Pages:
Author

Topic: 51% attack on all altcoins since Feathercoin happening. - page 4. (Read 10953 times)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Let's Start a Cryptolution!!
Alto's will always be pump and dump. Period. Only exception might be litecoin, and maybe some other random one that isn't made yet that has a decent distribution algorithm.

Besides that Nope...
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
I openly invite you to try your best with DGC.  Smiley

Is there a real-time block explorer for DGC somewhere?  I want to see this.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
It's easy to double your money on each attack.  Send to an exchange, reverse transaction, withdraw.  Or, send to exchange, trade for bitcoin, reverse the transaction.

Edit:  By the way, that last paragraph in your post is only true for currencies with significant hash rates.

Pulled it from the bitcoin wiki.  But I see your point about the exchanges.  It's a catch 22 then, in order to create innovation you need to start with a new coin  but you have people who will 51% attack the coin to suppress it only to protect their bitcoin and litecoin investments or out of greed to get more bitcoins and litecoins.  So older but flawed networks are protected by their size.

I see a few things coming out of this.

protection networks.  developer can rent the services of miners to maintain a certain hash rate on the network to reduce the chance of a 51% attack.
merge mining.  coins banding together to consolidate hashing power to reduce 51% attack risk.
improved trust.  actively developed coins gaining more support and lift their price per coin.
Activity: 448
This could be helpful, so people actually stop investing in (mostly premined) shitcoins.

Why do you people even invest in shitcoins? For me, it was logical that price will be dropping, and it is dropping.

Its not the case at all. People need to wake up and stop fighting against each other.  It doesn't matter whether coin X succeeds or coin Y, if ANY single coin fails and it gets any mainstream media attention, you've destroyed any chance for any crypto-currency to ever truly make it.

People outside this forum don't care if its scamcoin-X or scamcoin-Y or BTC, they don't understand the differences. They'll see "crypto-currency is unreliable" or "I lost thousands in crypto-currency hack", and they are all sunk.

Exactly. So people should stop investing into shitcoins, because they are losing money and spreading bad PR about the coin. There were orders of magnitude higher money loses on premined coins than there will be on attacking weak coins with 51% attacks.

Sure, they should.  But attacking them isn't the way to do it.  And its not bad PR about the scam-coin you have to worry about. As I said, most outside this forum will NOT distinguish between 'scam-coin X' or 'Bitcoin'.  Its all just crypto-currency. 
Activity: 434
This could be helpful, so people actually stop investing in (mostly premined) shitcoins.

Why do you people even invest in shitcoins? For me, it was logical that price will be dropping, and it is dropping.

Its not the case at all. People need to wake up and stop fighting against each other.  It doesn't matter whether coin X succeeds or coin Y, if ANY single coin fails and it gets any mainstream media attention, you've destroyed any chance for any crypto-currency to ever truly make it.

People outside this forum don't care if its scamcoin-X or scamcoin-Y or BTC, they don't understand the differences. They'll see "crypto-currency is unreliable" or "I lost thousands in crypto-currency hack", and they are all sunk.

Exactly. So people should stop investing into shitcoins, because they are losing money and spreading bad PR about the coin. There were orders of magnitude higher money loses on premined coins than there will be on attacking weak coins with 51% attacks.
might be some FUD in the OP's threats

You can't just magically create coins out of thin air and you can't change the block chain history.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses#Attacker_has_a_lot_of_computing_power

An attacker that controls more than 50% of the network's computing power can, for the time that he is in control, exclude and modify the ordering of transactions. This allows him to:

Reverse transactions that he sends while he's in control
Prevent some or all transactions from gaining any confirmations
Prevent some or all other generators from getting any generations
The attacker can't:

Reverse other people's transactions
Prevent transactions from being sent at all (they'll show as 0/unconfirmed)
Change the number of coins generated per block
Create coins out of thin air
Send coins that never belonged to him
It's much more difficult to change historical blocks, and it becomes exponentially more difficult the further back you go. As above, changing historical blocks only allows you to exclude and change the ordering of transactions. It's impossible to change blocks created before the last checkpoint.

Since this attack doesn't permit all that much power over the network, it is expected that no one will attempt it. A profit-seeking person will always gain more by just following the rules, and even someone trying to destroy the system will probably find other attacks more attractive. However, if this attack is successfully executed, it will be difficult or impossible to "untangle" the mess created — any changes the attacker makes might become permanent.

It's easy to double your money on each attack.  Send to an exchange, reverse transaction, withdraw.  Or, send to exchange, trade for bitcoin, reverse the transaction.

Edit:  By the way, that last paragraph in your post is only true for currencies with significant hash rates.
I think it's dead.  More than twice the total coins in existence got sold on Cryptsy in the last two days.
oO

Just noticed he's also targeting BBQcoin. It's way older than Feathercoin, leave BBQ alone!
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/300x300/38821482.jpg

I would say if he doesn't, someone else will.  It's too easy to perform a 51% attack, I'd be surprised if it's not already rampant.
Activity: 58
all altcoins is nothing to Bitcoins.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
might be some FUD in the OP's threats

You can't just magically create coins out of thin air and you can't change the block chain history.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses#Attacker_has_a_lot_of_computing_power

An attacker that controls more than 50% of the network's computing power can, for the time that he is in control, exclude and modify the ordering of transactions. This allows him to:

Reverse transactions that he sends while he's in control
Prevent some or all transactions from gaining any confirmations
Prevent some or all other generators from getting any generations
The attacker can't:

Reverse other people's transactions
Prevent transactions from being sent at all (they'll show as 0/unconfirmed)
Change the number of coins generated per block
Create coins out of thin air
Send coins that never belonged to him
It's much more difficult to change historical blocks, and it becomes exponentially more difficult the further back you go. As above, changing historical blocks only allows you to exclude and change the ordering of transactions. It's impossible to change blocks created before the last checkpoint.

Since this attack doesn't permit all that much power over the network, it is expected that no one will attempt it. A profit-seeking person will always gain more by just following the rules, and even someone trying to destroy the system will probably find other attacks more attractive. However, if this attack is successfully executed, it will be difficult or impossible to "untangle" the mess created — any changes the attacker makes might become permanent.
Activity: 756
Merit: 501
I think it's dead.  More than twice the total coins in existence got sold on Cryptsy in the last two days.
oO

Just noticed he's also targeting BBQcoin. It's way older than Feathercoin, leave BBQ alone!
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/300x300/38821482.jpg
Activity: 364
Someone with lots of GPUs set up for mining probably has no interest in destroying an altcoin. You make no money destroying a coin, but you sure do loose out on coins that could have been mined elsewhere.

But if 200Mh can bring down one of those altcoins then it's obviously doomed to failure. I can get 200Mh without even touching my mining rigs  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Bitcoin Testnet as an altcoin. Seriously.
There is a point, if he wouldn't (try to) do it publicly, someone else would (try to) do it secretly...

So is PWC dead already?
BTW: Sounds like OP is operating a botnet... ("on a good day i get 200Mh", this indicates variable hashrate, i.e. he's not-GPU mining)

I think it's dead.  More than twice the total coins in existence got sold on Cryptsy in the last two days.

There is a point, if he wouldn't (try to) do it publicly, someone else would (try to) do it secretly...

So is PWC dead already?
BTW: Sounds like OP is operating a botnet... ("on a good day i get 200Mh", this indicates variable hashrate, i.e. he's not-GPU mining)
This is crazy, but good.  This just shows how easy it is to kill a coin that just doesn't have the hash power. 

I wonder what the exchanges are doing to protect themselves...I see a lot of angry customers not being able to withdraw coins.
Activity: 434

As mentioned, whats the point?  Your not helping bitcoin or litecoin in any way by destroying other alt-coins.  All its going to take is for you to affect enough people's money for it to gain a tiny bit of mainstream attention, and all crypto-currency will be labeled with the same brush.
Luckily Yacoin has a good dev and nicely high hashrate.   Tongue
Activity: 672
Hate to call you a looser but I am anyways. Hope you enjoy watching yourself kill other peoples money.... May the same happen on your end.

Then you wonder why Cryptos will never catch on. Small miners WILL NEVER mine, then you lose a majority of your base, and when that happens the retailers give you the middle finger. If its not accepted by the community, retailers will follow suit.

BTW you say that lots of people have more than x amount of GPUs... only here that do mining. These are not the people you need... you need to normal people.

Pages:
Jump to: