Pages:
Author

Topic: Advice on Raspberry pi hardware for running full BTC node - page 6. (Read 3198 times)

legendary
Activity: 1463
Merit: 1135

trying to run a full node on a rasp pi is basically an exercise in futility.
I'm starting to see why you'd say that. I'd agree that I'm probably over my head with this but I would like to learn more.
Not really, many people do it.
Heck you can even run an entire lightning node on one.
It is not plug & play / as quick and simple as double-clicking an exe and done. But, it's not impossible and a lot of people do.
It just takes a bit more time and effort. It's a good learning experience too.

-Dave
Thanks for the link to the correct file @Carlton Banks!

Sorry to need hand holding all the way through this. That was largely unexpected and perhaps an oversight on my part but if good guidance and patience is available, I'm eager to learn/follow directions and proceed.

I've been trying in vein to install the bitcoin-qt file. I tried
sudo install /file/path/to/bitcoin-qt
cd /file/path/to/bitcoin-qt (as mentioned a few posts above)

How do I install the binary file bitcoin-qt to get core to work?
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange

Just buy a used pc like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-M83-Tiny-PC-computer-i5-4590t-8gb-memory-tested-and-working-10E9000UUS/333436439862?

buy a ssd and run a node in linux.

better yet get this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-M72e-Tiny-Dual-core-i3-3220T-Win7-Linux-12GB-Memory/123997550116?

ask for it in linux os
ask for 500gb hdd
ask for 8gb ram

only 99 dollars
far better then any rasp pi

Not really, many people do it.
Heck you can even run an entire lightning node on one.
It is not plug & play / as quick and simple as double-clicking an exe and done. But, it's not impossible and a lot of people do.
It just takes a bit more time and effort. It's a good learning experience too.

-Dave
Activity: 355
Merit: 276

Just buy a used pc like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-M83-Tiny-PC-computer-i5-4590t-8gb-memory-tested-and-working-10E9000UUS/333436439862?

buy a ssd and run a node in linux.

better yet get this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-M72e-Tiny-Dual-core-i3-3220T-Win7-Linux-12GB-Memory/123997550116?

ask for it in linux os
ask for 500gb hdd
ask for 8gb ram

only 99 dollars
far better then any rasp pi
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
A lot of things aren't working yet properly for Rpi4 since it's so new. Eventually it will get there, but maybe try and get / use an older RPi and see how that works.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
I could not find a file with aarch64 in the filename on https://bitcoin.org/en/download
I have the file bitcoin-0.19.0.1-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz

yeah, x86_64 is Intel/AMD and so will not work

you want https://bitcoincore.org/bin/bitcoin-core-0.19.0.1

for some reason bitcoin.org (apparently) doesn't have the aarch64 build, but maybe that's because bitcoin.org is not the official site. Not sure, no reason they wouldn't host the ARMv8 builds I can think of.
legendary
Am I using the correct files?

for Rpi4, you specifically want the .tar.gz file with the platform "aarch64" in the filename
I could not find a file with aarch64 in the filename on https://bitcoin.org/en/download
I have the file bitcoin-0.19.0.1-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz
If this isn't the correct file, could I please have a link?
legendary

for Rpi4, you specifically want the .tar.gz file with the platform "aarch64" in the filename
legendary
I've downloaded core 0.19.0.1 files and extracted them to my Rpi desktop but I'm having trouble running bitcoin-qt. The readme files point me to run bin/bitcoin-qt but when I click it ask me which application I want to use and gives a list of options that don't seem right.  What do I do to run this or get core setup?  

Looks like you attempt to open the blob/binary of bitcoin-qt. What you should to are :
1. Make sure bitcoin-qt have execute permission (right click bitcoin-qt from your file explorer and see option to make it executable)
2. Try to run it with command

Code:
cd /path/to/your/bitcoin/qt/file
./bitcoin-qt
Didnt work. it says no such file or directory.
I tried with both Linux files from core. Linux (tgz) and ARM Linux file. Both were extracted to a folder on the desktop. Permissions are set to anyone.
legendary
I've downloaded core 0.19.0.1 files and extracted them to my Rpi desktop but I'm having trouble running bitcoin-qt. The readme files point me to run bin/bitcoin-qt but when I click it ask me which application I want to use and gives a list of options that don't seem right.  What do I do to run this or get core setup?  
legendary
the RPi 4 even has a special new disk-over-USB protocol to make SATA work better than it did with the RPi3.

so I got this detail wrong

What we want is a USB SATA caddy that uses the UAS standard (sometimes called UASP, and stands for USB Attached SCSI). This allows the OS to issue ATA commands over the USB interface, which ordinarily USB does not handle.

This gives you:

• the TRIM command, only used with SSD storage
  • improved random IOPS performance, as low level commands sent to the disk can be queued, instead of issued sequentially

The full performance of a direct SATA interface still isn't quite possible, but it's negligible for use with these single-board devices where the CPU is by far the more oft-encountered performance bottleneck.

Bascially, you can ditch the slow unreliable SD card for everything except /boot, and I think in the case of the RPi4 even that partition can be on an SSD and SD cards are entirely unneeded. I was wrong though that only the RPi4 can do this, any RPi should work with a UAS based external disk caddy. You just need an operating system that's new enough to talk UAS (which should be everything modern, it's kind of an old standard that took a long time for manufacturers to support, there aren't many UAS disk caddies available on the market)
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
I know it's been discussed before in the thread, but I just came back to my office from one of my clients that has an embedded device that was dead. It is nothing more then a Pi in a case in the back of their id scanner.

Cause of death...a power adapter that probably cost less the then the $0.25 I put in the parking meter in front of their office because it's raining and I didn't want to park in the free lot and walk.
Seriously, I put in a phone charger that I had in my trunk and they were back online. I cracked open the dead one and it was so poorly constructed I was surprised it ever worked.

-Dave
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
Ok, so for now I did downloaded a blockchain on that spare laptop using a newly purchased 1TB Samsung SSD. It took around 26-30hs which is amazing. Re-syncing after a night off takes only several minutes which is dope. To learn how to do it I watched those tutorials:
Linux - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bju_FdCo42w&list=PLtK75qxsQaMLZSo7KL-PmiRarU7hrpnwK (watched till like 34-35th video)
Full Node - https://github.com/k3tan172/ubuntu-node-box/ - only installed Core for now. Haven't setup incoming connections, TOR or anything yet since I'll do it when I migrate to RPi.

RPi is a project for this or next month so I will update you guys on specs I will decide on and on learning/progress.

Thanks for all the help Smiley
legendary
you can also use Bitcoin Core team's HWI: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/HWI

guide here: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/HWI/blob/master/docs/bitcoin-core-usage.md

There's a big change to how the wallet sub-system works that's probably going to make it into Bitcoin 0.20.0, at the moment creating a watching wallet is pretty painless (although it will take a while to scan the blockchains for tx history), but spending using Bitcoin's GUI isn't yet possible. Continuing to use the separate Trezor apps is still the only way to do it (or use the cli tools for HWI)

Ultimately though, using Trezor's web wallet as the front end is less satisfactory as a solution than using an integrated tool with Bitcoin's GUI, both for how streamlined the process and how secure/minimal the system will be. But the earliest possibility of using that is gonna be 0.20.0, and that's not scheduled for release till May 2020. The watch-wallet scanning may well receive a big performance boost with BIP157-based utxo querying. Again, that'll be in 0.20.0 at the earliest (but you can enable the filters for BIP157 now if you're using Bitcoin 0.19.0+)
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
Can I mirror my trezor wallet on Bitcoin core? Perhaps a watch only wallet.  I'm not intending to use the synced wallet for new transactions quite yet since I'm familiar with the trezor.

Yes...With a but....it's not that simple.

1) Run the Trezor back end. https://github.com/trezor/blockbook

2) Connect the back end to your Bitcoin Core node

3) Use custom back end in option in the Trezor Web Walett and connect to your backend

So...Yeah, it can be done.

-Dave
legendary
Can I mirror my trezor wallet on Bitcoin core? Perhaps a watch only wallet.  I'm not intending to use the synced wallet for new transactions quite yet since I'm familiar with the trezor.
legendary

Had to step away for a bit due to travel and now finally getting back to the Rpi 4 full node mission.
Wow, what a difference downloading core to an internal ssd on a good computer makes! Finished in 20 hours!  Was expecting at least a few days from my previous experience.
I should have it copied to an external HD and running on the Rpi shortly.  Fingers crossed.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
Yeah, with wait I meant for more stable and bug fixed version 4. Thanks for advice. Will keep you updated. For now I will order 1TB SSD and sync on that spare laptop. Tomorrow I'm sitting down to Linux course. WML  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1329
Stultorum infinitus est numerus
You are right on point. I would check the third one though. Raspberry Pi 4 was released just not too long ago. I doubt there will be a new Raspberry Pi releasing in the next few years unless there is a huge jump in ARM technology. No need to wait for a new one if you want to use your wallet.

But there will be Raspberry Pi 4 with newer revision codes, especially to faulty USB-C design on Raspberry Pi 4 which makes only specific USB-c cable works.

They usually get pushed out very silently (with the newest batch) so... maybe? You got a point but it's really not that big of a chance like the first few Pi models. (B - B+ kind)
legendary
Hello everyone,

this is my new post on this forum and I didn't want to start a new topic. I am also looking to learn to run a Full Node and connect it to Coldcard + Wassabi (in the future) and all of this is new to me. I was researching a lot last couple of days but found the best information in this thread. So in short I just wanted to as you guys about opinion:

Since I'm new to RPi and to putting my hardware together as well as running Bitcoin Core and Linux in general (yes, I've been living under the rock..  Grin ) wouldn't it be easier for newbie like me to:

- Download Bitcoin Core to my spare laptop ( i5, 8Gb RAM, SSD drive) and set blockchain to sync on external SSD
- Learn Linux (i was planning to do a course on this anyway)
- Then wait for stable version of new RPi and buy components (I've already looked into that so I know what I need) and learn to set it up there (preferably running over TOR?)
- Set the blockchain directory on RPi to that external SSD I've downloaded it on my laptop
- Enjoy compact size Full Node running 24/7 and then learn to use command line / SSH to broadcast transactions from my ledger to a multisig guarded by Cold Card (prefferably going throu Wassabi first for annonimity)?

Interested in your opinions. If this is wrong place I'm sorry, I'll post it somewhere else.

Cheers!

(all of this is what I've learned on Twitter, I've been lurking in this space for a while but never on this forum. Forgive me if those questions are super dumb)

Welcome! Indeed, this is a perfect place to start. I'm in a very similar position to learning these things and would appreciate your shared experience in this.  Looking forward to hearing from you.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1329
Stultorum infinitus est numerus
Hello everyone,

this is my new post on this forum and I didn't want to start a new topic. I am also looking to learn to run a Full Node and connect it to Coldcard + Wassabi (in the future) and all of this is new to me. I was researching a lot last couple of days but found the best information in this thread. So in short I just wanted to as you guys about opinion:

Since I'm new to RPi and to putting my hardware together as well as running Bitcoin Core and Linux in general (yes, I've been living under the rock..  Grin ) wouldn't it be easier for newbie like me to:

- Download Bitcoin Core to my spare laptop ( i5, 8Gb RAM, SSD drive) and set blockchain to sync on external SSD
- Learn Linux (i was planning to do a course on this anyway)
- Then wait for stable version of new RPi and buy components (I've already looked into that so I know what I need) and learn to set it up there (preferably running over TOR?)
- Set the blockchain directory on RPi to that external SSD I've downloaded it on my laptop
- Enjoy compact size Full Node running 24/7 and then learn to use command line / SSH to broadcast transactions from my ledger to a multisig guarded by Cold Card (prefferably going throu Wassabi first for annonimity)?

Interested in your opinions. If this is wrong place I'm sorry, I'll post it somewhere else.

Cheers!

(all of this is what I've learned on Twitter, I've been lurking in this space for a while but never on this forum. Forgive me if those questions are super dumb)

You are right on point. I would check the third one though. Raspberry Pi 4 was released just not too long ago. I doubt there will be a new Raspberry Pi releasing in the next few years unless there is a huge jump in ARM technology. No need to wait for a new one if you want to use your wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: