Pages:
Author

Topic: 5970 getting 'sick' and dying after 10 minutes of mining. (Read 2629 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
A cap falling off or being removed might not result in immediate damage, but the one you pointed out is in the power regulation section of the card, on one of the power phases. I wouldn't be surprised if it was crashing due to unsteady regulation or spikes.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
I asked on the market place if anyone has a reference 5850 with a dead fan they want to part with.

I don't want to put the work in to fixing it... I bought this card new in 2009 Tongue
Activity: 770
Thing is pissing me off...Seems to work sometimes.

I wonder if you have a tv repair shop in you neighborhood, find out the info on the resistor or cap that fell off, have the tv repair man solder it on.

Prob nearly 20 bucks to do it. And the part is probably only a few bucks.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
perhaps it's time to let it die... at least this way the costs for your time spent on maintenance doesn't skyrocket. possibly could try to repair one single card for days. rip my beloved 5870. you paid yourself off months ago.
Thing is pissing me off...Seems to work sometimes.
I am about to screw with RBE and edit the bios a bit... get it stuck on 2d clocks and it'll be fine Smiley

Hey, gotta milk the crap out it, what ever works. Sucks to hear that the card works like so but gotta admit, I even tease my father for milking his vehicle, oh gawd the laughter though we have.
I am about to screw with RBE and edit the bios a bit... get it stuck on 2d clocks and it'll be fine Smiley
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
Title.

Anyone experienced this before?

I try to downclock... got it at 700-725 and it still crashes and gets sick.

Drivers?

i had one that was doing this about 2-3 days ago

it went pretty quickly from being stable at 810/150 @ 1.010v to 720/150 @ 0.990v to 600/150 @ 0.95v

then i decided to try to go to 650/150 @ 0.950v, it crashed.  powered computer off & on (is there some way in linux to not have to do that when a card crashes?? wtf), and now it won't even run at 550/150.  it says 0.00mhash/s, but it does get like the whole 'new work' messages and stuff.

that room is too hot, and i've been too lazy to take it out of the computer.  besides, the 1st gpu can run at 850/150 @ 1.050v now, since the 2nd gpu isnt giving off any heat
lol....

does 157mhash/s Sad without crashing... was too tired last night to screw with it any.....
It's running as a half borked 5850...

Haha, im lmao @ that statement. I'm def, siggying this.
Sorry a Cap then.

Well it won't work properly as a desktop card....

It's running as a half borked 5850...
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
That's a capacitor. One of my cards has one melted/cooked up by the power connectors.from someone dropping a screw there between the pcie connectors  Works fine without..

If it works fine without then why not include it from the beginning Roll Eyes

If anything is missing then you can bet that something is not right with the card when you want to game on it or use it as display card !
Activity: 658
That's a capacitor. One of my cards has one melted/cooked up by the power connectors.from someone dropping a screw there between the pcie connectors  Works fine without..
HOLY SHIT....

I JUST TRIED the card after removing the burnt out transistor... AND ITS MINING AGAIN Smiley

Picture showing transistor that fell off...

Card is now mining at very low settings to see if it sets fire or not Tongue

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician
I am having that EXACT issue with a 5850.. a tiny resistor fell off when I was cleaning it... It was having issues... Would mine for a minute.. temps would go to 127.5 and lock up... the entire rig.

Everything looks perfect on the card except this one tiny transistor.
Like DNA, which is comprised of 4 heterocyclic bases, there are only 4 electronic components, the resistor, capacitor, transistor and memristor. So which is it that fell off?
no, the temps on this card were good... my cutoff was set @ 90.....

Please share a picture because I really am curious about this.

Touched my naked card on some places and I saw myself some of the resistors were damn hot !
no, the temps on this card were good... my cutoff was set @ 90.....
Can you two post some pictures of the location of this resistor that keeps falling off ?

Might be helpful for me and others with hot cards liable to "falling resistor" problem !

What temps where you running at BTW, 100 C ?
I am having that EXACT issue with a 5850.. a tiny resistor fell off when I was cleaning it... It was having issues... Would mine for a minute.. temps would go to 127.5 and lock up... the entire rig.

Everything looks perfect on the card except this one tiny transistor.
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001
Be careful when removing the card or handling it. One of my older cards showed such symptoms, and when I tried to renew the thermal pads one tiny resistance on the back of the card, which already looked cooked, fell off. Now, I don't get a picture anymore, the fan goes full speed, but the system still appears to be loading in the background. Also, the card doesn't seem to get detected anymore together with another one. Now I wish I had kept my fingers off it and let it run on half speed. But it wasn't the first card I worked on, and I never had issues before that. I'm thinking many months of frying temps will just do that. Again, just be super careful with handling old cards, esp. in smaller cases.
Pages:
Jump to: