Pages:
Author

Topic: Alternatives to death penalty? - page 3. (Read 2466 times)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
July 29, 2018, 10:30:31 PM
Death penalty has its pro and con but I think it has little effect on reducing crimes. Though it does help reducing cost spent on prison. What do you guys think? Is there alternatives to punishing crimes?
I think the best alternative to punishment is education and work. Proper socialization of criminals positively affects a persons. I think that if psychologists and teachers work with the prisoners, they can reconsider their views on life and repent. As for the economic aspects, I think that prisoners should make the most money that  spent on their maintenance..
I think that would be the best way for the guilty people. It will be a way of liberation to dispel all suffering for those who are still alive
Activity: 19
July 27, 2018, 01:00:22 PM
My biggest concern with the death penalty is that mistakes are made. So many cases have occurred in the United States when somebody was sentenced to death and then it was discovered that the person wasn't guilty. Sometimes the person had already been killed and sometimes, luckily, they hadn't. I suppose the death penalty could be a reasonable punishment for certain crimes, if the system was always perfect. The thing is that the system can never be perfect, therefore I don't think it's wise to use the death penalty. I think it's best to lean towards a system like in Norway. There the inmates are treated kindly and they are given many opportunities to learn and become better, to prepare for their return to society. The maximum sentence there is 20 years.
Activity: 19
July 27, 2018, 01:00:11 PM
In front of certain crimes, it is impossible to remain impassible. The atrocities of certain acts push us to want to vilify or to blow for blow to the culprits. The death penalty has existed since the dawn of time. In all religions, we find its trace. Especially in the Bible, we see how Moses tried to discipline his people. In this sense, we can say that this punishment is to educate and discipline. I do not believe in his advantages but his only goal is discipline. Sometimes she does not scare off criminals. You just have to know the real cause of the crimes. Maybe there, we'll know what to do.
Activity: 100
July 27, 2018, 12:55:00 PM
Suspended animation inside a Cube for 50+ years no matter what the crime. You may not age a day but your most treasured loved ones are subject too the cruel sands of time, some really scary stuff. Imagine the torment of being out of there lives for 50+ years? Much more horrifying than how prison is done now.
Activity: 672
Merit: 1
July 16, 2018, 01:32:58 AM
Fact is that death penalty has not helped to reduce or discourage criminality in the society and I believe that people should be given as many chances to amend their ways as people. Life imprisonment should be the alternative
Activity: 34
July 14, 2018, 04:58:02 AM
I don't know if the death penalty curbs criminals from committing crimes or not, but I do believe that some crimes are just to outrageous and the only justice that can be had is from the death penalty. Also, some people just prove themselves to be too dangerous to be allowed to live. 
Activity: 98
July 14, 2018, 04:26:48 AM
Death penalty should not be abolish because some crimes and violation needed death for an exchange. Death penalty will change the minds of the criminals who are violating the law, this will make them change their lives forever. This will can also lessen the crimes committed yearly or eventually change the whole country, but if people are against it, you cannot imply this kind of law in your country, it can either make you good or bad, its the people's choice.
Activity: 1
July 14, 2018, 02:34:45 AM
if its a death penalty i dont see any alternative because i even see it as one of the most easiest way out, fast and painless. giving them long term in prison will only increase state cost so its not an alternative.
Activity: 18
July 13, 2018, 11:51:31 PM
Death penalty is one of the fastest way to reduce crimes in a country, where nowadays we're living in a society where crime surrounds us. For me the criminals have the chance to change themselves for better. We can help them by producing centers that do counselling, rehabilitation centers that can belp them to be mentally stable and also with the help of the Government and the family of the criminal.

Someone in prison for a lower tier crime should really not be in the same system with those who are career criminals and higher tier crimes. So laws also need to be reformed and the most extreme should be removed to stop being a waste of resources. After ensuring the guilty is truly the guilty.
Activity: 31
July 13, 2018, 11:19:08 PM
Death penalty is one of the fastest way to reduce crimes in a country, where nowadays we're living in a society where crime surrounds us. For me the criminals have the chance to change themselves for better. We can help them by producing centers that do counselling, rehabilitation centers that can belp them to be mentally stable and also with the help of the Government and the family of the criminal.
Activity: 126
Merit: 10
July 13, 2018, 05:29:10 PM
The Preventive and Restorative Alternatives

OADP supports the redirection of the millions of dollars wasted each year pursuing the death penalty to victims’ support and proven violence prevention programs such as the following:
• Counseling and compensation for the surviving family members of homicide victims.
• Cold case units to investigate and bring to justice the perpetrators of unsolved murder cases.
• Counseling and support groups to reduce child abuse and enhance parenting skills.
• Domestic violence prevention and protection programs.
• Drug courts and substance abuse treatment programs.
• Mental health courts and community-based mental health treatment programs.
• Restorative justice programs such as victim-offender mediation and facilitated dialogue.
• Early childhood education programs.
• Offender re-entry support programs.
Activity: 56
June 20, 2018, 02:23:55 PM
I think life prison is much better that death penalty, but in some situation , death penalty is a good way to punish.

Death is not a punishment. Scaring with death is. While the person is waiting for the axe to drop he is punished with constant fear and not knowing when the time will be up. The death part of that sentence is rather a relief from the punishment.
Activity: 103
June 20, 2018, 02:16:35 PM
I think life prison is much better that death penalty, but in some situation , death penalty is a good way to punish.
Activity: 78
June 20, 2018, 12:20:24 PM
The death penalty is the easy way out for a hardcore criminal. Why make it easy for them? People commit suicide to escape life's pain, you want to help relieve the pain of hardcore criminals?

Solitary confinement is perfect. Solitary confinement for as little as a month will drive someone insane. I say we give these people LIFE in solitary confinement. If they survive 20 years in solitary confinement, it'll feel like they've been in there for 100 years.

Problem solved.

I agree so much with you, I feel like for someone who did something really bad and they get the death penalty, it is a easy way out, they have to have to think and suffer their consequences.
June 20, 2018, 12:16:32 PM
That's the thing.. you remove the possibility of further crime by this individual but you also remove the possibility of redemption.
Activity: 26
June 20, 2018, 11:28:47 AM
actually death penalty really helps to reduce crime. but it bypass the right of the person to live.
Activity: 314
June 20, 2018, 11:13:19 AM
Most countries have people who have been sentenced to death but the country has not undertaken the action of killing that particular prisoner. Governments are afraid that the blood of these people will be on their hand so no need to sign for them to be killed. To me the alternative punishment to death penalty is life imprisonment. People may argue that the person will still be a burden on the state because the state has to cater for accommodation, feeding and clothing. But the real deal is that the prisoner will also work for the state. He or she could be a relevant capital asset to the state. Most sentence statement read by judges end with hard labour. So this labour will provide adequate support to the prison service and to the state as a whole.
June 20, 2018, 09:43:03 AM
I think you can look it from several prespectives ,one is that if you give him sentence of life in prison you need to feed him,educate him give them all primary life sources and that cost the hole state, so there is a question why normal people need to pay trought tax for them when that money can be use for better things first for education for prevention this kind of crimes, so if you look it like that its better death penalty,but if you look it the other way death penalty is better choise for many of them thats why a lot of them try suicide to make it easy for them selfs they dont want to rot in jail for rest of their lifes....i like the last comment from quantum21 maybe solitary confinement woudnt be bad idea because death penalty or life without parol is not enought punish for lot of them

Why should normal people pay for their lives in prison?

Well.. why should normal people be asked to kill someone? You know.. someone is striking that axe/injecting that poison. We, humans, as a community should look after our own no matter what. If we collectively share the price is it really that bad? Mind you, for a greater good as well. For a second chance. Now if we have an executioner.. that is rolling the responsibility from a collective to 1 person / a small group of people.

Executioners also get paid from you tax money. So is another death justified? Does money really outweigh another persons life?

In my opinion no, it does not - everybody deserves another chance.

You can do a lot of things to a man but you should never take away his hope.
Activity: 108
June 20, 2018, 09:04:04 AM
I think you can look it from several prespectives ,one is that if you give him sentence of life in prison you need to feed him,educate him give them all primary life sources and that cost the hole state, so there is a question why normal people need to pay trought tax for them when that money can be use for better things first for education for prevention this kind of crimes, so if you look it like that its better death penalty,but if you look it the other way death penalty is better choise for many of them thats why a lot of them try suicide to make it easy for them selfs they dont want to rot in jail for rest of their lifes....i like the last comment from quantum21 maybe solitary confinement woudnt be bad idea because death penalty or life without parol is not enought punish for lot of them
Activity: 14
June 19, 2018, 09:07:48 PM
The death penalty is the easy way out for a hardcore criminal. Why make it easy for them? People commit suicide to escape life's pain, you want to help relieve the pain of hardcore criminals?

Solitary confinement is perfect. Solitary confinement for as little as a month will drive someone insane. I say we give these people LIFE in solitary confinement. If they survive 20 years in solitary confinement, it'll feel like they've been in there for 100 years.

Problem solved.
Pages:
Jump to: