Pages:
Author

Topic: 5970 getting 'sick' and dying after 10 minutes of mining. - page 2. (Read 2630 times)

rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
Activity: 285
70 is not very hot as far as GPU's go. GPU-z will let you see voltages and temps not show by some miners. If you have an overheating voltage regulator you may not see it without GPU-z running. Put a fan to really get air flowing with the side cover off. Moving more air may keep the VRM cool, if thats the issue it may run longer than 10 minutes.

legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

For the ram sure. For the vrm those are crap and will cause problems.

You need these at least http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g8/c487/s1292/list/p1/Thermal-Thermal_Pads_Tape-Premium_Thermal_Pads-Page1.html

6W/mK minimum for the vrm or it'll throttle like crazy.

Enlighten me: what does mK stand for?
Activity: 658
Merit: 500

For the ram sure. For the vrm those are crap and will cause problems.

You need these at least http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g8/c487/s1292/list/p1/Thermal-Thermal_Pads_Tape-Premium_Thermal_Pads-Page1.html

6W/mK minimum for the vrm or it'll throttle like crazy.
legendary
Activity: 1190
www.bitcointrading.com
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
What are the temps? Dirty, clogged up heat sinks and fans mess up all kinds of things
Make sure nothing is over clocked before going too crazy troubleshooting stuff. Verify PC BIOS is up to date.
Run a Video card stress test and and look for artifacts to narrow it down to a specific card then swap PCIe slots.
See if the issues follows the card or stays with a PCIe socket.

Temps at around 70 per core.

Will try the rest.  Thank you!!
Activity: 285
What are the temps? Dirty, clogged up heat sinks and fans mess up all kinds of things
Make sure nothing is over clocked before going too crazy troubleshooting stuff. Verify PC BIOS is up to date.
Run a Video card stress test and and look for artifacts to narrow it down to a specific card then swap PCIe slots.
See if the issues follows the card or stays with a PCIe socket.
Activity: 357
and yeah, he sold you his dud that he may have already tried to fix... or didnt attempt to fix atleast, lol
Activity: 357
do you have enough power ?

Yes, a PC Power and Cooling 950w PSU with only two 5970 on them.  I cannot clock them over 600 or one of them fails.

Got it from a guy on the forum too, looks like he sold me his dud 5970.

u might need to take it apart, clean off the gpu's and put new thermal paste & pads on it.

Yes, a PC Power and Cooling 950w PSU with only two 5970 on them.  I cannot clock them over 600 or one of them fails.

Got it from a guy on the forum too, looks like he sold me his dud 5970.
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
legendary
725 is the stock speed. You might need to just keep it underclocked below stock.
So far no sickness or failure at 600 core.
legendary
Try running both cores at 600,300,0.95 and see what happens.
Activity: 896
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
The only driver-related problem I know of is when you're running more than 4 GPUs (ie. more than two 5970s) on the same mobo with drivers higher than 11.12.  It'll bluescreen every time.
Title.

Anyone experienced this before?

I try to downclock... got it at 700-725 and it still crashes and gets sick.

Drivers?
Pages:
Jump to: