Pages:
Author

Topic: 4 x Antminer S1 on 2 Corsair PSU with uprated fans. (Read 3589 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 250
To be honest, my fan at my desk cool down my face better, when blow air in my face, not when suck the air out my face.  Grin
Activity: 252
I have no idea what you talking about? Original fan not pull air out, the original fan blow air in.

It is more efficient to pull air out of a tube or tunnel than pushing air in. If you put the ant in a tunnel then you turn the original fan around to pull air out.

Maybe, i would not bet on that.

But with 2 Fan (1 additional on the other end) its sure more effective to blow air on 1 side in, and pull on the other side out.

I would bet, lots, it is physics 101, what is easier, to push air into a small box or push air into a bigger box? Push or pull depends on where your mind is in relation to the force and if you are in a room with no air con pushing air in, then that bigger box of a room is a big as the world's atmosphere.

If I get time this weekend I will do some tests on my thoughts about upside down miners with push-push fans and report the results.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
I have one fan setup as they come out of the factory, But then I have another fan at the other end pulling air out.
It seems to work quite well at the moment between the 4 i'm getting around 800gh and they are running cooly.

I've added an extraction fan to the room which is then pumping the air into the coolest part of the warehouse, its a bit noisy but people are appreciating the extra heat.  The 4 ants are using about the same wattage as one of our electric heaters, so I'm basically getting paid for some of our heating bill.

Excellent today another difficulty increase :-)
Activity: 472
Electricites

Rule #1.
Do NOT overload circuits.

Here in civilisation, we have real electricity.  240V with 30A per circuit, with most houses having a minimum of two circuits.  The houses here have 100A supplies, which is 24kW.  Good luck overloading with miners.

Yes but look what it's done to your teeth!

I dunno I am confused how my 200A 240V service to my house is a "problem" and I'm in the US. 

Seems pretty standard where I am...
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
Electricites

Rule #1.

Here in civilisation, we have real electricity.  240V with 30A per circuit, with most houses having a minimum of two circuits.  The houses here have 100A supplies, which is 24kW.  Good luck overloading with miners.

Yes but look what it's done to your teeth!
I have no idea what you talking about? Original fan not pull air out, the original fan blow air in.

It is more efficient to pull air out of a tube or tunnel than pushing air in. If you put the ant in a tunnel then you turn the original fan around to pull air out.

Maybe, i would not bet on that.

But with 2 Fan (1 additional on the other end) its sure more effective to blow air on 1 side in, and pull on the other side out.

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501
Electricites

Rule #1.

Do you have both fans pulling in the same direction?
Otherwise it would not make any sense.  Cheesy

Main fan push, add fan pull.

It does if you turn the ant upside down.

If it is the right way up then the 2nd fan just pulls a little air in through the aluminium vents, a little over the last chips and a lot from everywhere else. If you turn the ant upside down and push the air in from the second fan then the shape of the aluminium vents pushes the air up and out, cooling the  aluminium vents and the chips far more.

I have been playing with this as an alternative to a tunnel but I still cannot beat the cooling of a tunnel with the original fan pulling air from the tunnel.
Otherwise it would not make any sense.  Cheesy

Main fan push, add fan pull.
Activity: 356
Dock.io
Activity: 479
I'm running this from a ware house so I have fitted a heat extractor for the room.
I am curious though do a lot of people run multiple units from home? As then I would see there be an issue with overloading your house supply?

Yeah, on the plus side if you have enough Ants you can turn off your furnace in the winter months.
I'm running this from a ware house so I have fitted a heat extractor for the room.
I am curious though do a lot of people run multiple units from home? As then I would see there be an issue with overloading your house supply?
Fortunately, its 240v and its a 30amp circuit.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
I've had one of the stock fans fail.
Yes I had read they could cope with more then the 750 so they are within operating limits with the 4 ants.
I'm drawing 1680 Watts at the wall according to my monitor.

As they don't keep the ants cool enough even running at 190-200 gh they are only at about 34 with the new fans, I run two fans in case one cuts out, thus the ants don't cook them selves.
Also i'm not to sure how reliable they are, I've chosen a fan that I know is regularly used on servers and has a good reliability track record.

you have done a nice job on temp control!

But you are overloading your psu. and 1680 watts is not acceptable on a 15 amp 120 volt circuit for 24/7/365 work.

15 amp x 120 volt =1800 watts x 80 percent = 1440 watts

1680 on a 15 amp circuit = bad bad bad

and running your psu to redline is also bad  bad bad  bad.

I smell melting rubber bro!  but I really like the cooling ideas the rack is also nice

If you go back and read he says he is only powering two Ants off of each 750 PSU so I'm pretty sure his 1600 number is for 4x Ants and 2x PSUs plus a PSU to power the fans.

yeah i get that, but if they are plugged into the same wall/circuit he is overloading the circuit.

and running 2 ants 24/7/365 on a 750 watt psu is overloading his psu.  but He has a nice rack to keep them cool along with a good fan setup.
Activity: 479
Yes I had read they could cope with more then the 750 so they are within operating limits with the 4 ants.

As they don't keep the ants cool enough even running at 190-200 gh they are only at about 34 with the new fans, I run two fans in case one cuts out, thus the ants don't cook them selves.
Also i'm not to sure how reliable they are, I've chosen a fan that I know is regularly used on servers and has a good reliability track record.

But you are overloading your psu. and 1680 watts is not acceptable on a 15 amp 120 volt circuit for 24/7/365 work.

I smell melting rubber bro!  but I really like the cooling ideas the rack is also nice

If you go back and read he says he is only powering two Ants off of each 750 PSU so I'm pretty sure his 1600 number is for 4x Ants and 2x PSUs plus a PSU to power the fans.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
Funnily enough I was taking some old servers apart yesterday to see what PSU were in them, I haven't managed to figure out the wiring on them yet though as they are hot swappable PSU's

I've taken apart four different servers so far trying to do the same thing.  So far I have a 100% failure rate but I have a PowerEdge 2950 coming out of service soon and I am hoping that will give me one win.
Funnily enough I was taking some old servers apart yesterday to see what PSU were in them, I haven't managed to figure out the wiring on them yet though as they are hot swappable PSU's
Pages:
Jump to: