Pages:
Author

Topic: 490,000 Avalon chips already ordered - 150T/hash spike coming in August (Read 6116 times)

legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
- - -Caveat Aleo- - -
You were right.  Difficulty above 40,000,000 today.
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
Ok. that makes me feel a lot better. I bought some of those asic chips in the group buys and I was calculating with 300 batches bought (10 times difficulty increase with only avalon chips) I would probably never make it back. I can probably break even if the difficulty increases less than 5 times the current amount and all the boards I get aren't broken. (With my luck, I'm sure BFL will suddenly catch up on their shipping estimates and the klondike design will be shown to have a tendency to explode after being used for more than 10 minutes. Oh well)

BTW:
My calculations.
75 orders x .282 Gh/s per chip x 10,000 chips per order= 211.500 Terahashes / s
Current Hash rate = 75 Terahashes / s

That means difficulty will be about 4 times higher so 40 million difficulty just from Avalons.

(NVM, with bfl and avalon batch 2 and 3 shipments I'm still screwed. Oh well. There are my calculations for you anyways)

My estimate:
Whenever avalon ships. Difficulty >= 40,000,000 
legendary
Activity: 1620
news.8btc.com
I don't think businessman will send stuff at the price that they buy in.
And for the record, 75 batches have been sold, which will contribute 225TH in the future if everything goes right.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Sorry to necro this thread, but I though I would ask what folks are thinking.

Currently the amount of BTC at:
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1FGAftzSTztFSB8LMwsrdCKTyqGY6zr3sU

Is around 75 Batches of 10,000 chips (~210TH) - with the first order starting on 4/16/2013 and the most recent 5/26/2013 (date of posting).

I assume TSMC doesn't accept BTC, so as some point this 50K+ BTC will need to be fiat converted, and I would assume that the better part of 1/2 the total will need to be used... lets say 25000.

1) Do you think the 9-10 weeks 'til delivery start with the movement of that BTC?
2) Do you think a dark pool will be utilized for this fiat transaction?

25K+ BTC is close to the full daily volume, and if people don't see it coming, it could provide some jitters.

What sayeth the 'net?
I doubt it's anywhere near 1/2 of the money needed to be paid to TSMC. One order of 10k chips is probably around 3 wafers, so you're probably looking at ~225 wafers. Someone posted US$4k before for the Avalon wafers, though that seems a little high for a processed 110nm wafer. Even then, that's less than $1M, or 7500BTC at current prices.
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
Sorry to necro this thread, but I though I would ask what folks are thinking.

Currently the amount of BTC at:
http://blockexplorer.com/address/1FGAftzSTztFSB8LMwsrdCKTyqGY6zr3sU

Is around 75 Batches of 10,000 chips (~210TH) - with the first order starting on 4/16/2013 and the most recent 5/26/2013 (date of posting).

I assume TSMC doesn't accept BTC, so as some point this 50K+ BTC will need to be fiat converted, and I would assume that the better part of 1/2 the total will need to be used... lets say 25000.

1) Do you think the 9-10 weeks 'til delivery start with the movement of that BTC?
2) Do you think a dark pool will be utilized for this fiat transaction?

25K+ BTC is close to the full daily volume, and if people don't see it coming, it could provide some jitters.

What sayeth the 'net?
Activity: 164
Merit: 100
don't think 100% of the chips are going to be soldered to a working PCB with everything required for them to run ...
I say 60% MAX if we DO have skilled people. But there IS going to be some failure.
Activity: 798
www.DonateMedia.org
The market already seems extremely saturated already, I think future miners are in for a shock. This is becoming serious business with relatively unknown ROI. The only hope is BTCs price increases dramatically, which may be a function of now very expensive equipment. By the time everyone gets theirs the ROI be the same or less than today's rigs....though if BTC is worth $2k a coin someday even mining a little slice would still give a nice return even if you had to drop $1500 on a miner to do it. We will see what happens now
Activity: 490
Merit: 255
I seem to recall them saying (in a newsletter?) they would be selling chips until the end of the year.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
The chips will arrive before batch III it would seem.    If they can make 20 avalons at day and start in 2 weeks from now, that means batch II won't complete until 3rd week of june putting batch III at shipping complete end of july.   When is everyone supposed to get their chips?

in my opinion?: the chips are going to be delayed too, and probably delayed more.

I purchased order #10177. I don't think they started from 0. The earliest posted order I know of is Zefir's @ #9725.

Thats 452 orders of 10k sets of chips.  That's 4,520,000 Avalon chips ordered.
1274.64 Terahash/second.  
Difficulty of god knows
That can't possibly be right.

That is not right. A lot of order numbers are just people clicking "buy" without paying.
https://blockchain.info/address/1FGAftzSTztFSB8LMwsrdCKTyqGY6zr3sU shows 66 batches bought so far. That's all.

i see, that makes more sense.  based on the BTC going to that address, we will see, assuming NO MORE orders (unlikely), 186.38 Thash/sec come online (network is currently ~75 THash/sec)

I suppose Avalon has never said anything about how long they will keep taking orders and shit have they?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011
Be A Digital Miner
The chips will arrive before batch III it would seem.    If they can make 20 avalons at day and start in 2 weeks from now, that means batch II won't complete until 3rd week of june putting batch III at shipping complete end of july.   When is everyone supposed to get their chips?
mrb
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027
I purchased order #10177. I don't think they started from 0. The earliest posted order I know of is Zefir's @ #9725.

1274.64 Terahash/second.  
Difficulty of god knows

That is not right. A lot of order numbers are just people clicking "buy" without paying.
https://blockchain.info/address/1FGAftzSTztFSB8LMwsrdCKTyqGY6zr3sU shows 66 batches bought so far. That's all.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Also related

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1999706

Sorry but I don't exactly follow, what do you mean you bought batch (#10177)?  You bought 10,177 chips?  Order #10,177 on avalon?  There surely haven't been 10,177 orders for 10,000 chips..

1274.64 Terahash/second.  

Difficulty of god knows

When did Avalon start selling their chips?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
At the rate things are moving it will likely be at least 6 months before ASIC has a significant impact on difficulty.  Probably 2014 before GPUs are completely useless.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
Address is up to BTC49,000.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Yeah, August 2014...
Activity: 1162
Merit: 500
So in August we will have many of those:
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Chip resale is unlikely. The only sellers would be scammers, people with bad/harmed chips, small fry who didn't realize it's hard to DIY, or those who bought before bitcoin crashed/surged in difficulty (meaning no incentive to buy).

There might be a few who bought specifically to resell, but that would be at a premium, compared to today's prices, which might or might not be worthwhile. I wouldn't expect reselling to be a big thing.
Activity: 79
Having previously worked in electronics manufacturing I think that saying a spike is coming in August is premature to say the least.  The chips might ship later in the year than expected and once they do ship they can't go into play for at least another month and that's if a custom board can be fabricated in that amount of time.  This doesn't include development time or testing for those boards, though samples may be sent out in advance.  Once the chips have arrived they have to be machine placed on the boards and then they're either packaged for sale or relocated to a permanent facility with appropriate power and cooling.

All of this is neglecting the fact that the chips won't ship all at once or to the same person.  It might take another year for all the chips to get powered up if they're being sold retail.  The ASIC push will eventually cool down.

This makes sense but it seems you're only taking into account Avalon chips. There's still Avalon batch 2, 3, BFL, and there's asicminer yet to come. So there most definitely will be a spike around the month of August.

You are correct, that is a spike.  I was only talking about a spike due to chip sales.  The device manufacturers won't ship all at ones either.  It might be more like a big hill than a spike.  The hash rate is going to go up faster than it has before, but it will probably eventually cool down after this big push.  A year from now things will be quite different.
Avalon has said that reference designs and chip samples would be provided in May. While shipping a few weeks after the chips arrive is very unlikely, by the time bulk chips arrive the really serious customers should have boards designed, built and tested by then. There's still going to be huge teething issues related to mass production, but I would be shocked if the serious players ordering 200k chips would not have vetted systems and are having to start custom PCBs mid-summer.
So some of those chips might actually be available for resale by the end of august.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Having previously worked in electronics manufacturing I think that saying a spike is coming in August is premature to say the least.  The chips might ship later in the year than expected and once they do ship they can't go into play for at least another month and that's if a custom board can be fabricated in that amount of time.  This doesn't include development time or testing for those boards, though samples may be sent out in advance.  Once the chips have arrived they have to be machine placed on the boards and then they're either packaged for sale or relocated to a permanent facility with appropriate power and cooling.

All of this is neglecting the fact that the chips won't ship all at once or to the same person.  It might take another year for all the chips to get powered up if they're being sold retail.  The ASIC push will eventually cool down.

This makes sense but it seems you're only taking into account Avalon chips. There's still Avalon batch 2, 3, BFL, and there's asicminer yet to come. So there most definitely will be a spike around the month of August.

You are correct, that is a spike.  I was only talking about a spike due to chip sales.  The device manufacturers won't ship all at ones either.  It might be more like a big hill than a spike.  The hash rate is going to go up faster than it has before, but it will probably eventually cool down after this big push.  A year from now things will be quite different.
Avalon has said that reference designs and chip samples would be provided in May. While shipping a few weeks after the chips arrive is very unlikely, by the time bulk chips arrive the really serious customers should have boards designed, built and tested by then. There's still going to be huge teething issues related to mass production, but I would be shocked if the serious players ordering 200k chips would not have vetted systems and are having to start custom PCBs mid-summer.
Activity: 79

Pages:
Jump to: