Author

Topic: 7 Rules for Writing a Good Post Title (Read 498 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 352
March 31, 2023, 05:01:02 AM
Thank you for sharing this I have not been aware of those useful topics but your comment made me to open them and indeed I have learned a lot that has opened my eye to some errors I have made in my writing style in the past.

But thank goodness it is not late to correct,  and I am sure I am not the only one who has learned one of two things from the posts you listed above.
Activity: 84
Merit: 18
March 31, 2023, 02:22:32 AM
To me, this is a very important guides because most at times I feel bored posting when the last post do not attracts comments, contributions or aculeates to your post. Well, is good one but more of that, people wants to see exactly what is in your subject topic. Sometimes people end up writing different stuffs off the topic of discussion, that alone discourage comments. Am a victim of it on several post. Lol but am learning the way forward here. Thank you
Activity: 588
Merit: 119
Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game
March 30, 2023, 07:54:59 PM
Post tittle has alot to do with the post. It's introduce the post to people. To me, post tittle should be formed in a way that will attract the attention of all it's readers.
Activity: 560
Merit: 424
I buy all valid country Gift cards swiftly.
March 29, 2023, 03:06:50 PM
I basically don't have any specific rules that I follow when writing a post title and that is because I just flow with whatever comes at the moment and there are times that I actually battle with post topics and I want to also appreciate OP for this great article.
But on the other hand, the forum is one place that amazes me because things don't really go as expected and there are cases where one gets more attention and contributions and even bunch of merits from post  that technically doesn't seem worth it, meanwhile there are times where we take out time and put in more efforts to give the forum a nice content and end up not getting any attention, hence I just end up to tell people to just flow and contribute meaningfully to the forum by doing your best and leaving the rest.
Activity: 2268
Merit: 581
March 29, 2023, 11:50:49 AM
If someone knows the content of the post then the title of the post will come to you. But before posting on any topic, you must know about it well and post it. And always make sure that the information you share in the post is truthful and informative. So that others can benefit from your post.

But one more thing is that posting should not be rushed. posting should take time. If you post on time, the content of the post will be well observed in front of you and the quality of the post will be good.
That doesn't always happen that the title of the post comes to them, because I've seen a lot of times where people have totally different content within the post while the title is referring to something totally different, and that becomes misleading. It is not always too easy to come up with a perfect title and some people lack these skills.

One needs to work on their writing and understanding abilities in order to come up with perfect titles for posts and threads so that their title can match the content of their post. It is not easy but it is something that one can learn over time.
Activity: 896
Merit: 584
BTC, a coin of today and tomorrow.
March 28, 2023, 01:04:55 PM
Snip
It actually does, topic titles are as important as the body of the posts but many people take that for granted and that's why some posts don't get the attention they deserve.
It's not aguable sir, hence all you said are confirmed to be true. But in some cases when a newbies makes such topic it would result in low turned out just as you said of a contributor to the forum.
I myself have also found some post created by contributors which I noticed the body of the subject matter doesn't really convincing despite the topic attracted many users.
In such post you could only found out that there are many viewers or visitors but people doesn't comment since the body of the messages is not comprehendible.

I dont have any laid down rules for writing posts title as I do not consider it a big task. Infact I do not write my post title until I am able to finish the body of the post, then I can write the post title.  I write post title based on what the body of my post said and not based on what I preconceived in my memory. Sometimes you can have one particular unique topic in your head but during expression you can digress from your original intentions. It isn't that advisable to make hard rules for creating titles of a post.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 690
March 28, 2023, 11:10:03 AM
Do you have any other rules you follow when writing a post title?
Usually the title is a summary of the overall writing that we write and most people are looking for words that are easy and as attractive as possible to make the title.

Making an interesting title is indeed very important in writing so that readers don't misunderstand the content written and are not misleading, but for people in choosing the right title it will usually be different. Personally I usually choose a title based on what I'm writing and will summarize as briefly as possible to make it look interesting and in accordance with the content written, the most important thing is that the title that is made does not confuse the reader and has the same meaning as the writing.
Activity: 1400
Merit: 650
Always Act Smart and Play Safe With Your Funds
March 26, 2023, 04:15:56 AM
Snip
It actually does, topic titles are as important as the body of the posts but many people take that for granted and that's why some posts don't get the attention they deserve.
It's not aguable sir, hence all you said are confirmed to be true. But in some cases when a newbies makes such topic it would result in low turned out just as you said of a contributor to the forum.
I myself have also found some post created by contributors which I noticed the body of the subject matter doesn't really convincing despite the topic attracted many users.
In such post you could only found out that there are many viewers or visitors but people doesn't comment since the body of the messages is not comprehendible.
legendary
Activity: 2240
Merit: 4133
eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.
March 25, 2023, 07:24:26 PM
In summary, your title doesn't affect your mind. You may have a very good title and have a poor information inside of it. As a writer always try your best for the words to be comprehensible and meaningful by people, I think that's all.

It actually does, topic titles are as important as the body of the posts but many people take that for granted and that's why some posts don't get the attention they deserve. Except you're a well known quality contributor to the forum that people are naturally attracted to reading your started topics, the way you write the titles of your topic could attract readers or chase them away. There are ways annoying trolls and spammers structure their post title that people naturally avoid those kind or topics therefore if you write in such way you'll be avoided as well.

When your topic is filled with generic meaning it chase away users that don't tend to associate with such threads. And example is when you see a topic like 'Is Bitcoin the future of money'. Immediately you should know that such thread will be filled with people just saying anything to complete post quota and could be classified as a topic that attract spammers. Naturally I won't engage in such thread and many here won't do the same. You should note that we're in a generation where first impression really matters as you can lose your audience within the first 3-10 seconds they interact with your content.
Merit: 650
Always Act Smart and Play Safe With Your Funds
March 25, 2023, 04:42:49 PM
It may interest you that not everyone that are good in an essay writing or writing a comprehensive words of an event directly to what happened. For me the only thing I think is very much necessary here is we should try as possible as it's to avoid spamming or even involving with copy and paste from other site without any reasonable proof or authenticity.

Hence whenever a fellow is able to write out what is in his mind or her mind such person have conveyed an information. Note that what makes information effective is the ability for the received to decode the content an the information is what makes it effective, otherwise can be seen or likely to be jargon. Jargon is a spoken words or a written information that is not comprehensible by the reader. However is a words associated or being used by some professional groups or departments.

In summary, your title doesn't affect your mind. You may have a very good title and have a poor information inside of it. As a writer always try your best for the words to be comprehensible and meaningful by people, I think that's all.
Merit: 273
March 25, 2023, 09:45:55 AM
In a nutshell, your friends were fortunate, but they will fail if they continue to invest in meme coins to increase their wealth. Meme coins are a type of pump and dump coins and are unreliable. The hype that can generate short term demand is the only reason it pumps. It would not work for long, so you cannot keep them because you will lose money. Luck determines the opportunity to make money on meme coins. This is worse than betting because only a small number of individuals make money from this kind of investment.
Activity: 462
Merit: 472
Humanity, my Religion.
March 25, 2023, 05:17:24 AM
Writing a post title well is important, but I don't think there's a problem if the title uses punctuation or what you mention. the most important thing is that the title and content of the post are all in sync and not in different directions.
correct me if I'm wrong

I have seen posts titles that are not related to the content. Some of these writers come up with titles without taking the time to develop content synonymous with the title. When one gets an idea I think the writer should get a title and next develop the content. Sometimes in the course of content development, it might become necessary to rephrase or change the title because the content might have touched a new or added some new concepts. There is a need to evaluate your writings after development because both the title and content can make or mar your efforts.
Activity: 476
Merit: 231
March 25, 2023, 04:28:44 AM
If someone knows the content of the post then the title of the post will come to you. But before posting on any topic, you must know about it well and post it. And always make sure that the information you share in the post is truthful and informative. So that others can benefit from your post.

But one more thing is that posting should not be rushed. posting should take time. If you post on time, the content of the post will be well observed in front of you and the quality of the post will be good.
Activity: 631
Merit: 253
March 25, 2023, 02:01:03 AM
Having this kinds of information will help a lot in the future for those who needs reference and instructions regarding how to's in the forum. Personally, I don't have any posting style as long as I can reply even if it's not that accurate as long as it can contribute to the discussion coz what's more important for me is, it should be relevant to the topic not just some random words or flowery words just to make your post longer.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1854
🙏🏼Padayon...🙏
March 24, 2023, 11:43:37 PM
In formal writing, there are a number of rules in writing the title. For example, and this is one that you missed, there is a rule to capitalize all the first letters of every word except articles and conjunctions, among others. But is this applicable here? Are members here very particular about how titles are structured, or whether they're written properly or not? After all, this isn't some kind of a grammar or writing forum.

What's important for me is that the title succinctly captures the topic that's to be discussed. That's enough I guess.
Activity: 602
Merit: 291
March 24, 2023, 11:03:23 PM
Writing a post title well is important, but I don't think there's a problem if the title uses punctuation or what you mention. the most important thing is that the title and content of the post are all in sync and not in different directions.
correct me if i'm wrong
Activity: 2240
Merit: 175
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
March 24, 2023, 06:04:52 PM

The best title for me here in Bitcointalk is something short and asks a question straightforward or summarizes the whole subject in a short title, this is a discussion forum, and having a title that can give us an idea of what the topic is through the title will have us decide if it's the discussion worth participating and will save us time when looking for a discussion to participate and will also give us an idea if its something that needs additional input or tutorial or asking about solutions about a problem.
Activity: 448
Merit: 294
March 24, 2023, 04:16:02 PM
All the rules are clear enough in this forum although there are still many who break it and think it's trivial. But it would be nice for us to follow all the rules for making the right topic so that people who read also understand what you want to discuss.

The most important thing is not to make a title that invites many readers but the content is different from the title. Because making a title in a discussion thread is an important thing that aims to exchange ideas about a problem or issue. In essence, the information we need to discuss needs to be included in the title so that readers can immediately find out about our topic.
Activity: 798
Merit: 538
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
March 24, 2023, 10:48:03 AM

There's this common mistakes people made in writing their thread title, they overemphasize on the topic by bolden the text or capitalizing the entire letters, doing this does not makes any changes about the content of the post if it carries a semantic meaning or not, neither does it attract people to have a look on the thread or make a reply, what we compose as the content matters alot and should carries the meaning that define the best interpretation for the title used.

Activity: 966
Merit: 548
March 22, 2023, 06:59:08 PM
Despite is official or not about this forum we have use good, polite and structure words when posting some thing here, many people break out the rule from using bad words until not structure about words using.  Understood about English is not our mother language but we need to understand little about how to make good post.

I think OP have good ideas remember us how to be good content writing in Bitcointalk forum and always allow the rule when making post here, don't post without any coherence with topic with some user not reading all topic or discussing board before making post. Could better add one list about rule for writing by using polite world and have good structure.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1004
Goodnight, ohh Leo!!! 🦅
March 22, 2023, 06:57:33 PM
I love the fact that you've made illustrations to the original post....
You seee sometimes, I'll end up stumbling on Posts that haven't been properly conscripted, talk more of it's topic sentence.... Sometimes, it might actually be a helpful thread (that already has answers to whatever questions pertaining to the subject in question),....but, the Op could decide coming up with a topic that looks like he's asking the community - how to go about the whole thing - have you stumbled on such? ... its not usually funny to experience that since I could actually get a clear description as to what your post carries, without even reading it yet.

Sandra 🧑‍🦰
Activity: 364
Merit: 272
March 22, 2023, 06:47:51 PM
The rules are self-explanatory and can be a good reference. and most importantly, the title and content of the topic to be discussed must be the same so that no discussion is off the main topic. Sometimes there are beginners who make threads that don't match the title written.
But is it so important to think about the title of a thread? I think it's important because the title will give an initial idea of ​​what will be discussed.
Until now there are still quite a lot of beginners who make mistakes in writing the title and contents of the thread so that many people misunderstand. Maybe it was unintentional or on purpose so that many would comment, but this is quite disturbing for readers who know how to write well and in the end it becomes uninteresting so that the thread creator doesn't get what the thread creator wants from the discussion.
Activity: 602
Merit: 17
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
March 06, 2023, 11:12:08 PM
Posting to forums must be quality complete and high quality posts where information exists. If there is no information in the post quality, then the post does not go viral, so any subject should be properly monitored. The rules mentioned here (opi) are considered reasonable by many, but not by anyone. Here everyone has equal rights but not equal in terms of knowledge. Rules must be followed.
Activity: 700
Merit: 577
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
December 07, 2022, 04:21:36 PM
Topic calls the attention of the passerby. Or it attracts scanning and skimming users to read and make comments in the thread. What you (OP) has listed are correct. The number 1 and number 3 are some of the major things to do in the forum. If anyone want to make an exploit, the user should develop an habit of learning then the user will know more and do well. The official and unofficial rules are spelled out clearly in the forum. Therefore, this is like an re-enforcement thread.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1074
Youtube Channel = Aak Zaki
December 07, 2022, 02:32:54 PM
The rules are self-explanatory and can be a good reference. and most importantly, the title and content of the topic to be discussed must be the same so that no discussion is off the main topic. Sometimes there are beginners who make threads that don't match the title written.
But is it so important to think about the title of a thread? I think it's important because the title will give an initial idea of ​​what will be discussed.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 850
December 07, 2022, 01:31:42 PM
You haven't mentioned the most necessary rules shared by theymos IIRC. theymos has asked to write title in normal front (letter). Start with capital letter and keep the rest of the word as normal. Apart from this, I guess using a question in the title should also be avoided.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 343
Hhampuz is the best manager
December 07, 2022, 09:31:01 AM
The best way of choosing the title is cane from the body of the thread itself. And also before creating title we need to search it first cause some topic we want to make, its already been discussed.

Actually thread creator do something nasty on their title header in purpose they want to clickbait there reader for them to gather huge attention so don't be surprised about seeing such thing since many people including on the mainstream doing that to make sure that they get right amount of readers on their post. Maybe on part of readers we shouldn't believe immediately what we see on title and always read the content since this could save us to get mislead on the information we read on internet.
Yes you are right that mate as a reader we need to read all the content or what's in the thread it because once we automatically reply based on the title  and did not read the whole thread then a big chance of mislead. Read the content and some replies is a good habit.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 783
December 06, 2022, 07:22:46 PM
Actually thread creator do something nasty on their title header in purpose they want to clickbait there reader for them to gather huge attention so don't be surprised about seeing such thing since many people including on the mainstream doing that to make sure that they get right amount of readers on their post. Maybe on part of readers we shouldn't believe immediately what we see on title and always read the content since this could save us to get mislead on the information we read on internet.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 3098
December 06, 2022, 06:43:52 PM

You forgot to say, to avoid unnecessary spam, it is desirable to do at least a short research, maybe someone has already asked the same or something similar and there has been a discussion on such a topic.
Also, important rule. Do not open a new topic if you are really not interested in answers.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1018
Hello Leo! You can still win.
December 06, 2022, 04:38:07 PM
It is only when one is making forced topics that they will think of a title. A natural thread comes with a natural title. Infact the title will come before the body of the thread.
For instance, if I want to send someone a merit and the system doesn't allow me to do so and I want to open a thread in Meta. I wouldn't need to think about the title topic other than "system unable to send merit", "unable to merit", "merit bug" etc.

Your topic is a nice one and should be needed more by article writers for publication. Blog post writers etc. In thus forum, I think it should come natural and simple.
Activity: 532
Merit: 125
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
December 06, 2022, 12:04:51 PM
I understand that the title are sometimes misleading when you read it, but what should be focus on are the topics that should be discuss and content, are well informed and have meaning, but of course all those things should captivated the target audience, having a good title sometimes is not enough, but thank you for the information, i will remember this post as some of my guides in making topics.
Activity: 476
Merit: 283
December 06, 2022, 11:53:13 AM
Topic titles are sometimes the most difficult thing to write. There are some that are compelling and make you want to click and open up, while there are some that are just plain boring. Additionally, there are some titles of posts that are just poorly written. Even though I am not 100% guilt-free, I still plan to post this because I believe we will benefit from it.

#1: Be concise - Don't try to cram information into your title and don't try to communicate more than 1 key take-away in your title.
#2: Minimize the number of words in your title - Good thing that the Forum allows for only 80 Character limit.
#3:  Be specific - Do not beat around the Bush
#4:  No punctuation marks - especially full stops
#5: Use an active verb
#6: No filler words  - Examples - Very, Basically, So, Just, Really, Highly,
#7: No acronyms  -

Note - It was Dr Anna's post that gave me the idea for this  post.

I feel a topics should not be misleading. Despite the fact that I'm relatively new here, I've see a topics that is not inline with the content of the post. It's not about click bait or catchy phrases.
We all have what interest us and what interest you may the different from what interest the next person. So no matter how interesting you make the topic sound, people would be immediately be uninterested once they find out the topic is different from the actual content of the post.
Activity: 350
Merit: 255
December 04, 2022, 03:56:48 PM
OP is trying to put newbies through so that they don't d make the mistake of what some forum members are making. I have observed that some forum members don't know how to title their thread. I went through a thread not quite long that the OP titled  his thread on something different from the content of the thread, It was other members that corrected him on how to title his thread,which he later did.
A thread title should be able to make readers understand the content of the thread before reading,so that it doesn't change the mindset of the reader. Infact,some persons are ok with whatever they read as long as they understand the information about the thread, but for me I don't like it.
 Grin
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 3858
Activity: 378
Merit: 340
Top Crypto Casino
December 03, 2022, 11:40:23 PM
Your point entirely are not bad but i dont think to start up a story in the forum only a strong title cuts it.  I donno if you have actually seen some post created in the forum carrying a strong title which can lure someone to the post but after reading the contents of the story you really get dissapointed and the readers makes no comment on it.  For me a good title is ok, but the whole aspect of quality should be on the information you are passing. Even the most poorly constructed article in terms of the writers arrangements still goes viral in the forum so far as the information the person is trying to pass is reliable and informative enough
Activity: 1344
Merit: 459
Vave.com - Crypto Casino
December 03, 2022, 11:22:06 PM
Seems excited with this important points because ever I used all above example words from Very, Basically, So, Just, Really and Highly, thank have explaining about words have less used when make good post tittle. I saw many user still used with this words and seems not interested become good post tittle.
I will try how increase with become good writing post title and make good quality replaying, some user not understand yet when making post tittle and seems just want to get enough qualifying post only participating on signature campaign.
Activity: 2002
Merit: 633
Your keys, your responsibility
December 03, 2022, 10:59:35 PM
I personally don't really think about the guidelines for writing topic titles. Not that it's unimportant, the rule of thumb (for me) is that the title should contain a 1-line summary of the main topic. Just that.
In fact, even with the wrong topic title, some users (using ad attributes) prefer to comment on it rather than ignore it. lol.
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206
December 03, 2022, 07:10:41 PM
  • Don't write in all capital letters.
  • Use a bracket that clarifies it is a study, discussion, tutorial, lesson, guide or tips and etc.

This has been posted before on this topic.
Writing title is very important but make it sure it didn't mislead the readers.
Activity: 1736
Merit: 121
December 03, 2022, 06:27:38 PM
You are only expressing of what good writing is like when you want to write letter for application or other letters by maintaining of the English rule to know how to write to publish. For the forum, what happen to information? I think the most important aspect of writing or posting here is the information you give out. It is good to write very well but the posters here are suppose to grow the platform and bitcoin generally.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 509
Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform
December 03, 2022, 03:27:36 PM
In a forum, people tend to click threads regardless of the vagueness of the title. Although, if a person is training towards writing journals they can practice with the forum by consistently writing catchy topics. However, I'll have to disagree, both here and the source, on kicking out adjectives and adverbs entirely on a topic can dull readers impression of clicking an article.

Descriptive words are vehicles to crafting catchy topics. And qualifying them pleonasm words on topic doesn't sit right.
Activity: 798
Merit: 538
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
December 03, 2022, 03:17:48 PM
Topic titles are sometimes the most difficult thing to write.

You're right because I've seen alot of people writing post that does not correspond to the title given, but in most cases for this kind of situations, over too know is what some people try to do but deviated rather from the main idea unknowingly to them just in the name of i too know, you also don't have to complicate a topic before it will seem to carry a semantic meaning in your presence, just a simple presentation in simple terms is ok than grammatical wrong title for posts.

Don't ever exargerate a topic
Don't use symbols or smileys
Don't write a sentence for topic
Correct grammatical errors
Let your title carry the same intended contents.
Activity: 1358
Merit: 888
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!
December 03, 2022, 02:35:35 PM
OP, why did you stop at number 7? According to the source you linked, there are two more "rules" that you didn't mention:

#9: The level of jargon in the title should match the target audience
#10: The title should adhere to your target journal's guidelines

I think you're right that there are some important things to consider when writing a title. However, I think the most important rule for submitting topics here is to make sure that your title clearly and accurately reflects the content of your post. If you're writing for a general audience, it is acceptable to be more creative with your title. But if you're writing for a more specialized audience, like scientific journals, then it makes sense to use more formal language.
Activity: 1498
Merit: 702
December 03, 2022, 01:23:07 PM
I don’t think there is any school of taught to write a post title here in the forum. I think before anyone starts a post here the first thing to consider is the post title and how the post title should be.

Really I don’t consider a title more importantly than the content of the post but the issue I have is when the title of a post is like catchy and when you read the post it’s totally not in relation with the body of the post.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 656
December 03, 2022, 01:16:25 PM
I'm not sure if thinking it all is important. what you explain is impressed with making news headlines that are commonly used by the media to lure readers.
I am more interested in choosing a title that fits the context discussed. no other. titles that speak facts with available information. it's better than making a title that only triggers readers to come to be disappointed with the contents of the content.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 669
Bitcoin Casino Est. 2013
December 03, 2022, 01:05:57 PM
You don't really need to have a good title as long as the title is on topic nothing more nothing less. Nore important is that your post should be clear and easy to understand ecem though you write it like wall of text. Sometimes, some topics need more explaination rather than using short text or a summarized version. What most people doesn't like is that you use a clickbait title which made many people to see it and then very disappointed when they read OP which is full of text copied from another source rather than making a summarized of the topic. In short, the title I will use os direct to the point.
Activity: 952
Merit: 824
Livecasino.io
December 03, 2022, 12:00:55 PM
Topic titles are sometimes the most difficult thing to write. There are some that are compelling and make you want to click and open up, while there are some that are just plain boring. Additionally, there are some titles of posts that are just poorly written. Even though I am not 100% guilt-free, I still plan to post this because I believe we will benefit from it.

#1: Be concise - Don't try to cram information into your title and don't try to communicate more than 1 key take-away in your title.
#2: Minimize the number of words in your title - Good thing that the Forum allows for only 80 Character limit.
#3:  Be specific - Do not beat around the Bush
#4:  No punctuation marks - especially full stops
#5: Use an active verb
#7: No acronyms  -

Note - It was Dr Anna's post that gave me the idea for this  post.

Jump to: