Pages:
Author

Topic: 7Gh/s ... NMC or BTC ... or BTC pool hopping? - page 2. (Read 5302 times)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
You can rationalize your theft all you want.

You aren't putting in 15% more effort to find blocks, but you'll happily walk away with 15% more pay.

Mining namecoins for a few days is different. You're mining something more profitable. You're not stealing from anyone.
When you pool hop, you steal from the other pool members, who make less money than they *should* because of your "optimizations".

That's cheating, and stealing.

It's nice to know the next generation doesn't have any morals.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Anusgelus doesn't know how to pool hop, so he will tell everyone to avoid doing it because it doesn't benefit him.  He will scare you into stop mining though.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
You know, pool hopping is cheating, plain and simple.

You're stealing from the honest miners who participate in those pools.

Pools are a zero-sum game. Your gain is someone else's loss. And since you haven't done anything positive to help find a block -- quite the opposite -- you're stealing the extra, not earning it.

And don't tell me you're using "math skills" to earn more money -- thieves and con men work at their trade as well. It's still theft.

Matthew

Troll spotted. You sir are wrong. Pool hopping is a practical solution to earn more bitcoins. Now of course it only works if only a minority of people do it, but if you gain something from it, good for you.

I think you know that and you are pool hopping yourself while trying to convince others not to do it so it's more profitable for you.

This. There is nothing wrong with maximizing your profits.
Activity: 123

Pools are a zero-sum game. Your gain is someone else's loss. And since you haven't done anything positive to help find a block -- quite the opposite -- you're stealing the extra, not earning it.

And don't tell me you're using "math skills" to earn more money -- thieves and con men work at their trade as well. It's still theft.

Matthew

Troll spotted. You sir are wrong. Pool hopping is a practical solution to earn more bitcoins. Now of course it only works if only a minority of people do it, but if you gain something from it, good for you.

I think you know that and you are pool hopping yourself while trying to convince others not to do it so it's more profitable for you.
Activity: 154

Matthew

It is no more stealing than switching from BTC to namecoin mining during the subsidized periods.  It's extra effort, analysis and development relative to firing up a miner and forgetting about it.

Non-proportional pools are optimized to avoid pool hopping.  Some proportional pools are optimized to promote pool hopping, others have various barriers to discourage it.

Expect people do what is in their best interest in a free market on average.  Expecting anything else is not rational.
Activity: 224
Pool hopping is based on the premise of avoiding "blocks of death", those 3+ hour sessions which have the same payout as 10 minute ones.

You abandon a pool to switch to the "freshest" block when it reaches 43.5% (or thereabouts).  If the solution is found before then or shortly after, great.  You get your full share.  If the solution is found several hours after that, great, you've received a minimum of 43.5% for a disproportionately short participation.  Meanwhile you've likely participated in several short blocks in other pools.

How do you know when a pool reaches 43.5% (or any %) since block solution is random?
Activity: 392
Merit: 250

Matthew
Activity: 154
Pool hopping is based on the premise of avoiding "blocks of death", those 3+ hour sessions which have the same payout as 10 minute ones.

You abandon a pool to switch to the "freshest" block when it reaches 43.5% (or thereabouts).  If the solution is found before then or shortly after, great.  You get your full share.  If the solution is found several hours after that, great, you've received a minimum of 43.5% for a disproportionately short participation.  Meanwhile you've likely participated in several short blocks in other pools.

I'm unsure but I think the pay for last share pools increase the payout of this strategy over and above simple hopping from proportional pools.

In other words, it has NOTHING to do with connection reliability (you can run more than one miner per GPU each in a different pool if you want that) and everything to do with collecting more than your share for work submitted.
Activity: 126
difficulty went back up on namecoin. I wouldn't pool hop, but I would setup different miners on your cards pointed at different pools so you can get the most up time.
Activity: 224
Have read some of the threads regarding NMC mining > BTC mining.  Is that still true or did the difficulty factor skyrocket and end the party?

Have also read about BTC pool hopping.  Not clear on how that nets you any gain.  If you leave a pool you have fewer shares for the round and hence make less.  Is there a loophole in how shares are calculated that would let you benefit from having few shares in many pools = more than all your shares from one?
Pages:
Jump to: