Pages:
Author

Topic: All BTC disappeared from my Mt. Gox account - page 2. (Read 3242 times)

legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
Depending where you are I doubt the police will do much about it, But you will have proof you made a police report....

I agree they probably won't have much chance of getting OP's BTC back.  But here's a chance to look in the mirror and do some soul searching about BTC.  Maybe OP shouldn't have put so much in BTC that it hurts to lose it.  After all we're in a Wild West phase of BTC's development.  We're seeing scalability problems already from satoshidice for instance.

When you suffer a loss like this don't expect a bail-out.  I know it seems like everyone expects to get a check every time something bad happens to them.  But like I said it's the Wild West.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
Depending where you are I doubt the police will do much about it, But you will have proof you made a police report....
legendary
If the account owner did the transaction himself, there is no reason not to share the IP (i.e. his own) from which the withdrawal was issued.
If someone else did, that's a very obvious reason (or even duty) to share the IP to the actual account owner.

They won't and they shouldn't.  Think about it.  What would you do with someone's IP address if you had it?  Suppose they told you the IP address and you somehowtracked down the perpetrator and killed him.  Think of the liability that opens Gox (or any other business) up to.

Leave law enforcement to the police.
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
Unless you have a really compelling reason to use them, you should avoid using exchanges.

Why do you say this?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011
coinminers, would you mind sharing what password you used for your Mt. Gox account? (assuming you changed your password in the mean time, if not, DO IT NOW)

I'm curious as to how (un)likely it is that somebody hacked guessed  it.

Do what they suggested and file a police report.  Gox won't tell you the perpetrator's IP address or anything else.  They'll only divulge that with a court order or law enforcement request.  It's your only hope.
That is actually pretty darn lame from them, not to mention extremely customer unfriendly Angry

If the account owner did the transaction himself, there is no reason not to share the IP (i.e. his own) from which the withdrawal was issued.
If someone else did, that's a very obvious reason (or even duty) to share the IP to the actual account owner.

Shame on you, Mt Gox. Another reason why I will trade ZERO bitcoins with you.
Activity: 147
I see. I will sure as hell not use Mt Gox anymore.

My computer is safe, so is my password, I did not use this password on other sites, and I see no way how someone could have obtained it through fault of my own!

This really sucks! Angry
legendary
Do what they suggested and file a police report.  Gox won't tell you the perpetrator's IP address or anything else.  They'll only divulge that with a court order or law enforcement request.  It's your only hope.

Unless you have a really compelling reason to use them, you should avoid using exchanges.
Thanks everyone for the input, is there no way for me to get MtGox to help out a little bit more? I mean they have IP information, logs etc., no?
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
A lot of that going on.

"MtGox account got cleared out"
 - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/mtgox-account-got-cleared-out-85533

Another:
 - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.941759

And another:
"My mtgox account got compromised, what can I do?"
 - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/my-mtgox-account-got-compromised-what-can-i-do-84585

And on other services as well.  Here same thing happened to some GLBSE users:
 - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/i-suspect-gpumax-was-compromised-and-passwords-stolen-84893

In none of these was the person using multi-factor authentication.  Mt. Gox has had Yubikey support for a while.  Mt. Gox accounts now support Google Authenticator:
 - https://mtgox.com/press_release_20120605.html
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
Ouch that sucks.. I use similar passwords on sites but rarely the same... The exchange I use requires email verification everytime I log in.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
make sure, that your password is changend now.

seems very unfortunate but i think someone got your password and did a payout to his own address
Last week I sent a notice to Mt Gox about money that disappeared from my account.

This is the note I sent them:

--
Hello,

I'm inquiring about the transaction below:

2012/06/01 16:47:36   Withdraw    125.39000000 BTC   0.00000000 BTC
Bitcoin withdraw to 12pgtNq8A67Si6RwGa4ccjUVGJnjuiiU3z

I never initiated a transaction like that so I'm wondering where that money went?
--

This is what they replied:

--
Hello,

We are sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, we can not refund any amount of the stolen funds. While this is extremely disappointing news, it is unavoidable. Issuing a direct refund is not possible as there is no way of proving that your account was in fact compromised. As a business if Mt.Gox were to offer you a cash or bitcoin refund in compensation of this extremely unfortunate event, there would be a large increase in the number of hacking attempts to capitalize upon the possibility of financial reward.

As a further remedy, we would like to suggest that you file a police report for the stolen goods. It is preferable for the police to inspect your computer, but not necessary. Once this investigation has occurred and a copy of the police report issued, please send a copy of it along with a notarized copy of your passport or Government issued photo ID to Mt.Gox.

Please let us know how you wish to proceed, and again we apologize for the frustration and inconvenience caused.

Thanks,

MtGox.com Team
--

Is this normal??
Pages:
Jump to: