Pages:
Author

Topic: A guide for mining efficiently on P2Pool, includes FUD repellent and FAQ - page 11. (Read 174849 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
I always find it weird how my P2Pool hashrate keeps fluctuating even in idle, sometimes reaching as high as 280Mh/s or dropping as low as 110Mh/s. I have my miner set up as recommended for my card. Is there anything I can do about it or is this not the miner/setup's fault and rather p2pool's?

This is a question for the main P2Pool thread.
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
Do you like fire? I'm full of it.
I always find it weird how my P2Pool hashrate keeps fluctuating even in idle, sometimes reaching as high as 280Mh/s or dropping as low as 110Mh/s. I have my miner set up as recommended for my card. Is there anything I can do about it or is this not the miner/setup's fault and rather p2pool's?
With bfgminer: does --dyn-gpuinterval override --intensity? Is dyngpu the equivalent of saying "i want my desktop to have no less than 1000/ frames per second"? I set the option to the recommended 50 and it felt like everything onscreen was lagging. Intuitively I put it at 20fps and figured out it may be that. So then I changed the interval to 16(which is the rounded result for 60fps) and everything went back to normal. How does this impact my mining though?

The lower dyn-gpuinterval is, the more often your system must submit work to the GPU. There is a performance penalty but it depends on your actual setup (GPU performance, CPU speed, system load, OS, ...), you'll have to let it run for a while undisturbed and check the hashrate averages to see at which point it becomes noticeable for you.
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
Do you like fire? I'm full of it.
With bfgminer: does --dyn-gpuinterval override --intensity? Is dyngpu the equivalent of saying "i want my desktop to have no less than 1000/ frames per second"? I set the option to the recommended 50 and it felt like everything onscreen was lagging. Intuitively I put it at 20fps and figured out it may be that. So then I changed the interval to 16(which is the rounded result for 60fps) and everything went back to normal. How does this impact my mining though?
dead link
Fixed, the forum doesn't like quotes around an URL?!
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
You should probably ask questions about errors in log in the P2Pool thread
legendary
no, no litecoin here, how can i run the 3.1 without the error, saying that i have a old version?
zvs
legendary
Activity: 1680
https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com
hopefully, i'm fine without tweaking anything, 121 efficiency here, but it still say orphaned 0, is this a problem?
another problem is that the last version of p2pool don't work for me, it say:"error bitcoin version to old, upgrade to 0.5 or newer!", but i have already 0.8.1 version...

btw, i'm mining the same amount of BTC guild for now, i hope i can make more

litecoin?  it said the same thing to me when i spent some time with the litecoin p2pool.  i just removed the thing about upgrading from the source
legendary
hopefully, i'm fine without tweaking anything, 121 efficiency here, but it still say orphaned 0, is this a problem?
another problem is that the last version of p2pool don't work for me, it say:"error bitcoin version to old, upgrade to 0.5 or newer!", but i have already 0.8.1 version...

btw, i'm mining the same amount of BTC guild for now, i hope i can make more
Updated guide: --failover-only recommended.
p2pool is effectively a different block chain and cgminer stores a database of blocks as they come out so it would confuse it to run p2pool and regular btc mining. Provided p2pool is the primary pool, and you set failover-only it still should be okay.

It seems it works fine without failover-only and the latest cgminer versions on my setup: as long as the P2Pool node is fast enough I guess you don't need failover-only (it may be a worthwhile precaution to add it though).
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
p2pool is effectively a different block chain and cgminer stores a database of blocks as they come out so it would confuse it to run p2pool and regular btc mining. Provided p2pool is the primary pool, and you set failover-only it still should be okay.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001
Great! I think I'm going to try p2pool this weekend and keep Eligius as my backup.

Interesting that you mentioned merged mining because I just asked this question on StackExchange today too:
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/9999/merged-mining-disadvantages

Note: if you use cgminer, and probably bfgminer, you don't want to mix p2pool and "conventional" pools.  They don't mix well.

M

They do. I've seen my rigs fallback to backup pools without problems when I stopped my p2pool node on numerous occasions.

I'm just going by what the cgminer authors have said.  cgminer goes into different logic for p2pool than it does for conventional pools.  I believe the words were "do so at your own risk".

M
Great! I think I'm going to try p2pool this weekend and keep Eligius as my backup.

Interesting that you mentioned merged mining because I just asked this question on StackExchange today too:

Note: if you use cgminer, and probably bfgminer, you don't want to mix p2pool and "conventional" pools.  They don't mix well.

M

They do. I've seen my rigs fallback to backup pools without problems when I stopped my p2pool node on numerous occasions.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
hmmm, can you elaborate? if my p2pool process falls over what will behave differently with my backup server? I know that I lowered my queue and thread count slightly, but inefficient hashing is better than downtime, right? TIA.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

M
Activity: 37
Merit: 0

This a great guide - thanks!

I have a couple of questions.

This thread, and others, have said:
The mathematical fact still remains that a well tuned p2pool will out pay any other pool. In fact, it will approach solo mining.

I'm new to bitcoin (as my rep will tell you), but I understand the concept of luck and variance. How specifically does p2pool "out pay" others? I currently mine on a no-fee (keep trans fees) PPLNS pool. My analysis shows that the trans fees are ~1% so p2pool will out pay there. How else? Is there some sort of reduced latency bonus? Or just a "no-downtime" gain? I read somewhere that >100% efficiencies are "stealing" somehow gaining from others with low pool efficiency by getting their hash power but not always giving credit -- or something.

Among p2pool users there's indeed a competition for the best efficiency. It shouldn't be a problem though: people with really bad efficiency unable to make it better shouldn't mine on p2pool leaving only the most efficient ones (which will bring them closer to 100% efficiency). This is assuming their goal is maximum rewards, you can mine on p2pool for other reasons (you like the concept or find it a better solution for Bitcoin's overall health/robustness).

The advantage of p2pool vs classic pools is stated in the guide: it should have less orphans than classic pools because it's better connected to the Bitcoin network and thus should propagate blocks faster (this is a theoretical advantage, I'm not aware of anyone having measured it).

One thing I didn't write yet is the ability of merged mining. If you have moderately high hashpower (currently ~5GH/s) it should bring you additional coins. Namecoin has been between 5 and 13% as profitable as Bitcoin recently, being able to merge-mine it (Devcoin and Ixcoin are possible too) is an additional bonus. For example I set NMC merged-mining up early just to tinker with it (it wasn't really worth my time) and found a quite nice surprise when looking at my NMC wallet last month: 1000+ NMC where waiting there...

Also, this guide mentions using:
Code:
-Q 0 -g 1 --intensity d --gpu-dyninterval 50
Can you elaborate? the -g sets the miner to a single thread (opposed to 3 on my machine). Isn't that going to reduce my hashrate?

It depends on your setup, but I didn't measure any speedup with -g 2 on mine. The higher the number of threads and the higher your latency is, so if it doesn't bring any measurable benefit, you should keep it down.

I'm not sure about --gpu-dyninterval default value but the goal is to keep the GPU latency low without sacrificing too much hashrate. I've measured a ~0.3% lower hashrate when going from 250ms to 50ms but the amount of stales/doa was much lower too. Going lower was eating too much hashrate and I believe 50ms to be much lower than most people latencies with the P2Pool network.

These are good starting point, but if you want to grab a 1% worth of Bitcoin more you might want to study the impact of modifying them by comparing the * (which is what matters for your p2pool's income) value for long runs (at least 24h).

the -Q 0 seems inefficient too
This is what is advised by p2pool. It seemed inefficient to me too, but I couldn't measure any impact vs -Q 1.

Finally, how is difficultly handled? Hosted pools can auto-adjust this "magically". How can I tell what I should set mine to (or leave it at) and how do I do it?

Difficulty is auto-adjusted automatically so that your miners keep submitting ~1 share every second (to avoid too much traffic and load and still get a good estimate of your hashrate).
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
Which fee free PPS pool is that? Are there any left? Mining at a fee-free PPS pool might cost less now, but the risks of the pool failing are high so the cost may be more than you imagine.

Eligius - It's actually CPPSRB - Capped Pay Per Share with Recent Backpay

I understand the value of p2pool but I don't think that a failing pool is all that costly. If you have a failover you shouldn't have any issues when the primary is down. Worst case is that you'd lose out on anything that wasn't distributed to you yet - hopefully < 0.2

Yes, Eligius is not actually a PPS pool and so my comments don't really apply to it. In general however, I was referring to the risks PPS pools take and the chances of them going into bankruptcy owing you coins. That is costly and has happened, and has more of a chance happening in a fee-free PPS pool, since a long negative buffer will probably wipe them out.

Pages:
Jump to: