Pages:
Author

Topic: A crash Brexit looms over the UK - page 2. (Read 317 times)

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049
┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴
October 05, 2019, 08:19:16 AM
Shortages, hours of queues at customs, economic uncertainty, jobs going elsewere... are you sure this is what the British voted for?
(I am aware this is a clickbait for Jetcash  Grin)

Either way this is good for Bitcoin.. On the subject of the "no plane will fly, no fish will be eaten"..etc this is what the UK could very well do if things don't go exactly their way. It's in the realm of possibility but unlikely - media will always go for the extreme.

It'll have been a very well orchestrated dump & pump, watch values soar after..
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
October 02, 2019, 11:29:28 AM
Europe is a very diverse continent, and one shouldn't forget that Russia is a country that is within the geographic definition of Europe. The European Union was a flawed concept from the very beginning, and it was obvious to all that such diversity didn't lend itself to a single currency or a common economic or political policy. One should also remember that before the UK was sucked into the EU by political deceit, and not by any electoral agreement, the UK was heavily invested in various projects around the world. Following the predations of the EU. it is now reduced to begging other countries for investment.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
October 01, 2019, 06:24:44 PM

London effectively subsidizes the rest of the UK,

You need to differentiate between Greater London, and the City of London

Does not change the argument at all.

I'm not completely sure on this but historically, doesn't the majority of money into London come from outside of Europe? From looking at the last financial crash, a $700 billion insurance company which served credit default insurance to the UK and US (and a few of the US banks went bankrupt because of it).

The depreciation in the value of sterling i'd agree is probably due to more to the uncertaincy over brexit and not a direct impact. There were also articles scaring people out of investing into the UK by adding clickbait headlines of "the UK will go into recession if they vote to leave the EU" (which didn't happen but probably scared people from investing anywhere near the country after the vote had been declared). And if you look at the data, we were already in a downtrend to start with. In 2013 the pound was at $1.70, in 2015 it had reached $1.50, brexit may have amplified things but I'm not sure it provided the activation needed.
I think we should all at least be in favour of keeping healthy diploamtic relationships with the rest of the world and helpiing the european governments (where necessary) in security and privacy protections (as was done with GDPR).

Europe is a lot different from the USA, I don't think the continent can be joined into one huge supercountry, and if it can, I don't think it benefits from the UK being a part of it.

As I see it, and I was thinking about this before, the biggest issue we have was probably the Queen not assessing if the UK government had a clear strategy for leaving the EU (because it clearly didn't) she has successfully blocked things parliament wanted to put through in the past (such as the ability for them to declare war) so I don't see why they wouldn't have put more scrutiny into the details of what was going to happen once article 50 was triggered.

The UK is still pretty strong as a country and as one of the "financial capitals" and a place where large quantities of investments are placed into housing... 
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1575
Do not die for Putin
September 24, 2019, 12:54:54 PM

You need to differentiate between Greater London, and the City of London

Does not change the argument at all.

It is fashionable to blame everything onto Brexit, but the reality is that since the referendum, Britain has been growing at a faster pace than the EU

Update on that https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-economic-growth-higher-europe/

In brief

Claim
UK GDP growth in the second quarter of 2018 was 0.4%. In the Eurozone it was 0.3%.

Conclusion
This was correct when the claim was made earlier in August, but the figures have since been revised, with both the UK and Eurozone growing at 0.4% in the second quarter. Growth in the EU and the Eurozone is higher in the previous 12 months than the UK. It’s projected to stay that way.

BTW, part of the problems in Europe are the uncertainty created by Brexit. Once that clears out this different will be even larger, at least for several years.
legendary
September 24, 2019, 05:45:21 AM

You need to differentiate between Greater London, and the City of London - they are effectively in two different countries. Also remember that the UK is a dual currency nation - both Sterling and the Euro are used for trading and financial transactions.

In my opinion, the demise of Thomas Cook was the result of a number of factors other than Brexit. Excessive debt reducing retail spending is probably the greatest of these. Bad management is another, and the £43 million fat car payments just before the crash probably didn't help. It is fashionable to blame everything onto Brexit, but the reality is that since the referendum, Britain has been growing at a faster pace than the EU
legendary
Do not die for Putin
September 24, 2019, 04:31:10 AM

That is a respectable opinion, wrong as it maybe. As of now, a weaker pound is the last resource of a fail in productivity. Long term... who knows.

However, there is a question that Brexiters just cannot seem to answer: What do we do with the Good Friday Agreements and when. This is not "opinion" nor FUD, this is an international treaty that needs to be respected.

... I don't know how this is going to reflect in the London economy.

Ask Thomas Cook how they liked a weaker pound and how good is it for the economy.

London effectively subsidizes the rest of the UK, so all those that think that harming the financial sector is going to make a stronger country will have their hands full posting denial arguments. The financial industry thrives on certainty, effective government and stable frameworks. The weakness in the pound is a reflection of a loss in competiveness because certainty is a competitive advantage for UKs financial sector.
legendary
September 24, 2019, 03:05:25 AM
The Brexit process has yet to be started. Three years ago the Deep State remainer Theresa May dedicated herself to reversing the result of the referendum. The exit procedure called for a two year trade negotiating interval following the exit. These negotiations have never been started by the government, and this is why we have the so called " cliff edge ", it isn't the Brexit itself that will cause the problems to the UK. Obviously the loss of the British cash cow will cause problems for the EU. It is my opinion that the City of London has given up on the EU, and is prepared to shove it under a bus, and they are now working on an expanded British Commonwealth which will include the US. This was the dream of Cecil Rhodes, and several UK prime ministers have been working towards this.

The drop in Sterling is good news for the UK. China deliberately kept the value of the Renminbi low by buying US and other world assets, and the sanctions on Russia which cause the devaluation of the Ruble, help in its recent economic growth. Trump has stated that the US dollar is over valued, and one of the reasons for the creation of the Euro was to avoid the revaluation of the German currency. Don't believe all of the FUD in the mass media, Britain will be a much stronger country once it has escaped the overt controls of the EU. Now we need to see if it can escape from the control of the City of London ( the unelected EU bosses ).
Activity: 1302
Merit: 25
September 23, 2019, 01:18:12 PM

I do not know where you look for reliable information, but if you take a look at the value of the pound (a fact, not an opinion) you may start to understand the general direction of travel. This does not look anything like what was promise....

I think the pounds really has gone down in value to the US$ as many forex traders are selling off the pounds because of the uncertainty. The brexit that started about two years ago has seen the exit of Theresa May recently and Boris now in the paddle but price of pounds has not stopped to fall. I don't know how this is going to reflect in the London economy.
legendary
Do not die for Putin
September 21, 2019, 06:04:50 PM

I do not know where you look for reliable information, but if you take a look at the value of the pound (a fact, not an opinion) you may start to understand the general direction of travel. This does not look anything like what was promised and the people should have a say.

I do not know either where you read about the rest of the stuff and I would rather not comment on your culinary preferences, probably damaged beyond any hope of repair by a continuous abuse of full English breakfasts, epically ingested in support of UK beans producers.
legendary
September 21, 2019, 03:40:54 AM
I took the bait, and your comment is complete rubbish.

Don't forgert that London is the major financial centre of the world ( ahead of New York ) and I believe that 85% of the EU derivatives trade passes through London, and the interest rates are based on LIBOR. It's no wonder that the EU is in a panic. With the promise of a clean exit from the EU, the UK economy is growing at a faster rate than the moribund EU. It's really a load of tosh though, because the Anglophone empire that grew out of the old British Empire now controls Washington, Westminster and the EU.

When we voted to leave, we were told of the conditions, and that it would be a separation with temporary continuity for two years whilst new treaties were arranged. None of this happened, and the treasonous May did everything she could to reverse the results of the referendum, and continued to feed the EU money sink.

Just read the rubbish that the mass media prints, and you will realise how stupid remainers are

- No planes will fly after Brexit - Britain has the largest air space in the EU. If they try to restrict UK air traffic. then it will cost EU air lines millions to fly around British air space.

- We won't be able to buy fish. British waters are fished by European fishermen, and we only have a small fishing fleet after the EU forced us to burn our boats following membership. We will have loads of fish if we just fish our own waters, and stop buying our fish from the Europeans.

- Farmers won't be able to sell their meat, and we won't be able to buy meat in the supermarkets. The obvious solution is for us to eat our own meat. Britain has higher food standards than the EU, and this is why the meat is exported, and the gullible British public buy inferior EU products through European supermarket chains like Lidl and Aldi.

There are loads more topics like this, such as the fact that we were forced to burn out lovely traditional apple trees, and now the supermarkets push French pap instead of traditional Cox and Bramley apples. I'm lucky as I've just been given a load of free "Sops in Wine" apples by a Somerset farmer. I'm also buying Somerset brie rather than French brie. It's about the same price, and far better than the tasteless volume produced stuff tht we import.
legendary
Do not die for Putin
September 20, 2019, 07:01:38 PM
Shortages, hours of queues at customs, economic uncertainty, jobs going elsewere... are you sure this is what the British voted for?
(I am aware this is a clickbait for Jetcash  Grin)
Pages:
Jump to: