Pages:
Author

Topic: Adblock Plus censoring posts - page 3. (Read 5861 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 254
May 27, 2013, 02:51:16 AM
I don't think it's visible yet, theymos said next ad round.

Makes sense.  Wouldn't be fair to make a new way to disable ads halfway through the round, if the advertisers didn't know that was the deal.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
May 27, 2013, 02:25:07 AM
Forum ads != what people put in their signature.

It is ok, I will just go on slandering your name as the ad writer, and pirate 2.
vip
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043
👻
May 27, 2013, 02:44:17 AM
I don't think it's visible yet, theymos said next ad round.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
May 27, 2013, 02:40:25 AM
EasyList Maintainer and Ad Blocker Plus if your reading this put up a bitcoin donation address and I will make sure you guys are well taken care as long I as see no ads on this forum Wink
So just check the box in your profile to disable them...

I don't see any check box for ads
It's in forum profile under "Bitcoin address". As a hero member you should see it.
legendary
May 27, 2013, 02:22:37 AM
You did not say in general. Specially, you were referring to my / the BFL ads.

Yet you accept slander for ads

Oh no did I slander you... Dude we know you wrote them you paying for other people's forum signatures, who else could it be. Jed? LMAO
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
May 27, 2013, 02:29:44 AM
EasyList Maintainer and Ad Blocker Plus if your reading this put up a bitcoin donation address and I will make sure you guys are well taken care as long I as see no ads on this forum Wink
So just check the box in your profile to disable them...
vip
👻
May 27, 2013, 02:28:32 AM

It is ok, I will just go on slandering your name as the ad writer, and pirate 2.
Sure thing. Now everyone knows how immature you are.
legendary
May 27, 2013, 02:19:03 AM
Show me the bitcointalk.org forum advertisement that said "Ripple is a scam". You can't because I never wrote an ad that says "ripple is a scam" for bitcointalk. When it is in my signature, it's obviously my opinion. Either way, we're pretty off topic by now.

I said in general you just started to defend so I was guessing your the writer. OR am I slandering LMAO

and don't worry this will all be deleted by tomorrow cause the mods can't stand it when real issues are being hammered out and it is a slightly off-topic.
vip
👻
May 27, 2013, 02:24:00 AM
vip
👻
May 27, 2013, 02:20:06 AM
You did not say in general. Specially, you were referring to my / the BFL ads.

Yet you accept slander for ads
legendary
May 27, 2013, 02:04:44 AM
- I'm annoyed that some people seem to think that all websites should just silently "take it" when their ads are blocked, or seek permission from the ABP organization if they want to keep displaying ads. I'm not going to do that. If EasyList wants to block the forum's ads, they're going to have to work for it.
- I'm now very irritated that EasyList maintainers fucked up the forum just to block a few unobtrusive links.

Yet you accept slander for ads, and now your upset over the blocking of those? Really? Come on, as you even said the survival of the forum has nothing to do with ads, so who cares about the slander you let thru and now you have a problem with people blocking them yet you still do it. I would glad turn my ABP off if you didn't allow slander but I am sorry I don't want to be subjected to those LIES and SLANDER!

It's slander to call certain advertisements slander when they are factually correct.

Show me facts,

Ripple is a scam!

isn't a fact. Dude your just one of these people that goes around yelling, hoping someone will listen. I ain't listening nor do I care to debate you on your views.

You slander businesses and people and you should be ashamed. I never respected anyone that couldn't prove their point to people and you have yet to prove anything. I could buy 10 ads and signature and call your "little business" a ponzi scheme. I don't cause I have standards and I don't fight in the dirt.
vip
👻
May 27, 2013, 02:11:13 AM
Show me the bitcointalk.org forum advertisement that said "Ripple is a scam". You can't because I never wrote an ad that says "ripple is a scam" for bitcointalk. When it is in my signature, it's obviously my opinion. Either way, we're pretty off topic by now.
vip
👻
May 27, 2013, 01:58:23 AM
- I'm annoyed that some people seem to think that all websites should just silently "take it" when their ads are blocked, or seek permission from the ABP organization if they want to keep displaying ads. I'm not going to do that. If EasyList wants to block the forum's ads, they're going to have to work for it.
- I'm now very irritated that EasyList maintainers fucked up the forum just to block a few unobtrusive links.

Yet you accept slander for ads, and now your upset over the blocking of those? Really? Come on, as you even said the survival of the forum has nothing to do with ads, so who cares about the slander you let thru and now you have a problem with people blocking them yet you still do it. I would glad turn my ABP off if you didn't allow slander but I am sorry I don't want to be subjected to those LIES and SLANDER!

It's slander to call certain advertisements slander when they are factually correct.
legendary
May 27, 2013, 01:57:11 AM

vip
👻
May 27, 2013, 01:46:07 AM
And what if the JS becomes blocked?

I find this behavior very similar to jailbreaking and Apple's cat and mouse game. Focusing this much effort just to display ads on a forum about an open source cryptocurrency.

I'm pretty sure that the EasyList maintainers are reading these posts, and will keep fighting your measures while causing a percent of users to think the server's fucked up.
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
May 26, 2013, 11:45:43 PM
I came up with a way to cleanly bypass this in Firefox with JavaScript (not yet implemented), but not Chrome yet. Does anyone know how to detect whether ABP blocked a particular element in Chrome using JavaScript?

I would just logout everyone who was detected using adblock.
Try to use the forum while logged out if you prefer to keep ABP on Grin

Too many people would be driven away from the forum if I did that.

I actually don't care about the ads that much. The forum's income is much higher than necessary for its survival, and the ads probably aren't necessary for executing the forum's mission (though they help). But:
- If we're selling ads, I want them to be as effective as possible (without being annoying).
- I want the ad impression stats to be accurate.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
May 26, 2013, 11:32:35 PM
You can also disable adblock plus "override" for non-intrusive ads.  

In the options:
[ ]Allow some non-intrusive advertising [View list] [Read more]

https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads
vip
👻
May 26, 2013, 11:10:59 PM
Did that change? I emailed them a few months ago and they said they require payment.
Kao
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
May 26, 2013, 11:05:42 PM
Do the advertisers pay premium for the anti-ABP code?
Actually, ABP charges money to unblock ads. You have to be considered non intrusive AND pay em.

Jeeez, I'm removing that crap from my browser then

TradeFortress's comment is true but misleading. From what I've read and what the Adblock Plus people say about it, only the really large companies are asked to pay to be added to the list and they still have to meet all the criteria. That still makes it pretty shady but a lot less than just saying that you have to pay to get on that list.
Activity: 616
Merit: 522
May 26, 2013, 07:49:34 PM
I knew this from the beginning of ghostery. I would not touch ghostery with a ten foot poll.

Please research before you use ghostery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostery#History_and_use

(I know this is getting off-topic, but) I couldn't find anything wrong in what you've linked. I know about their GhostRank reporting and I have it disabled, but I think it should be harmless even if enabled. What's wrong with Ghostery?
Pages:
Jump to: