Pages:
Author

Topic: Alternative Block Chains : be safe! - page 78. (Read 1363520 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 100
August 28, 2017, 06:29:46 PM
I know there has been a lot of skepticism on EOS, But I believe that is one blockchain that still has something to prove. Now I would definitely consider buying 2 months before the ICO is over.
Activity: 644
Merit: 101
📱 CARTESI 📱 INFRASTRUCTURE FOR DAP
August 28, 2017, 04:03:51 PM
Good Advise. some people who knows blockchains  try to scam the people to steal their money. I have heard of oneCoin who has a private blockchain I feel sorry for people when I hear that they ha invested in oneCoin.
Activity: 216
Early Bitcoin investor.
August 27, 2017, 05:04:40 PM
Hi, All!

Who can advice about this coin- ATBcoin? Some people say this is scam!

I do not think this is a scam. I think that this is a good project. But all the ranks must be neat. Will test
Activity: 448
August 27, 2017, 07:28:00 AM
I'm very happy that the Block Chains now offers more protection than ever before.There is no comparison with this decentralized network.So keep your password be hidden and be safe.
Activity: 280
August 21, 2017, 12:01:40 PM
I haven't seen anybody post about what would be my biggest worry if I were trying out alternative block chains. I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)  But I think some of you might be forgetting some basic computer security fundamentals in the excitement to be early adopters.

When I first heard about bitcoin, my questions were:

1) Can it possibly work (do the ideas for how it works make sense)?
2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

I answered those questions by:

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

If you want to take a risk on a brand-new alternative block-chain, I'd strongly suggest that you:

1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable.
2) Don't invest more money or time than you can afford to lose.
3) Use a different passphrase at every exchange site.

This is the rule I started to follow. Also, I try to connect with like minded people either in a group or forum.  I know we shouldn't blindly trust people that we don't know but I believe, trust is another element in crypto community.
Activity: 69
Merit: 10
August 17, 2017, 09:57:30 AM
The thing is why changing different password should be limited to exchanges only, it too applies on forums, emails, and even pools, and that some antivirus heuristics appear to loathe anything that has mining code in it and isn't unequivocally whitelisted.
Activity: 222
August 16, 2017, 11:47:09 PM
Gavin still read this thread? How about DAG, native scalable, totally new area about blockchain.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
August 15, 2017, 08:08:22 PM
Good advice.

Using an alternate cryptocurrency client would be a great way to get many people to install a hidden virus that targets Bitcoin users.

If you have a significant amount of Bitcoins, I wouldn't run other clients on the same computer until the alternates have developed trust over a longer period of time... I'm probably on the paranoid side of things though.

These new cryptocurrencies are interesting, and it will be fascinating to see how it will all play out. 

I would not call it paranoid, but prevention is a good thing. We never know what is hidden in other clients and i think you just gave a good advice to everyone reading your post.
Activity: 161
August 15, 2017, 02:51:33 PM
I haven't seen anybody post about what would be my biggest worry if I were trying out alternative block chains. I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)  But I think some of you might be forgetting some basic computer security fundamentals in the excitement to be early adopters.

2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

If you want to take a risk on a brand-new alternative block-chain, I'd strongly suggest that you:

1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable.

Thank you, Gavin.
Good advice. this is a very important thing, and all people must know and understand about that.

Glad that you mentioned money and time being equally valuable in this equation. Good Advice!
Activity: 168
August 11, 2017, 03:05:00 PM

the decentralized network with the appeals on building of the system as

users from the different basics of ideal preference to defines with decision as appealing of customs with the appreciation as focusing of ones with the majors on examination

to becomes of parts with the network of chains as improving the use on strategics as displacing unit of disposition of funds with the decision as entering field.

Activity: 112
August 11, 2017, 12:01:46 PM
Thanks God, BTC is well-developed blockchain, so you don't ave an excuse not to work with other brokers!
Activity: 140
August 11, 2017, 11:58:17 AM
That is really interesting and thorough way of making sure your investments are safe. Could you tell me more about how to make sure that a certain crypto can't be exploited by hackers?
Activity: 79
Decentralized A2P SMS platform
August 10, 2017, 11:13:55 AM
i prefer to use blockchain. sometime its reall fast when transaction .
Yes same better use Blockchain if I. Blockchain on Bitcoin is a decentralized system. Bitcoin means not influenced any Government policy which may just carries a bad influence in the system. Bitcoin is also an example of the success of the system over peer-to-peer without a central controller that controls the operations of the system. Bitcoin can just replace credit cards and debit cards in the future.
Hi avianvian09, "Blockchain on Bitcoin is a decentralized system". But how do you think it can work with alternative currencies? Do you have examples? Thank you!
Activity: 66
August 09, 2017, 02:57:44 AM

You just need one portable bitcoin client that can safely reside on an encrypted and backed up volume
Activity: 294
August 09, 2017, 12:31:54 AM
tnx for these very valuable info...
these will really help a lot of beginners like me....
will try to follow your guidelines on future things i want to do.
Cheesy
Activity: 241
August 04, 2017, 04:15:28 PM
Yes Gavin, Thats a good starter for me, a newbie in cryptocurrency. In fact i want to understand how to read a whitepaper so i can identify useless altcoins. thanks. kick start my adventure soon.
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
August 04, 2017, 07:55:41 AM

2) Is it a scam?

Thank you, Gavin.
Good advice. this is a very important thing, and all people must know and understand about that.

Activity: 1188
Merit: 260
Tryig to survive in this harsh world
August 01, 2017, 06:27:45 AM
I think this thread should be locked so no one will make their own advertising on it here.
Activity: 94
July 29, 2017, 02:23:13 AM
i don't really encounter this yet but i believe this might be possibly nowadays. knowing the boundaries of technology nowadays is so wide and broad. if it will be happening i don't this will be use in good purpose. as you mention in your trend. it can be used to hacking activities or even worst. as a venturer here on crypto word let's just not hope for this kind of thing to happen.
Activity: 476
Merit: 121
July 20, 2017, 01:43:26 PM
No one is immune from losing money. You have to be careful when working with crypto-currencies. There are many risk factors: you can get to phishing, you can become a victim of a virus, you can not correctly specify the address and much more.
Pages:
Jump to: