Pages:
Author

Topic: Alternative Block Chains : be safe! - page 85. (Read 1343989 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
August 06, 2013, 11:28:11 PM
I think these are perfectly legitimate concerns actually but the way I found out whether Bitcoin wasn't a scam and the way I find out anything else isn't a scam is this:

. Is it open source? If it's open source then that means people will be able to look at the code and find anything suspicious or even help to improve it if the developer is unwilling, it's very difficult to plant something bad if people can investigate it with a microscope

. Are the stores that are supportive of it just subsidiaries of the person who made the currency? Or are they independent and have accepted it willingly? This is usually a good sign that it has some actual worth, because they must have been convinced by something about the coin to accept it right?

. Does the developer regularly post updates or comments, do they chat and argue with other developers or users? Usually another good sign that the currency is going places and not just a con, if they just post it and abandon it for ages then chances are they're just looking for someone to click on the links

. Does the developer have a programming background? Have they done anything aside from this currency they've made? If they have, chances are they'll have the understanding of the source code needed to update and change it if bugs and glitches come out, they'll also usually have more respect for other peoples computers if they already work for a legitimate company

If you are an Anarchist/Libertarian Cheesy :

. Does the currency have no ties to the current aristocracy, government or financial system? If so there's probably a better chance of it being legitimate than just a way to manipulate peoples wealth
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
July 04, 2013, 11:02:17 PM
thank you
Activity: 28
June 26, 2013, 06:13:00 PM
look at Bytecoin a byte is bigger than a bit following that line of reasoning~hmm name dat remix?..thanks

EDIT : Lmao! looks like this is the BTE thread after reading haaa
Activity: 14
June 15, 2013, 07:26:31 PM
I haven't seen anybody post about what would be my biggest worry if I were trying out alternative block chains. I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)  But I think some of you might be forgetting some basic computer security fundamentals in the excitement to be early adopters.

When I first heard about bitcoin, my questions were:lots of fishy

1) Can it possibly work (do the ideas for how it works make sense)?
2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

I answered those questions by:

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

If you want to take a risk on a brand-new alternative block-chain, I'd strongly suggest that you:

1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable.
2) Don't invest more money or time than you can afford to lose.
3) Use a different passphrase at every exchange site.

Activity: 266
Merit: 100
NXT is the future
June 14, 2013, 06:09:44 AM
thank you
Activity: 439
Merit: 250
June 12, 2013, 09:31:53 PM
Thanks Gavin!

That is great advice and it includes the absolute basic measures that everyone should take. Since we are connecting right to someones server anything could happen. Well, not "anything". Im not going  to start mining and open an inter-dimensional portal.

This advice is especially prescient now that we see "the newest alt coin is here!" 20 times per day. (btw, is there a way to stop people from creating thousands of altcoins? I have been trying to just ridicule them but it is barely slowing them down)

Thanks again
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
May 26, 2013, 06:29:34 PM
A lot of these coins are just pump and dump.
Which ones aren't? Tongue

What is your opinion on Bytecoin, released on April 1?

"April 1" Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001
May 26, 2013, 12:12:36 PM

What is your opinion on Bytecoin, released on April 1?

erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
May 25, 2013, 07:55:26 AM
I think FTC had a block chain split from a 51% attack around block 33,000. No slow block rate from the high diff helped the attacker.
staff
Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110
May 15, 2013, 11:40:14 AM
Very good advise here, even though I don't believe on using alternative currencies to Bitcoin.

There are a number of virtual programs which can be installed for free, and they are also safe and pretty reliable.
Also very easy to setup, google on how to setup. It takes no longer than 5 minutes.
legendary
May 11, 2013, 09:39:10 AM
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Changing avatars is currently not possible.
May 11, 2013, 08:42:27 AM
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
May 09, 2013, 01:50:58 PM
Most of the new coins coming out daily are created by ignorant developers. Now that's scary.
Activity: 126
May 08, 2013, 01:06:33 PM
necromancers...
Activity: 110
Merit: 10
May 06, 2013, 10:33:15 PM
If anybody is reading this and also wants to solo mine with virtual box for safety I used this and it worked.

Many alt-coin/modded/patched clients are very interesting but less than fully trustworthy,
and VirtualBox has no good GPU support.

So, for solo mining the miner should run on the physical host machine and connect to the client
in the virtual machine, via "virtual box port forwarding".
Expert level manuals are easy to find, but is there a simple step-by-step howto for beginners?

Very short version would be like:

-Miner: connect to localhost 127.0.0.1 and to some unused port xxxx.

-VBox network settings (for this virtual machine): networking mode: NAT (default)
                                            port forwarding: host IP
                                                                    host port
                                                                    guest IP
                                                                    guest port

-in config file for client in guest machine: rpcallowip=*

This should do it. Guest firewall (in its default state, tested on Linux mint and Win7) is mostly harmless.

The asterisk in rpcallowip is literal. In the conf file put that exactly with the asterisk.
Activity: 110
May 06, 2013, 06:24:24 PM
Guys, there is no point in GPU-mining in VMs!

Alternative chains with GPU-based miners are compatible with standard (trusted) miners that don't need to be virtualized. This means you only need to run the (untrusted) alternative chain app in a VM, and expose its RPC port to the network where the physical miners are running...

Could you please expand on this bit more? (I'm pretty new to VirtualBox) I set up VirtualBox with Windows 7 in a host OS that's Windows 8. The windows 8 machine is my miner and I can't figure out how to get the config to point my solomine to my CHNcoin wallet on the Guest OS.  When I go to ipconfig on the VirtualBox it has an ipv6 address and an ipv4 address that is 10.x.x.x (there are numbers where the x's are). So in my conf file when I run my CHN coin wallet as server do I use the rpcallowip as the 10.x.x.x address and then set my cgminer to point to that as my url?  Will I have to configure anything else in VirtualBox to let the miner through to the ports?
Activity: 33
May 04, 2013, 10:21:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up!
Activity: 182
May 03, 2013, 11:08:47 AM
Great advice, thank you, I was looking at getting into some newer cryptocurrencies and wanted to make sure that I would stay safe and couldn't get Trojans or other viruses from it.
Activity: 84
April 16, 2013, 09:57:42 PM
I did have to keep it on a notepad for the first few days but after that I memorized it and it is only in my head.
legendary
April 16, 2013, 09:35:06 PM
I personally use LastPass but my password for LastPass is a 20 character random pass with symbols included so I highly doubt it will be getting cracked very easily.
Unless someone finds where you wrote it down Smiley

Or ... http://xkcd.com/538/

... or you forget it coz it is 'random' ... if it is random, then your memory is clearly good enough to not bother using any storage for passwords Tongue
Pages:
Jump to: