Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANALYSIS] Altcoin Investing - page 4. (Read 41067 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
February 05, 2014, 07:37:15 PM
I don't understand why you said that Cryptogenic Bullion is reliable coin !
Seriously, it have the worst name of all, and this coin is quite the same than many other cryptocurrency.

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030
February 05, 2014, 05:16:23 AM
the community's behind these coins and the devs and they are really dedicated and in it to win it.

Yeah, that's a great indicator for a coin - maybe the best . . . long term interest of community and devs.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002
Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.
February 04, 2014, 08:46:49 PM
well i got me self  over 5k of CGB and im happy because the community is alive with great ideas, and innovations and the DEV's are very impressive, i have a lot of quark already so no need to worry about them, some others to keep your eyes on are DMD and BTG i hold both and i have been watching the community's behind these coins and the devs and they are really dedicated and in it to win it. big things to come for BTG, CBG,DMD, and QRK and  not just saying that because i hold these coins in large amounts, i have many coins in large amounts i have never mined a single coin, every one i bought, i'm currently the largest holder of DMD and one of the largest holders of BTG, CGB and top 100 wallets of QRK and i bought all these because i saw the potential, don't miss out on these, not bragging, but i have already made a considerable amount of money, and i hope that everyone here can, but your not going to make it in dogecoin, im sorry doge supporters, but it's a fad, it's like beanie baby's it is not going to stick around, and no serious business is going to use them, we are coming up to a time in this world, where people will be struggling to keep a roof over there heads, doge is going to loose it's funny appeal very quickly, and the only crypto's that will survive are ones that can be a store of wealth like gold and silver, and maybe, maybe a few that can be used as an actual currency, my advice get out of doge while you still can, and if you don't, don't say you were not warned....
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
February 04, 2014, 06:46:19 PM
how did you work out the inflation rate for each coin?

thats just simple math; coins produced per day * coin value

The inflation rate is even simpler than that, it is just coins produced divided by coins outstanding. You don't even need to know the value.

sometimes..... keep it simple stupid Wink
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
February 04, 2014, 06:40:13 PM

The inflation rate is even simpler than that, it is just coins produced divided by coins outstanding. You don't even need to know the value.

Activity: 238
February 04, 2014, 06:20:42 PM
Freetrade

What is your definition of inflation and how did you work out the inflation rate for each coin?

Money supply inflation.

then you only have to look at run time of total coins; example BTC ~ 2040 for last mined blocks.

if you then count that (money needed per day * 365 * running years) you get an estimate of money needed to keep up with the coin value.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10
February 04, 2014, 08:29:54 AM
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
February 03, 2014, 03:39:36 PM
Freetrade

What is your definition of inflation and how did you work out the inflation rate for each coin?

Money supply inflation.

legendary
February 03, 2014, 02:45:23 PM
Freetrade

Money supply inflation.
legendary
Activity: 924
February 03, 2014, 09:16:17 AM
Freetrade

legendary
Activity: 1260
February 03, 2014, 06:43:11 AM
At $300 each that's only $1.8 million worth of GPUs to run a 51% attack.

Really, that's all I need to attack Dogecoin is $1.8 million dollars in r9 290 video cards?

How much did the 9/11 attacks, or alleged government patsy attacks (pick your choice), cost again that destroyed several financial institutions at the same time?  $5 for a box cutter?

I wonder if the neighbors will notice $1.8 million of r9 290 fans running in my house.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
February 03, 2014, 05:52:41 AM
This might be the most ridiculous view of the proof of work system I've ever seen.  If you're running a proof of work coin with no reward for mining it, you have 0 security for your blockchain.  Who cares if it doesn't have inflation when nobody is going to keep the block chain up.  No distributed  block chain security = no acceptance.  

You criticize Dogecoin about coin count, yet Dogecoin is one of the FEW coins going with a system that makes sense for PoW.  They're changing to two minute block times and 2.5% inflation per year.

This suffers from exactly the problem you describe in your first paragraph. The market cap of DOGE is about $50m. With 2.5% inflation that's only $1.25m per year in mining costs. Ignoring ASICs, that's only 6000 250W GPUs at $0.10/kWh. At $300 each that's only $1.8 million worth of GPUs to run a 51% attack. At some point soon there might be 6000 GPUs on Amazon Web Services available for well under a dollar an hour. Someone who wants to vandalize the network for whatever reason could do it for under $1000.

Not going to work.

Low inflation rate can only work if the coin has such an enormous market cap that transaction fees can support the network. That might be BTC in some hypothetical future. It will not work for any of the altcoins, other than perhaps by defining "work" to mean limited supply and rapid short term speculative gains. I won't use the cliche three-word phrase, but that's really what you're talking about here.

Activity: 120
February 03, 2014, 01:23:22 AM
why not peer coin? It is currently on 4th at the list, should worth a mention.
Activity: 33
February 02, 2014, 05:47:04 PM
I completely agree with your analysis on Cryptogenic Bullion. I think that coin is terribly undervalued with the scarcity and advantages.
legendary
February 02, 2014, 03:45:48 PM
You criticize Dogecoin about coin count, yet Dogecoin is one of the FEW coins going with a system that makes sense for PoW.  They're changing to two minute block times and 2.5% inflation per year.  

Yeah, those are better values. Are they planning a fork? I based my commentary on the published values.
legendary
February 02, 2014, 07:13:19 AM
If you're running a proof of work coin with no reward for mining it, you have 0 security for your blockchain.  Who cares if it doesn't have inflation when nobody is going to keep the block chain up.  No distributed  block chain security = no acceptance.  

Yes - there's a balance between too little going to miners (no block chain security) and too much going to miners (rampant inflation) - you want something in the middle.
legendary
Activity: 1260
February 02, 2014, 06:13:29 AM
Yeah, that's a good article and I was influenced by it early on. However, I don't think he takes inflation into account . . . he's talking about Bitcoin as if they are shares that are 100% issued already . . . but 50% of Bitcoins are still to be mined, so to reach those levels in the short time, trillions of dollars have to flow into Bitcoin . . . if there was 0% inflation already, it could reach those levels much more easily because only small numbers of Bitcoins need to be traded at those high levels.

This might be the most ridiculous view of the proof of work system I've ever seen.  If you're running a proof of work coin with no reward for mining it, you have 0 security for your blockchain.  Who cares if it doesn't have inflation when nobody is going to keep the block chain up.  No distributed  block chain security = no acceptance.  

You criticize Dogecoin about coin count, yet Dogecoin is one of the FEW coins going with a system that makes sense for PoW.  They're changing to two minute block times and 2.5% inflation per year.  That number is a little high and I would personally use something like 1%, but this means people will always be mining it and keeping the network distributed and secure.  Please don't tell me your solution to this problem is checkpoints....
legendary
Activity: 1274
February 02, 2014, 05:01:28 AM
can we keep this awesome thread to minimal promotion, and more analysis basis. break downs of the three main subjects the OP started with or futures suitable to brag.

enough with the "my coin has bigger pennies"  Wink

kthnxbuy
Activity: 98
To The Moon!
February 01, 2014, 09:55:34 PM
nice analysis. thanks
Activity: 840
February 01, 2014, 09:37:13 PM

Those mentioned are not 2nd gen cryptocoins, don't be a fool! They are either minor variations on already existing cryptocoins (NXT
and clones are PPC + NMC done with Java) or totally depend on existing cryptocoins which they actually make more cool (MSC and all
others). eMunie? Nothing new. You need to analyse things a bit more for yourself and not fall so easily on sale pitches and propaganda.

And you need to stop spreading utter nonsense. Even if you don't like them cryptos like NXT do bring new things to the table. Progress is good.
Pages:
Jump to: