Pages:
Author

Topic: 5 Pcie mobo, add 6 gpu Mining (Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5) (Read 1761 times)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Hi all,

I have the same motherboard but I couldn`t get the 4th GPU up for any reason.The GPU isnt seen on device manager nor on gpuz

When I replace the riser`s place 4x to 16x only 16x works. (4x is yellow small one.2nd from the right on the picture on this thread..assuming i am right on the speeds...

8x         16x       16x             4x                1x
empty   1070     1070      notworking        1060

I have started to think as this MB doesnt support more than 3 but read here some people was able to do it work for 5 GPU.

I only need to add one more GPU...

my psu is corsair hx1000i so enough power for the whole system.

Any comments why it didnt work with 4 GPU.

edit:has just tried to move the gpu to the 8x slot which didnt help..still 3 gpus are seen.

The moved riser was working ..riser works on other slots..

actually again started to think does it only support 3 gpu?

edit:1060 the working 1060 is seen on system manager but not involved on any mining software.
I dont undestand what is going on here.

as final only 2 16x working with 1070s

Activity: 22
Merit: 1
i run 4 Card in the blue slot,
did try with 1 Card without 1 riser and 1 riser in the white slot it runs ...
thats kind of wired

there was the GPU in the device manger, but it was unable to get install driver or to choose a dir for drivers.
today i get and other PSU and then i get try more, cuz now is runing 4 Wink
Activity: 336
Merit: 253
Gone phishing...
GA-X58A-UD3R have kind of the same board, but for some reason i cant plugin in the PCIe the Riser... in windows cant install or found the correct driver
same like here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gigabyte-ga-x58a-ud3r-how-to-enable-5-or-6-gpus-2030841

Were you ever able to get Windows to recognize any GPU in an x1 slot?
For example, if you remove all cards and attempt to install a second one using a riser into an x1 slot, what happens? (If it still fails, try again with a different card and then a different riser.)
Activity: 22
Merit: 1
GA-X58A-UD3R have kind of the same board, but for some reason i cant plugin in the PCIe the Riser... in windows cant install or found the correct driver
same like here https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gigabyte-ga-x58a-ud3r-how-to-enable-5-or-6-gpus-2030841
Activity: 34
I tried the shorting mod but the error is still there ( Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) ), I also reinstalled all the driver. I guess the 1x is really limited in this MB

Did you get it to work in the end?
Activity: 7
So happy to see this topic  Smiley
I have the exact same mobo, and I am planing to put 2 RX580 8GB whitout risers (directly on the PCIe x16 2.0)

Now, my question is: will the hasrate be the same as the GPU is plugged in to a mobo that is having PCIe 3.0.?

Please give me some idea, otherwise I will find ot by myself when I try  Smiley

Hash rate is unaffected by the PCIe connector, video cards only need 1x PCIe to hash at full speed.

Thanks! This is very useful information!
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
I have the exact same mobo, and I am planing to put 2 RX580 8GB whitout risers (directly on the PCIe x16 2.0)

Now, my question is: will the hasrate be the same as the GPU is plugged in to a mobo that is having PCIe 3.0.?

Hash rate is unaffected by the PCIe connector, video cards only need 1x PCIe to hash at full speed.
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
I bought sata risers as i heard molex connectors burn after a while

Sata is actually the "worst" connector for a riser as it has the lowest power handling capacity.

Just as an FYI the people that claim molex connectors burn are the problem. They hook things up incorrectly, burn up their equipment, then blame it on the equipment when in reality they screwed up by not setting things up properly. If you set your rig up properly, you can use any type of powered riser with no problems. Sure, manufacturing defects can cause some one off situations but there is nothing wrong with molex powered risers. I have thousands running with no issues.
Activity: 7

Activity: 3
I tried the shorting mod but the error is still there ( Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) ), I also reinstalled all the driver. I guess the 1x is really limited in this MB
Gone phishing...
windows 10 home / nvidia 385.41
5x gtx 1060 (different brand)

If you remove all of your cards except whatever you're using for video (the one in the primary x16 slot) and ONE additional card in the x1 slot via a riser, what happens?

If the card on the x1 slot still does not work, and you are certain that both the card and the riser are working, then you may want to try shorting the A1 and B17 pins on the motherboard. Most recent motherboards have not needed this trick, but if you look around on the forums, there's a couple of old threads about this. I had an Asrock N68S-UCC board that required it in order for the x1 slot to be used with a riser.
windows 10 home / nvidia 385.41
5x gtx 1060 (different brand)
Gone phishing...
I have 5 gpu with the exact same motherboard. Everything works well with the risers but I'm having issues with the 1x slot. For some reason it does detected the gpu but can't install a proper driver or does install but can't be recognize with the miner.
What OS/driver are you using, and what GPUs do you have?
I have 5 gpu with the exact same motherboard. Everything works well with the risers but I'm having issues with the 1x slot. For some reason it does detected the gpu but can't install a proper driver or does install but can't be recognize with the miner.
Gone phishing...
Anyone?

There's not much you can do to confirm that it will work prior to testing it out. Those splitters are hit-and-miss, and finding someone else with personal experience mining with an old motherboard like yours would be a difficult task.
Anyone?
For instance if it doesn't go down with the current mobo, i will build another fresh rig off a new mobo i suppose, but for now lets go with the flow

So currently i can run 2 cards and the mobo with the 600w psu and once the other cards arrive with the evga psu, i switch this psu to only run the cards

Thank you for the support, i understand its a risk that i am taking, i hope all goes well but i need to know if one of the supply goes down how will it burn the whole thing assuming i have 2 psu's for 2 different roles? one is powering the mobo and 3 psu and one is powering only the risers & cards,

Which EVGA PSU did you end up purchasing?

Generally risers with 4-pin molex or 6-pin PCIe connectors are a safer bet. Usually decent molex connectors handle going over-spec pretty well, but SATA connectors can generally have more problems. (And their max current rating is lower than 4-pin molex connectors in the first place.) You will *probably* be okay if you avoid using too many SATA connectors off the same line from a PSU (1, maybe 2 at most). If you're careful about how you distribute the load, you *should* be okay using SATA power.

If one of your PSUs were to fail, it wouldn't necessarily cause permanent damage. (Although it could damage other components, it probably wouldn't "burn the whole thing".)
However, it could down the rig until you have the time to fix it. Obviously, if the unit powering the motherboard, CPU, or drive goes down, the entire rig will crash.
If the secondary PSU fails, I suppose it's not impossible for the cards powered on the primary PSU to continue running. However, the driver/OS/mining software could throw some kind of exception and cause a crash of the mining software, simply trigger a reboot, or cause another error. (These kinds of cards aren't designed to be hot-swappable, so if their PSU failed while the system was live, it wouldn't be too great.)

I am thinking of EVGA 750w Bronze

However iam still worried about the mobo running the 6 gpu, is there no way i can get to know if it will work? before ordering the cards?

If you are really worried just order a mobo that has been documented to work with 6 gpu like z270, etc.

I could but that will cost alot of money, as i will have to get a mobo & a cpu, anyone has any other idea'?
Activity: 490
Merit: 100
For instance if it doesn't go down with the current mobo, i will build another fresh rig off a new mobo i suppose, but for now lets go with the flow

So currently i can run 2 cards and the mobo with the 600w psu and once the other cards arrive with the evga psu, i switch this psu to only run the cards

Thank you for the support, i understand its a risk that i am taking, i hope all goes well but i need to know if one of the supply goes down how will it burn the whole thing assuming i have 2 psu's for 2 different roles? one is powering the mobo and 3 psu and one is powering only the risers & cards,

Generally risers with 4-pin molex or 6-pin PCIe connectors are a safer bet. Usually decent molex connectors handle going over-spec pretty well, but SATA connectors can generally have more problems. (And their max current rating is lower than 4-pin molex connectors in the first place.) You will *probably* be okay if you avoid using too many SATA connectors off the same line from a PSU (1, maybe 2 at most). If you're careful about how you distribute the load, you *should* be okay using SATA power.

If one of your PSUs were to fail, it wouldn't necessarily cause permanent damage. (Although it could damage other components, it probably wouldn't "burn the whole thing".)
However, it could down the rig until you have the time to fix it. Obviously, if the unit powering the motherboard, CPU, or drive goes down, the entire rig will crash.
If the secondary PSU fails, I suppose it's not impossible for the cards powered on the primary PSU to continue running. However, the driver/OS/mining software could throw some kind of exception and cause a crash of the mining software, simply trigger a reboot, or cause another error. (These kinds of cards aren't designed to be hot-swappable, so if their PSU failed while the system was live, it wouldn't be too great.)

However iam still worried about the mobo running the 6 gpu, is there no way i can get to know if it will work? before ordering the cards?

If you are really worried just order a mobo that has been documented to work with 6 gpu like z270, etc.

Gone phishing...

Pages:
Jump to: