Pages:
Author

Topic: Alternative Block Chains : be safe! - page 83. (Read 1343607 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
August 28, 2014, 04:07:24 AM
I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)

I would say you nailed this one bullseye with one shot. I think your real concern isn't our "safety" it's yours. Sooner or later one of these alt-chains are going to replace Bitcoin if Bitcoin doesn't do some seriously needed updating and improvements.

You know it, I know it and so does everyone else.

Sometimes the truth isn't all warm and fuzzy, sometimes it's just plain brutal.

+1

I think the updating and improvements of Bitcoin has referred to some commercial value like Bitpay which the bitcoin is commitment to keep secure and more valuable, indeed, the payment of Bitpay has become popular in North American such as Newegg in Canada.
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
August 03, 2014, 04:52:16 PM
I really appreciate this thread! Also, if you have mining equipment, don't use a wallet on the same machine. I basically don't have anything on my mining computers except a bare OS and the actual mining software.
Activity: 310
July 28, 2014, 11:16:43 AM
These are really good points from Gavin, thanks!

The problem altcoins and new block-chain still have place in the digital currency scene as they address issues that bitcoin don't or do (or at least try to do) certain things more efficiently. Like shorter confirmation time or smart contracts.
Activity: 434
freecrypto.top
July 08, 2014, 09:45:40 PM
Good read. Security should always be a top priority with crypto currency.
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
June 23, 2014, 10:41:17 PM
dedicate a computer for just use with crypto, don't use for general purpose browsing...  or posting to BTT..
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
June 12, 2014, 08:31:06 AM
Always safety first people! You dont want to lose all your BTC's.
Google authenticator - Clean PC - antivirus - and make very difficult passwords you only save on a piece of paper.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
June 04, 2014, 06:03:57 AM
Using Google Authenticator as a 2way authentication for exchangers will keep you out of trouble, and your coins will be safe. As for the wallets, they have to be kept on a clean PC wich is not used for mining, with a solid antivirus, used with caution when downloading anything new.
It`s an honour for me too to reply on a hero member`s thread!:)
Activity: 392
my magic is growing strong[er]
May 27, 2014, 01:56:34 PM
I don't know much about technicalities of blockchain safety, but want to say after seeing legions of new coins arising: "may the best coin(s) win!" , whenever that will be known - somewhere in the future Wink
Activity: 145
Merit: 3
May 10, 2014, 11:07:08 PM
It is the best thread I have readed in the forum. There is too much scams here. Thanks for your post.
Activity: 396
May 05, 2014, 06:49:01 AM
Is there some list of indicators that certain altcoin is scam and other is not? (Except Premining, and Instamining?)

Even Bitcoin is premined.

P.S.: Polemic intended
Activity: 598
Merit: 500
April 13, 2014, 11:08:13 AM
Is there some list of indicators that certain altcoin is scam and other is not? (Except Premining, and Instamining?)
no ,but you can  make one  Smiley
Activity: 509
Merit: 253
April 12, 2014, 11:53:01 PM
It is not wrong to be conservative. The possibility is that people miss a lot of fun and chances of profit by adopting this attitude. Specifically, it is right not to install risky software on real personal computer.
Agree, if so, our computer is easy to be attacked, that all the things we are not protected by computer, there are risks of leakage and the attack. This feel alarmed might as well give up this coin, the author will certainly consider this, hope to be able to improve technically perfect his. Let the fans can rest assured.
Activity: 42
April 02, 2014, 07:54:09 AM

There are more shitcoins than scam coins nowadays. Someone finds an idea, fork a coin and call it revolutionary, 3rd gen, 4th gen.. Take the case of Auroracoin, spaincoin, siliconvalley coin, hongkong coin.
Activity: 462
March 28, 2014, 10:40:14 PM
first time to reply on a post written by hero member,  it's my honor
Activity: 112
March 07, 2014, 04:16:13 AM

You'll never know it's a scam or not, it all depends on the integrity of the developer. code also needs to be well analyzed for invulnerability
Activity: 43
February 25, 2014, 04:16:51 AM
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
February 20, 2014, 08:56:46 AM
Using altcoins will never be safe, cause it's almost impossible to analyse all the code, best effort would be to understand the risk and be ready for trouble.

Bitcoin once was like that and now look at what it has become.
Activity: 43
February 19, 2014, 06:43:10 AM
Using altcoins will never be safe, cause it's almost impossible to analyse all the code, best effort would be to understand the risk and be ready for trouble.
Activity: 66
February 16, 2014, 08:38:51 PM
I haven't seen anybody post about what would be my biggest worry if I were trying out alternative block chains. I realize this may be perceived as "Gavin is FUD'ding anything that isn't bitcoin!"  (FUD == Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt)  But I think some of you might be forgetting some basic computer security fundamentals in the excitement to be early adopters.

When I first heard about bitcoin, my questions were:

1) Can it possibly work (do the ideas for how it works make sense)?
2) Is it a scam?
3) If it is not a scam, could it open my computer up to viruses/trojans if I run it?

I answered those questions by:

1) Reading and understanding Satoshi's whitepaper.  Then thinking about it for a day or two and reading it again.
2) Finding out everything I could about the project.  I read every forum thread here (there were probably under a hundred threads back then) and read Satoshi's initial postings on the crypto mailing list.
3) Downloaded and skimmed the source code to see if it looked vulnerable to buffer overflow or other remotely exploitable attacks.

If I were going to experiment with an alternative block-chain, I'd go through the same process again. But I'm an old conservative fuddy-duddy.

If you want to take a risk on a brand-new alternative block-chain, I'd strongly suggest that you:

1) Run the software in a virtual machine or on a machine that doesn't contain anything valuable.
2) Don't invest more money or time than you can afford to lose.
3) Use a different passphrase at every exchange site.

Multi-factor authentication for all please. Yubikey+Password, Cellphone+Password, Smartcard+Password, Biometric+Password.

Never trust a site which wants you to use a password alone. Never trust your keyboard or your operating system. Biometric hardware wallets will become increasingly important for security of crypto-finance in the future and I wish there were more robust hardware and API's for it.

I know Bitcoin is intending to support two-factor authentication but please consider supporting the latest biometric technology as well due to the ease of use factor.

People will probably find a way to hack those as well ,no?
Activity: 14
February 13, 2014, 05:49:07 PM
I think blockchain is good with people use it.
Pages:
Jump to: