Pages:
Author

Topic: A letter from Avalon - page 3. (Read 6317 times)

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000
Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com
February 13, 2013, 06:15:49 AM
Really??? This is news to me. I've had a partial payment open with then, and have received ZERO replies to my Avalon support ticket nor emails. Seriously guys you have like 100-200 people to respond to, 1 day should be plenty to handle this.

All partially paid orders from 2012-02-02 have a deadline of 2013-02-13 17:00 EST to complete payment. All orders which have not been paid in full will be refunded to the sending address unless otherwise instructed. Payment instructions can be obtained and return addresses can be given to WalletBit support at http://support.walletbit.com.

Please contact WalletBit support immediately.

How does that help? I've sent you emails, opened support tickets and sent you multiple PMs only to receive no response.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
February 13, 2013, 02:05:13 AM
Really??? This is news to me. I've had a partial payment open with then, and have received ZERO replies to my Avalon support ticket nor emails. Seriously guys you have like 100-200 people to respond to, 1 day should be plenty to handle this.

All partially paid orders from 2012-02-02 have a deadline of 2013-02-13 17:00 EST to complete payment. All orders which have not been paid in full will be refunded to the sending address unless otherwise instructed. Payment instructions can be obtained and return addresses can be given to WalletBit support at http://support.walletbit.com.

Please contact WalletBit support immediately.
Activity: 209
Merit: 101
FUTURE OF CRYPTO IS HERE!
February 13, 2013, 02:02:05 AM
We would like to take this time to warn you not to use Bitcoin addresses that you do not own, including but not limited to the following: InstaWallet, exchanges such as MtGox and others.... By using third party systems such as the ones listed above however, you give up the control of your own coins.... This defeats the purpose of Bitcoin.

When thinking philosophically what is the fundamental difference that when buyers are using 3rd party systems like MtGox it is wrong and defeats the purpose of bitcoin, but when seller uses 3rd party systems like WalletBit it is great?

When thinking practically what is the fundamental difference that when buyers are using 3rd party systems like MtGox and in doing so stumble onto a minor inconvenience that prevents Avalon from choosing one from a group of several possible avenues of action demanding that suddenly bitcoin network transactions work in a way it was never intended to work it is a huge problem, but when a seller is uses a 3rd party system like WalletBit and it completely fucks up the whole process because of incompetence in the 3rd party system implementation and from Avalon in the selection and evaluation process of choosing the 3rd party system it is actually hugely good thing for which Avalon should be praised for?
legendary
Activity: 1153
February 13, 2013, 01:15:22 AM
We have ultimately decided not to refund the 0.05-bitcoin partial orders that have resulted from a series of errors, and allowed customers to complete their transactions out of good faith as many used third party services where refunds were not possible.

We would like to take this time to warn you not to use Bitcoin addresses that you do not own, including but not limited to the following: InstaWallet, exchanges such as MtGox and others.

The nature of Bitcoin makes it separate from human interference and devoid of an centralized architecture. If the order database has been incomplete or compromised, then a fail-safe could be utilized to refund every transaction to their original input address. By using third party systems such as the ones listed above however, you give up the control of your own coins, and you then run the risk of your refunds returning to their input addresses. This defeats the purpose of Bitcoin. You will also not be able to prove original ownership of these coins. Our terms of sale will be updated to reflect this before batch two re-opens for the remainder 300+ units.

The arrogence coupled with the outright misunderstanding of bitcoin here is absolutely astounding.

Bitcoin absolutely does NOT have the concept of a "from" address. It is perfectly valid to pay a merchant using a transfer from InstaWallet, etc. To say otherwise is absured. Relying on from addresses for your mechant website is a problem on the merchant's side, not on the customers side.

I'm begining to believe Avalon does not have the competency to develop a working ASIC with good enough yields, if this is their childish attitude and they can't follow-up with a mere 100 customers...
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
February 12, 2013, 11:41:39 PM
The Avalon team would like to apologize, first and foremost, for the poor performance that you may have experienced during the sales of batch two of the Avalon units.

And after only a week of letting customers squirm in a pit of FUD?  You're too kind!

"Somebody had to be the first person to eat a crab."

Avalon is the first company to use a 'shopping cart' on the 'internet?'  No wonder there were so many unforeseeable problems; it was simply destined to be a giant fiasco.

We switch payment gateway and eCommerce solution each batch of orders

What on earth persuaded you to switch from a working solution to a WordPress hack?

we at Avalon however are not playing any favorites.

No favorites.  Except JG and the BF.  Got it.  Seems legit.

We have ultimately decided not to refund the 0.05-bitcoin partial orders that have resulted from a series of errors

Scams usually don't refund orders either.

We would like to take this time to warn you not to use Bitcoin addresses that you do not own, including but not limited to the following: InstaWallet, exchanges such as MtGox and others.

A little late for that, isn't it?

The nature of Bitcoin makes it separate from human interference and devoid of an centralized architecture. If the order database has been incomplete or compromised, then a fail-safe could be utilized to refund every transaction to their original input address. By using third party systems such as the ones listed above however, you give up the control of your own coins, and you then run the risk of your refunds returning to their input addresses. This defeats the purpose of Bitcoin. You will also not be able to prove original ownership of these coins. Our terms of sale will be updated to reflect this before batch two re-opens for the remainder 300+ units.

Blah blah blah techno babble excuses makes customers liable for Avalon's mistakes.  Because Bitcoin.  And standing on Principle.

once they and other higher-priority matter are addressed and done, we will then reopen order for batch two.

IOW, we still don't have our act together.

We do not have a date for reopening orders on batch two.

legendary
Activity: 1512
@theshmadz
February 12, 2013, 11:07:23 PM

When will this madness end?

Bitcoin transactions do not have the concept of a "from" address.

A few services like SatoshiDICE, BitLotto, etc. send winnings to an address that was used as an input in the wager and there are regularly occurring new reports of people losing their wagers by sending from Mt. Gox or other hosted (shared) EWallet service.

This practice should not be adopted by merchants and payment processors.   Bitcoin has no concept of a from address.  Please don't proceed with any approach that assumes that there is.

Mister Gornick, could you please elaborate or link an explanation of this? I was recently trying to seach on this subject and came up empty.

if I send bitcoins, how do I prove that these bitcoins came from me?

many thanks to anyone who can solve this riddle for me (and if I can successfully figure this out, perhaps a small ((very small, I'm bitcoin broke atm)) donation Smiley

thanks in advance

--shmadz
Activity: 254
Merit: 250
February 12, 2013, 11:04:02 PM
Wait...

They had time to compose and send out this letter, but they don't have time to send out order confirmations to a mere 200 people?

I want my 75 btc back.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
February 12, 2013, 10:27:13 PM
Thank you for the update.  No news in good news.   We just need to sit back and let them get units produced. 
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
February 12, 2013, 09:42:02 PM
Call me nuts, but the letter copy was too well written, perhaps penned to dwarf recent concerns. Now, I'm curious as to who wrote it, and if that person is part of Team Avalon or some paid entity.

Most of what has been written by the two top dawgs of Avalon, including their above par website, doesn't even come close to this quality copy.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
February 12, 2013, 09:40:57 PM
It would be nice if Batch1 got some communication too. When batch one had ordering snafus it was much more responsive. I knows it's a small group and that the effort is on making and shipping but I'm sure someone could spend a few minutes keeping the customers updated rather than feeding the trolls here and taunting Kano or Inaba. I'm sure you'd get volunteers to help if you needed it.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
February 12, 2013, 09:37:30 PM

When will this madness end?

Bitcoin transactions do not have the concept of a "from" address.

A few services like SatoshiDICE, BitLotto, etc. send winnings to an address that was used as an input in the wager and there are regularly occurring new reports of people losing their wagers by sending from Mt. Gox or other hosted (shared) EWallet service.

This practice should not be adopted by merchants and payment processors.   Bitcoin has no concept of a from address.  Please don't proceed with any approach that assumes that there is.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003
February 12, 2013, 09:25:59 PM
Activity: 45
Merit: 10
February 12, 2013, 09:23:00 PM
They are skipping about the address space to avoid tax and customs...

Please forgive my ignorance, what does "skipping about the address space" mean?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
February 12, 2013, 08:52:20 PM
They are skipping about the address space to avoid tax and customs... and it is going to end badly if they continue like this.
Gone are the days of inept Chinese customs departments and lazy officials.

Chinese Customs has been honed into a highly efficient machine, designed to deal with and recognize Technology and smuggling operations.(they deal with it every hour of the day.. both in and out of China)
The staff are highly technical with a computer infrastructure to match...,once they have both eyes open, they come down on you in a matter of days....

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
February 12, 2013, 08:38:07 PM
Part of me is upset i did not buy an asic to mess with. Another part of me is glad i avoided this fucking drama.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
February 12, 2013, 08:33:29 PM
a Letter from the Avalon Team

The Avalon team would like to apologize, first and foremost, for the poor performance that you may have experienced during the sales of batch two of the Avalon units.

This type of incident has however, been accounted for and is within our expectations. As Bitcoin payment processors and merchant solutions are still a relatively young field, much like the Avalon project itself - issues such as these will, unfortunately, show themselves in a real world situation.

There's a saying: "Somebody had to be the first person to eat a crab."

Avalon has been bestowed with an unique opportunity to give several different Bitcoin payment processors a real world stress test: a DDoS-like shopping experience. We switch payment gateway and eCommerce solution each batch of orders to promote both decentralization and competition. In batch one, we worked closely with Paysius to hammer out its issues. This has not been any different with batch two and WalletBit. The lead developer of WalletBit, Kris, has been hard at work within the past several days, fixing the kind of issues that have only appeared from this type of real world situation.

This event and your brief inconvenience as Avalon customers right now will ensure that, in the future when a client ( who may not be technically-knowledgeable ) use these various Bitcoin payment processors and eCommerce solutions to accept Bitcoin for the first time, their experiences will be much more smooth and hassle-free.

"May they enjoy the coming delicious crabs."

A third purpose of this movement is to spread recognition and funding to those services that are less well known; we at Avalon however are not playing any favorites. BitPay, for example, has been chosen as the payment gateway for batch three long before they obtained investor funding. We believe that competition breeds innovation - much like what happened in the ASIC market - and we can not wait to see what new features will result from this process. We view Bitcoin merchant solutions and payment gateways as an important part of Bitcoin adoption.

Batch two situation

We have ultimately decided not to refund the 0.05-bitcoin partial orders that have resulted from a series of errors, and allowed customers to complete their transactions out of good faith as many used third party services where refunds were not possible. We would like to take this time to warn you not to use Bitcoin addresses that you do not own, including but not limited to the following: InstaWallet, exchanges such as MtGox and others.

We have also collected enough money for several parts with long lead times, and these are being ordered now. Consequently, our attention will be diverted to these parts for the moment, and once they and other higher-priority matter are addressed and done, we will then reopen order for batch two. We are currently not in a rush to collect money.

Support situation

The Avalon team is comprised of a small group of capable people; however, we are also extremely limited in manpower. Every one of us handles multitude of tasks, and for this reason we will have very limited customer support. This means that you will not hear from us regarding your order until the day prior of it being loaded onto a plane heading to your country of destination. No news is good news. We apologize for this, and we do not expect this situation to change until batch three is in its production to shipping stage.

Our number one focus right now and always have been delivery time; everything else is considered a secondary bonus. Avalon was turned from a idea into a physical working product in less than six month because of our devotion and focus, and we have received industry attention for it. Avalon do not intent to deviate from this even as we now face a greater amount of endeavors ahead, such as working on next-generation designs and scaling production upwards. All of these are happening in parallel with our current list of to-be-completed tasks.

tl;dr; We do not have a date for reopening orders on batch two.

Is it just me, or are there no grammatical errors in this excellently written copy? I believe this was not written by one of the top two Avalon guys, though believe it did come from their camp.
legendary
Activity: 1176
February 12, 2013, 07:30:48 PM
I just got the email also.. These days you dont know who is telling the truth on this forum. Sorry about that.
Don't worry at all. I always post what I receive and I always have someone complaining about the source Smiley
legendary
Activity: 889
Bitcoin calls me an Orphan
February 12, 2013, 07:24:39 PM

Just wondering.. why would you get said letter and why wouldn't this be posted by Avalon themselves?

I could have missed something.. why im asking.
I simply reported here what I received on my inbox. Standard practice. Other will confirm that I'm not trolling you, if you feel that there is that possibility.

No update from the 53 units that had the best chance to pass trought the Chinese border, someone must have eaten them.

I just got the email also.. These days you dont know who is telling the truth on this forum. Sorry about that.
Activity: 297
Merit: 250
February 12, 2013, 07:23:50 PM
any DHL updates?  I know people were calling and asking if there were any inbound packages to their zip code/name etc.
legendary
Activity: 1176
February 12, 2013, 07:12:12 PM

Just wondering.. why would you get said letter and why wouldn't this be posted by Avalon themselves?

I could have missed something.. why im asking.
I simply reported here what I received on my inbox. Standard practice. Other will confirm that I'm not trolling you, if you feel that there is that possibility.

No update from the 53 units that had the best chance to pass trought the Chinese border, someone must have eaten them.
Pages:
Jump to: