Pages:
Author

Topic: A comma or full stop in address - page 2. (Read 1320 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
August 14, 2016, 06:41:34 AM
Recently I was required to send money to someone.He gave me his bitcoin address which I copied without knowing that I also copied the comma with btc address like 123avghhhfhhjjjjjjj,I pasted it exactly same in senders address and logged out of my online wallet.I was sure I did everything right and recipient must have gotten his money.I got shocked when the receipient informed me that he didn't receive the coins even after 1 hour.
I logged in back and see the transaction failed and my coins were back in my wallet.
I realized my mistake, removed comma from address and sent coin again.
I assume if wallet address is more than prescribed characters,it becomes invalid.Right?
Have you any have similar experiences?

I just checked the coinbase web client and when I put a bitcoin address with a comma at the end it informs me that "Please enter a valid email or Bitcoin address" so I don't know about your bitcoin client but it should warn you at least!
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
August 14, 2016, 06:30:30 AM
I use Bitcoin core, and if I enter a wrong address (wrong in the way of there are unsupported characters in the address), then my wallet notifies me that there something is wrong by making the [send to] bar red. Easy to understand and very noticeable warning.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1019
August 14, 2016, 06:18:58 AM
I assume if wallet address is more than prescribed characters,it becomes invalid.Right?
This depends on software you use for bitcoin transactions.
"Good" wallets must inform you about wrong address immidiately.
Activity: 798
Merit: 501
August 14, 2016, 06:15:20 AM
Recently I was required to send money to someone.He gave me his bitcoin address which I copied without knowing that I also copied the comma with btc address like 123avghhhfhhjjjjjjj,I pasted it exactly same in senders address and logged out of my online wallet.I was sure I did everything right and recipient must have gotten his money.I got shocked when the receipient informed me that he didn't receive the coins even after 1 hour.
I logged in back and see the transaction failed and my coins were back in my wallet.

of course no, because it's quite impossible any comma or special characters inside a btc address.
probably you or "someone" made a mistake by copying address with special character ",".
next time before you copy just ask again, because a "," could be another important letter "mM" "kK" "lL" (EU keyboard)
legendary
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
August 14, 2016, 06:02:43 AM
Pages:
Jump to: