Author

Topic: Analysis - page 126. (Read 941567 times)

Activity: 843
Merit: 1001
November 05, 2015, 09:31:39 AM
I decline to analze this. The multi year Great 3 has been started.

can  someone explain this,what does it mean?
Activity: 595
Merit: 101
Chromia - Relational Blockchain
November 05, 2015, 08:52:28 AM
I wasn't involved in Bitcoin in 2012, I only remembered an old timer who said btc-e had been hacked years ago. As memories can be unreliable I checked, and found this post about it. They paid everyone back out of their own pockets, and the exchange is still running three years later.

From https://btc-e.com/news/81:

Dear users of the Exchange Btc-e.com

The exchange is not going to close. We will refund all losses from our reserves.

Neither the servers nor the database were compromised. There were no SQL injections.

At 04:07 MSK (GMT+4) our LR API Secret Key was compromised. It's 16 uppercase, lowercase letters and digits. They may have bruteforced it for long.

Using the key the hacker imitated LR deposits from many accounts and bought up Bitcoins, Namecoins and Litecoins.

We lost our daily volume, approx. 4500 BTC. The attacker couldn't withdraw more
as most BTC were distributed over several offline wallets.

At 10:30 we restored the database to the state it was at 04:00, right before the attack. All trades after 4:00 are reverted.

People who attempted withdrawals before 04:00 MSK will get their funds withdrawn later today.

For people who deposited BTC, LTC and NMC after 04:00 MSK the funds will be put to their balances before market opens.
We are working on the scripts for this.

If you deposited USD after 04:00 MSK you should send us your login, amount and payment system used by email or PM.

Our plan:

1. The trade will be disabled until we restore the balances to the point before market crash.

2. After that, the trade and deposit/withdrawal will be back on, approx. within 1-2 days.

Icq - 610112128
Skype - btc-e.support
E-mail - [email protected]
Activity: 239
Merit: 100
November 05, 2015, 08:27:47 AM
For those of you who do a bit of daytrading, do you sell and buy in the exchanges, like bitstamp or not? Isn't it risky, when something like MtGox could happen? I want to hear some thoughts on this!

Yes it's risky on the high volume exchanges, and there is always the risk they could get hacked and you lose the lot. Coinbase is insured, but lower volume than the bigger exchanges, and they have more restrictions on what you are allowed to do with your coins. Gemini is also insured but has extremely low volume, though it might go up.

Thank you for the answer. What about btc-e and bitstamp? In what volume will things get risky? Like 100 bitcoins, 1000 or even a few, like 10?
Any volume, doesn't matter. If the exchange goes to shit you lose your account, whether it has one bitcoin or a thousand, so never keep more than you can afford to lose.

As for which of the two is better, I personally prefer Bitstamp as they seem more serious and less shady than btc-e. Although 'stamp has previously gotten hacked and btc-e afaik hasn't, so there's that. edit: according to post above me they've both gotten hacked.

I mainly trade on OKCoin, the degenerate that I am Cheesy Note though that Chinese exchanges are probably the shadiest and riskiest, with the trade-off being by far the most liquidity, best fees and margin options.
November 05, 2015, 08:19:09 AM
For those of you who do a bit of daytrading, do you sell and buy in the exchanges, like bitstamp or not? Isn't it risky, when something like MtGox could happen? I want to hear some thoughts on this!

Yes it's risky on the high volume exchanges, and there is always the risk they could get hacked and you lose the lot. Coinbase is insured, but lower volume than the bigger exchanges, and they have more restrictions on what you are allowed to do with your coins. Gemini is also insured but has extremely low volume, though it might go up.

Thank you for the answer. What about btc-e and bitstamp? In what volume will things get risky? Like 100 bitcoins, 1000 or even a few, like 10?

Nobody knows who runs btc-e and I think it might have been hacked a long time ago, but they paid everyone what they were owed and it's still running now. However it's a very low volume exchange. A hundred Bitcoins could make a big swing in price there.

Bitstamp has also been hacked, but paid everyone back, and we know who owns it. It was the highest volume exchange until the hack, then it lost it's place to Bitfinex, but now they probably share the top place for USD volume exchanges, It takes thousands of Bitcoins to swing the price on either of those exchanges.
Activity: 123
November 05, 2015, 08:12:24 AM

November 05, 2015, 08:09:58 AM

Activity: 123
November 05, 2015, 08:05:05 AM
November 05, 2015, 08:04:29 AM
Looks like we're living in interesting times again. Volatility beats stagnation, even if extreme volatility like now is difficult to trade precisely. Agreed?

Agreed, Masterluc warmed us not to trade it but I ignored him and lost a pile of cash by panicking. I'll leave it to the professionals and bots to trade this chaos until things calm down and there's a clear direction.

Thanks for your advice Masterluc, and sharing your knowledge with us.
Activity: 509
Merit: 564
"In Us We Trust"
November 05, 2015, 08:03:04 AM
TECHNICALS! Alright, here's what I'm seeing guys...

Well I was wrong.

I have no idea how high this is going. To be fair, I don't think anyone does at this point.

I'm wondering though, we didn't have leveraged buying back 2013 right? At least not to the extent we have today... I wonder how large of a role that is playing here.

OK. So after reality decided to come back, this ended up just being a huge wick on my charts... albeit, enough to have briefly lost faith in my own TA.

Faith *slightly* restored.... but I agree with Luc, that was insane.

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014
advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe
November 05, 2015, 07:54:28 AM
We'll miss you lucif. This has been one of the best threads on the forum. Although maybe we can get out and explore the world now rather than constantly hitting refresh.  Smiley Come back soon.
Activity: 239
November 05, 2015, 07:28:08 AM
Just wanted to chip in with the rest and say thank you for this (and your previous) thread lucif. Your continuous prophetic wisdom among this cesspit of "HODL"s and rocket pictures is what got me interested in TA to begin with, and has led to some nice profit over the years.

Although something tells me you (hopefully) won't be away for good. Analysis never ends! Grin
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
November 05, 2015, 06:59:03 AM
Looks like we're living in interesting times again. Volatility beats stagnation, even if extreme volatility like now is difficult to trade precisely. Agreed?

Given the latest run up that broke (for a brief moment) all short to mid term trend deviations I track, I would say the market bias has changed (compared to, say, November last year), and the mid-to-long term bearish scenarios favored by some in here are becoming less likely, i.e. printing a new LL by crash or decay back to 1xx, or even briefly double digits (you know who you are, hehe). I considered these scenarios relatively unlikely already for the past few months due to the January volume, but even less so now.

That said, given how brutal (and frankly, ridiculous) this run-up was, I think an (almost) equally brutal reverse move is possible, if not likely. In (subjective) numbers, I'd put a re-test of 300 in the range of 0.3 to 0.5 likelihood, based on the enormous amplitude of this swing so far, and a breakdown and "secondary" capitulation into the 200s not much lower than these numbers.

Aside: I don't practice EW (although I can see its merits), but instead I tend to look at the market mostly from a momentum perspective ("momentum" in the traders' jargon sense of 'positive autocorrelation', not the finance sense of 'cross-sectional correlation')
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
November 05, 2015, 06:43:23 AM
Thanks for all the insights Master.
Best thread on btctalk ever(linguistic puzzles and riddles included).
We eagerly await your resurrection!
All hail Luc
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
November 05, 2015, 06:40:04 AM
Yes, come on back, Masterluc!!!  

What did Winston Churchill say?  Never, Never, Never give up!!!   Angry Angry Angry

Now's the time you have to get fighting mad and chew the charts a new arss.
Activity: 615
Merit: 500
November 05, 2015, 06:32:54 AM
analysis never ends.  Grin

master...... we're almost back to the price you sold at.. you havent missed the rocket launch. come back!
Activity: 642
Merit: 500
Evolution is the only way to survive
November 05, 2015, 05:51:11 AM
 Roll Eyes  Analysis ended ? No , it's just the beginning  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057
bigtimespaghetti.com
November 05, 2015, 04:32:19 AM
Missed the last few pages, but this has been a great thread. Very insightful. We all look forward to your re-emergence masterluc.
Activity: 238
November 05, 2015, 04:20:40 AM
Of course it may pop at some point, then recover, but there wasn't even 4rd wave since 240. All this is the local 3rd.

Anyway, this is above my skillz. I waited this great 3, it comes suddenly. I quit. Bye guys. Analysis ended.
But family wanna eat ?!
Maybe some other type of analysis will fit BTC' moves better ?
legendary
Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000
☑ ♟ ☐ ♚
November 05, 2015, 03:25:13 AM
Thanks Master for the great thread! I hope, you don't quit.
Activity: 870
Merit: 585
November 05, 2015, 03:16:09 AM
We can continue to build on the base of sober analysis established by masterluc.  For me, it has been a real pleasure following the level-headed commentary in this high quality thread.
I am going to throw out an idea that I am developing for my own use that can help bring discipline to one's trades and perhaps take some of the emotion out of things.  I am pursuing a Shannon balancing strategy, modified slightly to accommodate my financial position, and take into consideration some of the things I (think) I have learned about the bitcoin market in more than two years of trading experience.
At its most basic, the strategy entails maintaining a position half btc and half fiat through periodic rebalancing.
Consider entering a volatile market at time t(0) and price x(0).  You pursue a Shannon rebalancing strategy until time t(1).  If the market has returned to price x(0) at time t(1), you will have made a profit, unless trading fees are high and you made too many trades.  You avoid this problem by rebalancing only after significant price moves.
Let's say you enter a market by purchasing some commodity with 50% of your liquid assets.  Price drops by half.  You rebalance to 50% commodity, 50% fiat.  Then the price doubles, you rebalance to 50% again.  Your will have made a profit of 12.5% -- despite the fact that the commodity's price is the same as when you entered the market. This is disregarding trading fees.
By the same token, if the price doubles, and then halves, you would make a profit by rebalancing.
So Shannon beats holding, with the caveat that in a long term uptrend, holding beats Shannon, particularly if the market has low volatility. With bitcoin, we have both: long term uptrend and high volatility.
The Shannon strategy can be modified to take into account bitcoin's long term uptrend, profiting from short term fluctuations and long term appreciation, both.  It's surprisingly simple to do so.  But it requires careful thought and judgment to set the parameters.
Jump to: