Not a real problem.
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163
Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos
June 08, 2014, 04:54:01 AM
If only I had realized that Bitcoin was the solution to the problem that was keeping me from buying Bitcoin, I would have DEFINITELY bought Bitcoin. Oh, cruel fate.

This is just wonderful  Cheesy

My story doesn't go as far back as 2011 and isn't very interesting either:

I found out about Bitcoin in late 2012 and as someone being interested in economics I started doing research. I decided that this is really amazing technology and I need to buy some. The price was 13$/BTC. I was just about to leave for a month long trip so I postponed my buying until my return. I came back to a price of 26$. Quickly bought in with an amount of money I was willing to lose totally (about 5% of my liquid net worth). Been hodling ever since. The end.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
June 08, 2014, 03:55:57 AM

Activity: 187
Merit: 109
Converting information into power since 1867
June 07, 2014, 05:47:43 PM
Like many potential early adopters who never bothered to become actual early adopters, my story is filled with regret...

I heard about Bitcoin just after the 2011 bubble. At first I thought it was interesting, but I didn't really grasp the immense significance of it. I figured, hey, if I can print some money at home, why not? So I started GPU mining on-and-off on my PC, mostly when I wasn't using it. In a couple weeks of occasional mining, I made 0.5 BTC; this was August 2011 and the price was plummeting, so I quickly decided it wasn't worth the electricity and the trouble of turning it off when I wanted to watch a movie on my computer. So I stopped mining. Idiot.

Then I thought, never mind the chump change, this Bitcoin thing is kinda cool and there's a chance it will be worth a lot of money in the future. Why not buy a thousand dollars or so worth of BTC and keep it as a long-term speculative investment? I had a good feeling about Bitcoin and I wasn't turned off by the fact that it peaked at $30 and then crashed. I was this close to buying a couple hundred BTC at about $5. But then I discovered that the only real way of doing that is wiring money to Japan, and at the time that required that I physically go to the bank. I was waaaay too lazy for that. So I figured, meh, I'll do it some other time. And then I forgot about the whole thing until late 2012. Idiot.

Fast forward to December 2012. Price rising. I'm getting really excited. One cautious voice in my head says "$12 for a piece of virtual geek money is really expensive!". But it's drowned out by the other voice that says "This is going to be HUGE! Buy now!". But then that voice is drowned out by an even more powerful voice, that says "Still no good exchange in my area, have to wire money to Japan. Too lazy. Will definitely do it next week". And so I only really start buying on March 2013, at over $100. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I finally did, but I could have done it so much earlier... Idiot.

Now, do you see the terrible, vicious irony of it all? All this time I was too lazy to go to the bank and wire money to Japan, it never really occurred to me that this is exactly the sort of banking difficulty Bitcoin could easily solve. If only I had realized that Bitcoin was the solution to the problem that was keeping me from buying Bitcoin, I would have DEFINITELY bought Bitcoin. Oh, cruel fate.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
June 07, 2014, 04:41:07 PM
3 years ago.... damn. i found out about bitcoin in 2010, thought it was a cool idea and forgot about. then saw charts from 2011 and figured it was dead. didn't get around to taking it seriously until 2013....
Activity: 840
June 07, 2014, 04:30:10 PM
I can tell that you are a man of discerning tastes so for you, for a one time special offer of 150 BTC, I present to you, my dear old maw....

It worries me that reverse image search returns zero hits.

Ok ok ok....

U drive a hard bargain sir!

100 BTC and that is my final offer!
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
June 07, 2014, 04:25:31 PM
I can tell that you are a man of discerning tastes so for you, for a one time special offer of 150 BTC, I present to you, my dear old maw....

It worries me that reverse image search returns zero hits.
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
One Token to Move Anything Anywhere
June 07, 2014, 01:15:55 PM

Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106
June 07, 2014, 01:15:28 PM
great example of a "win/win" situation...
June 07, 2014, 10:39:24 AM
What's your mother look like? I mean, 177 coins is a lot of money, but if she's in prime shape...

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
June 07, 2014, 10:09:07 AM
Sucks that you used bitcoin since 2010 (guessing, not sure) [and did not find a stash you forgot about or something on your harddrive] and rebought in 2013.

Nope...no stash on old USB stick or nothing. Even have the same wallet on my hardrive, showing old 2011-12 transactions for numbers like 177 BTC. Just around 500 quid worth or something back when that particular transaction was made.

I would put my mother on the game to get those 177 BTC back alone!

What's your mother look like? I mean, 177 coins is a lot of money, but if she's in prime shape...
Activity: 249
Merit: 250
June 07, 2014, 10:00:35 AM
The "Aha Moment" for me after watching for 2 years after my libertarian techie friends introduced me to bitcoin was when it "survived" the "Goxxing"....Proof is in the pudding.  Cool
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
June 07, 2014, 09:45:38 AM
3 years ago I think I passed through this forum but never joined, found out about btc from /g/ ....I was stuck in...well lets just say I was really far away.....when I heard about BTC back then I spent 2~3 days solid trying to buy it, but where I was there was no way to get money through.....next I looked I saw it had crashed back to $2, was so glad I did  not buy any......yeah yeah I know....right.

I clearly remember the old gox site.......

Activity: 196
Merit: 101
June 07, 2014, 08:44:35 AM
Three years ago I was reading a forum where someone wrote about a digital currency which could be mined at home.
Didn't care about that, it was without any sense for me.
The guy now is one of the biggest owner of btc and I am one of the smallest.
June 07, 2014, 08:32:32 AM
In fact, if I've got it right Mat you've got about 60 BTC or so. So put 50 aside and play with 10. Then you still have the best chance of becoming a millionaire in dollar terms (BTC to $20k is perfectly feasible I think).

I have 13.5 BTC.

I lined up a 60 BTC buy-in on the Feb crash to $400. I was really going all in with that as I had a dream that Bitcoin hit $380 and as you know, I believe in my dreams. I had one 60 BTC buy in tranche on Bitstamp at $391.37, or something like that. I missed out on the entire lot by less than $9. Phucking idiot!

Since then, I have taken a lot of fiat off the exchange, spent a lot of it, and lost a hefty sum when I resolved to hold out on a bad short trade until I broke even (my nerve broke well before the break even point finally came) and without having worked to earn more, and now Bitstamp won't let me get any fiat back into my account without subjecting me to an anal probe before hand. So I have what I have on the exchange and/or in Bitcoin and that will be it.

I have my Bitcoins in offline wallet for now. I am confident that we will be mostly heading north from here. As soon as I lose my confidence and start getting Bitcoin Fear proper, I shall post the fact on this forum.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
June 07, 2014, 05:42:38 AM
Long time lurker of the bitcoin forum here Smiley

I bought my first coins during the 2011 bear market, and its been a crazy ride since then. I remember opening my first account at mybitcoin, watching Bruce "Pedo" Wagner's bitcoin show, waiting for dwolla transfers to go through to mtgox, and panicking that the price dropped $2/coin! It was an exciting time back then and in a way I kind of miss it. I had no idea were it was going to go, but it seemed like the future.
Pages:
Jump to: