Pages:
Author

Topic: 73-Year-Old Michigan Woman Believed She Won Over $3M but got SCAMMED for $700K (Read 407 times)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 350

lol computer shop ,
you want to know what's even worse? after getting scammed,she went to the GEEK SQUAD. that's right the best buy geek squad.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/computer-tablet-services/geek-squad-24-7-support-welcome/pcmcat748300520360.c?id=pcmcat748300520360

imagine sending $15k or $20k to a scammer at a bitcoin ATM and showing up to the geek squad hoping/thinking they can help you get your money back now that is a sad situation.  but that's exactly what happened. and it happened to a lady. these scam victims seem to be women i'm not sure why that is but i do not really see as many men falling for this scam as women. what do you guys think about that?

are men just smarter?  Shocked
Activity: 2366
Merit: 207
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

that is the difference between younger age and the Older one , because they felt nothing to gain from their capacity and with this they become greedy , we don't know what's her plan why she wanted that 3.5million because we are not there to ask her and give us her motive , yet this is het fault and we cannot do anything about this.
I just felt sorry for her still.

i remember a story about this lady getting scammed and she went to a computer shop hoping they could fix everything. well, no unfortunately, computer shops can't reverse bitcoin transactions. your life savings is gone, lady. that's a really sad story how desperate someone would be to go to a business for help like that. i'm sure she needed that money too.
lol computer shop , and even if that shop could help about recovery for sure they will be the one that would took the funds after, we are talking tons of money here and not just some penny that can be given as a free services , mostly this kind of stuffs can change every humans Attitude and behavior.

It’s really sad to hear about the 73-year-old woman.Her story shows why it’s so crucial to have people in your life who you can chat with about these things.
she did have someone in her life she could talk about it to. didn't you read the story? she ended up asking her friend for advice but that was AFTER she made that money grab.

It’s tough to call someone dumb for being caught in a scam like this
you would think someone that had amassed $700,000 liquid cash would be smarter than to just give it all away. so yeah it was dumb.

because these schemes are designed to be convincing and prey on hope and trust. It’s just a tough reminder for all of us to stay sharp and support each other, especially those who might not be as familiar with these kinds of tricks.
it's a bitcoin ATM. all she had to do is google "bitcoin" and that would pretty much tell her what she was doing was irreversible. some people just were meant to be broke and maybe this lady was one of them this may all sound harsh but thats how i see it.
copper member
Activity: 28
Merit: 1
73-Year-Old Michigan Woman Believed She Won Over $3M from Publishers Clearing House, Instead She Was Using Bitcoin ATMs and Buying Jewelry In $700K Scam

In total, the woman sent more than $669,500 before she gathered that something wasn't adding up with the sweepstakes winnings and told a friend. Her friend told her it was a scam and she reported it to police on March 17.

this scammer really got ahold of that ladies bank account and milked her for every cent. it sounds like.

"She went back and forth, sent multiple cashier’s checks, deposited money into bitcoin ATMs, which was then transferred into the suspect’s account, and also bought a couple of pieces of high-end jewelry and sent them to the suspect,”

if that $669,500 was any significant part of her net worth then you have to wonder how someone could be THAT DUMB.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/73-year-old-michigan-woman-believed-she-won-over-3m-from-publishers-clearing-house-instead-she-was-using-bitcoin-atms-and-buying-jewelry-in-700k-scam/ar-BB1kNGEy

It’s really sad to hear about the 73-year-old woman.Her story shows why it’s so crucial to have people in your life who you can chat with about these things.
It’s tough to call someone dumb for being caught in a scam like this because these schemes are designed to be convincing and prey on hope and trust. It’s just a tough reminder for all of us to stay sharp and support each other, especially those who might not be as familiar with these kinds of tricks.
Activity: 1974
Merit: 174
People recieving emails, SMS and messages on social media states that they won this much amount in lottery and to withdraw the winning reward the user should deposit a minimum clearance amount for verification type of scam is decade old method and surprisingly it still survives and people lose their life savings to it.
there are lot of this here in my country , specially when the government started implementing Sim Card registration that made us vulnerable to hackers and those who can access our data.
but lucky for me that never did I entertain any one from these kind specially when i am not playing anything like that.
Activity: 2618
Merit: 439
This is a stupid mistake and I wouldn’t normally feel bad except she’s really old and she might not exactly know the complexities of things anymore.

I just wonder if she had any kids and if any of them knew what she was doing? It must be devastating for her and I can not imagine nor do I want to experience something similar to what she is going through at her age.
Activity: 2380
Merit: 251
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
People recieving emails, SMS and messages on social media states that they won this much amount in lottery and to withdraw the winning reward the user should deposit a minimum clearance amount for verification type of scam is decade old method and surprisingly it still survives and people lose their life savings to it.

that is the difference between younger age and the Older one , because they felt nothing to gain from their capacity and with this they become greedy , we don't know what's her plan why she wanted that 3.5million because we are not there to ask her and give us her motive , yet this is het fault and we cannot do anything about this.

i remember a story about this lady getting scammed and she went to a computer shop hoping they could fix everything. well, no unfortunately, computer shops can't reverse bitcoin transactions. your life savings is gone, lady. that's a really sad story how desperate someone would be to go to a business for help like that. i'm sure she needed that money too.

yeah it should be her greed that brings her in but still she is a 73 year old that might be thinking differently at her age, so let us still feel sorry at least for her age .

i could feel sorry for someone, even a young person who didn't have much and gave everything they had and got scammed trying to get a better life but when you already have $700,000 you already have a better life...no need to be greedy  Shocked

yeah it should be her greed that brings her in but still she is a 73 year old that might be thinking differently at her age, so let us still feel sorry at least for her age .

how would she be thinking differently? she wanted the $3.5 million, car and $7000 per week for life. keep in mind she already had $700,000 or more just sitting in her bank account but that wasn't good enough for her. how do you have sympathy for someone like that? no matter what their age. i say she got exactly what she deserved but that's just me.

i don't think her mental condition played any role in any of this. she was all there upstairs if she could figure out how to send money through a bitcoin atm and sit on this secret for weeks if not months and then when she finally didn't get what she had hoped, she sits down with a friend and explains the whole thing. yeah. not buying that she was old and senile and that's why she fell victim for it.

i could feel sorry for someone, even a young person who didn't have much and gave everything they had and got scammed trying to get a better life but when you already have $700,000 you already have a better life...no need to be greedy  Shocked
Activity: 2940
Merit: 657
Actually, I've read one of this kind of scam that they mimic family members or near to it. Like someone tries to introduce him/herself that they know your relative and your relative involves in an accident and they need immediate money.
that's not what happened here as this scam went on for MONTHS.

Then, someone who posed as an attorney with the Federal Trade Commission contacted her and persuaded her to send sizable payments over several months to secure her winnings and pay storage fees for the car she won.

it was her own greed that did her in. so i don't really feel sorry for her. she could have bought 10 cars with the money she had and had hundreds of thousands of dollars left over.
Well, she just fell for that trick by using someone's name and highly valued official. It's worth mentioning by these scammers and that's why they're going to do it again to the other potential victims.

The problem here is when someone over the phone or email wants you to pay this xx amount then that's how the scam goes and it's already a red flag.

I'd never pay for such.

it was her own greed that did her in. so i don't really feel sorry for her. she could have bought 10 cars with the money she had and had hundreds of thousands of dollars left over.

scammers want to target noobs. if they could target 7 year old children they would do that if it meant filling their pockets with bitcoin. no one is off limits. but 7 year old children don't have money so that's why they don't do that. but if they did you would see scammers befriending them and trying to get them to send them all their money just how it is...

sad but true mate,  scammers target no specification but the willing victim will be the one to take in .

Actually, I've read one of this kind of scam that they mimic family members or near to it. Like someone tries to introduce him/herself that they know your relative and your relative involves in an accident and they need immediate money.
that's not what happened here as this scam went on for MONTHS.

Then, someone who posed as an attorney with the Federal Trade Commission contacted her and persuaded her to send sizable payments over several months to secure her winnings and pay storage fees for the car she won.

Quote from: peter0425
A very sad story , How could someone scammed  a lady with that age ? there are lots of people that they can victimized whom has more capacity in providing for themselves , but this woman ?

you're asking the wrong question. if YOU were a scammer trying to get people to send you bitcoin through an ATM machine, who do you think you would target? that's right, you would target people exactly like this lady who had no clue about anything. and usually that means older people, even elderly. you wouldn't care if it put them out on the streets. that would be THEIR problem. something they should have thought of before rolling the dice.

scammers want to target noobs. if they could target 7 year old children they would do that if it meant filling their pockets with bitcoin. no one is off limits. but 7 year old children don't have money so that's why they don't do that. but if they did you would see scammers befriending them and trying to get them to send them all their money just how it is...

That's sad and terrible.

These scammers really are targeting anyone that are not familiar with the scam. And this old woman, this might be her retirement fund that she no longer will be able to recover.

Totally these scammers are ruthless and they don't have compassion to whomever they're going to scam because they have no bracket as everyone is their potential victim.

just wait until they start using artificial intelligence to mimic family members voices. if they start doing that, expect a whole new wave of people getting scammed. then the scammers will start using AI voices to call peoples' banks and things like that...banks will probably need some type of extra verification since just giving your name and address and such might not work anymore. they call them "deep fakes"

So, you on the other side of the phone panicking without realizing that you're forced to send money without verifying if the call is true.

It's no longer safe nowadays, scammers will also upgrade so we also need to keep ourselves informed with their tactics.
Activity: 2618
Merit: 439
A very sad story , How could someone scammed  a lady with that age ? there are lots of people that they can victimized whom has more capacity in providing for themselves , but this woman ? that is maybe her everything so sad losing 700 thousand dollars just like this at that age.
but again another Bitcoin ATM thing , how many of this will still need to happen .
Activity: 2338
Merit: 191
Let's be honest - this is not a pleasant story to hear. I just wonder why such an old and rich woman doesn't have someone she can trust by her side – especially when she's dealing with a lot of money. In my opinion, $700K is a lot of money - so a 70+ year old should have someone accompany him wherever he goes rather than doing it alone.
at the age of 73 is there none of Her relatives and friends that taking care of? I mean
at least someone that checking her each time and what is she dealing for?

I didn't read the OP's entire story even though I tried to open the news link - but I admit it's not a pleasant story. It's a shame that an elderly woman like her has to lose a lot of money because of scam.
its a really sad story , knowing that the victim is an Old woman that only has short time
in world but yet scammers chooses to victimized.
That's sad and terrible.

These scammers really are targeting anyone that are not familiar with the scam. And this old woman, this might be her retirement fund that she no longer will be able to recover.

Totally these scammers are ruthless and they don't have compassion to whomever they're going to scam because they have no bracket as everyone is their potential victim.

just wait until they start using artificial intelligence to mimic family members voices. if they start doing that, expect a whole new wave of people getting scammed. then the scammers will start using AI voices to call peoples' banks and things like that...banks will probably need some type of extra verification since just giving your name and address and such might not work anymore. they call them "deep fakes"
That's sad and terrible.

Activity: 1582
Merit: 281
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
It is very important to note that any body who asks you to send money to claim your balance or winning or anything at all is 99% trying to scam you.

The thing is, these scammers are pretty good with the tricks and plots that they use to victimize people, and one wouldn't even understand that they are getting scammed because they use such wording, they approach you in a very good manner starting a conversation that doesn't make you feel like they are here to scam you because they wouldn't get to the point straight away. The scammer will make you feel unaware of what is happening or what is going to happen so that you don't suspect anything.

I have seen and experienced such things and I know how smooth they are in this craft. You will find a lot of such scammers in Telegram if you join crypto-related Telegram groups and channels. Someone like me or you who is experienced and knows such things wouldn't fall for their traps but someone who is new in the space would think they might have something good to offer because they would target people by giving them offers that they can't refuse out of greed.

The scammers on telegram are actually a lot. Speaking of that, I cannot count how many times they texted me trying to earn trust (because that’s the key they use to bewitch people). Based on experience, many of us already have trust issues and no new method of scamming can work on us. I really hope that the newbies get to know these things on time and don’t fall victim like many people have sadly done.

I partially blame the bank as well at this point: I understand many old people fall for this scams but bank employees should be very aware of the situation. If all of sudden you start withdrawing money and getting cashier's checks one after the other, the bank should ask you a couple of questions just to make sure you know what you are doing, especially if it's an old customer doing that. It's fun how banks often asks questions for perfectly legit transfers but when there is something that would raise a ton of rd flags nobody notices it  Roll Eyes

exactly! no checks in place to stop someone from doing something that dumb. especially the bitcoin atm you would think it would have some type of limits in place for NEW customers like no more than $1000 per day and max of $5000 per month. but NOOOOO....that lady should sue the bitcoin atm machine.

According to the Troy Police Department, the scam began months ago when the woman was mailed what appeared to be an official notice from the popular sweepstakes company claiming she won $3.5 million, a car, and $7,000 a week for life

imagine being already a millionaire but risking almost all of it to become a slightly bigger millionaire. it's not going to really change your life if you win but if you lose... Shocked

Most old people are losing their cognitive abilities at a certain age, which makes them dumb and gullible.

Imagine the police having to explain to this lady why she couldn't get her money back. "Maam, I'm really sorry but bitcoin transactions are irreversible they have this blockchain and ..."

one good outcome of the whole is that this lady became technologically savvy enough to use a bitcoin atm and learn a hell of alot about BTC.
Pages:
Jump to: