Pages:
Author

Topic: Anarchy =~ Communism - page 4. (Read 9682 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
June 30, 2011, 04:50:36 AM
I think you are two different people.

There's no way you can be this rational one moment and as irrational and troll-like the next.

Edit: Or maybe.... You're actually Satoshi, testing us? Wink
Wink

Or maybe both you, myrkul, and smellyBobby are satoshi...

To Paraphrase Valentine M. Smith, Thou art Satoshi. Wink
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin
June 30, 2011, 04:44:50 AM

There's no way you can be this rational one moment and as irrational and troll-like the next.

Wink

Or maybe both you, myrkul, and smellyBobby are satoshi...
June 30, 2011, 04:38:37 AM

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
June 30, 2011, 02:37:14 AM

Basically, I don't think we are going to learn anything from this island model because we can make it as arbitrary as we choose.  Smiley

I agree with the arbitrary part.

However misusing words is common in this forum. I don't think anyone can disagree with that. And we can not have fruitful discussions without an adherence to the definition of words.

The island model is a simple conceptualization of possible human interactions. Use the island model to reach a point of understanding over words and ideas. We can use the island model to clearly distinguish our differences over certain types of human behavior.

The island model can then be used to justify why one outcome is favorable over another in terms of human behavior.

Of course the island model will never be able to capture every aspect of human behavior, but what model can? At the moment half the content on this forum is disputes over what words mean. If we can't come to an agreement over words then what is the point in using words?

A few things on the island.

An island obviously represents an isolated community. It shows how one outcome in one community can dramatically effect the welfare of others.

The island model should be used to separate ideas into two different levels. The micro level of the individual and the surrounding the community and the small community interacting on the macro-level. By distinguishing between the levels it is simpler to build a statement and show the reasoning behind the statement. Disagreement can be shown in terms of levels. By distinguishing the two levels it can be shown the outcome of one level upon the other.

If statements are going to be expressed in an imperative mood then the island model should easily show correctness. Otherwise it is likely the statement is false.

The island removes the idea of government and reduces coercive force to minimums. I have shown how authority arises from an innocent situation. We disagree on is the likely-hood of such a situation and its relevance. What we are really disagreeing on is a fundamental aspect of human nature, how a small component of the individual shapes the entire community. And this is good IMO. This shows where we disagree, and can walk away. Also historical literature can be used to justify one outcome over another.

The island is an important abstraction until there is better agreement over word definitions. Consequently I think it should be refined and used more.
June 30, 2011, 01:32:23 AM
Basically, I don't think we are going to learn anything from this island model because we can make it as arbitrary as we choose.  Smiley

Also: Yes, Arbitrary model is arbitrary.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
June 30, 2011, 01:16:49 AM
Assuming that they do not engage in an age of colonization Wink . Like the British, French, Spanish, etc.

Driven by greed and the need to increase profits, the 5 in-control train their slaves for war. They go on expeditions to conquer the other islands so they can have more slaves and get more coconuts.

Back where we are today, descendants of exploitation and slavery.

But suppose that one of the five people on the free island is a former  special forces Marine who believes in anarchy.  He offers his protection and arbitration services to anyone who will pay for it.  The Others are afraid of him because he has a tatoo proving he's completed the 9th order of the Proving so they leave his clients alone. 

Oooo... That book looks nice.

I think you'll enjoy it.  It's the authors first professional publication so the writing is a little stiff at the beginning, but I thought it developed nicely.  Well worth the read, IMO.
June 30, 2011, 01:07:33 AM
Assuming that they do not engage in an age of colonization Wink . Like the British, French, Spanish, etc.

Driven by greed and the need to increase profits, the 5 in-control train their slaves for war. They go on expeditions to conquer the other islands so they can have more slaves and get more coconuts.

But suppose that one of the five people on the free island is a former  special forces Marine who believes in anarchy.  He offers his protection and arbitration services to anyone who will pay for it.  The Others are afraid of him because he has a tatoo proving he's completed the 9th order of the Proving so they leave his clients alone. 

Oooo... That book looks nice.
June 30, 2011, 12:45:15 AM

June 29, 2011, 10:22:23 PM

June 29, 2011, 10:01:58 PM
But this example only needs to occur once, then we are back where we are today.

No, then we have an empty island, ripe for re-colonization from the other islands. Survival of the fittest.
June 29, 2011, 09:43:00 PM
We rely on basic human greed to ensure that at least one will always undercut the others, and the NAP to ensure that the others don't beat him up for it. That's a distinct oversimplification, but, there it is.

But if that doesn't happen today, why would it happen in an AnCap society? Oligopolys are broken up regularly.
It seems that basic human greed is what creates an oligopoly, not breaks up one.

Well, he did make the example outrageously restricted. The more people in the equation, the more likely it is that someone will come along who is willing and able to charge less/pay more.

Sure, I did make the example restrictive.

Take 5 islands for example, all with the 5 people. I would say that it would be reasonable to think that the scenario I outlined would occur on one of the islands. However over an extended period of time, humans driven by their greed would result in at-least 4 of the 5 islands enslaving any new-comer.

But this example only needs to occur once, then we are back where we are today. Some people at the top who have control of essential resources enslaving everyone else. Colluding between themselves for the slaves.
June 29, 2011, 08:32:46 PM
I think the Federal Reserve may be an example of the government "breaking up" an oligopoly and replacing it with a monopoly.  The Federal Reserve Act was written by a bunch of bankers to give themselves a monopoly on the banking system and passed by the government.

Of course! I neglected government and pseudo-government agencies!

The FED replaced the system of independent banks.
The US Military replaced the individual (and occasionally private) militias.
I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of any off the top of my head.
June 29, 2011, 08:20:22 PM
I think the Federal Reserve may be an example of the government "breaking up" an oligopoly and replacing it with a monopoly.  The Federal Reserve Act was written by a bunch of bankers to give themselves a monopoly on the banking system and passed by the government.
June 29, 2011, 07:16:22 PM
I'm not going to let you skip out on this one.

'let me' ... you're funny.

As it happens, I couldn't find any oligopolies that were broken up at all. The closest I could come is Standard Oil, which wasn't even a monopoly, really. So, I retract my previous statement, and replace it with this one: The government is completely inept at breaking up oligopolies.
Activity: 154
Merit: 103
June 29, 2011, 06:21:55 PM
re·gion/ˈrējən/Noun
1. An area or division, esp. part of a country or the world having definable characteristics but not always fixed boundaries.
2. An administrative district of a city or country.

"100'x100'", huh?

Still waiting for you to provide evidence for your statement that oligopolies are turned into a monopoly through government break up.

I'm not going to let you skip out on this one.
Activity: 378
June 29, 2011, 05:58:56 PM

Because once you set those laws up, businesses often lobby to change them to their favor. Here's a chunk of text from Machinery of Freedom:

'Wall-o-text'-deleted.

It's from reading the occasion news article like this RIAA lobbyist becomes federal judge, rules on file-sharing cases which makes me believe the process is still common today.

If it's that easy to change the rules you need a stronger government, not a weaker one. I don't understand your way of thinking. "The companies have a hard time following the rules, so let's just remove the rules". How does that help?

The second sentence is a good example of a bad practice, and something that shouldn't be allowed. I've expressed that view before, although perhaps not in this thread.
June 29, 2011, 04:59:17 PM
re·gion/ˈrējən/Noun
1. An area or division, esp. part of a country or the world having definable characteristics but not always fixed boundaries.
2. An administrative district of a city or country.

"100'x100'", huh?
June 29, 2011, 04:47:06 PM
In order for me to prove anything to you, We'll need to share a language. And while all the words you use are English, I don't think we define most of them the same way.

Well of course, because you make them mean whatever you want them to mean to suit your current argument.

I use only the commonly accepted defintions which can easily be found in any English dictionary.
June 29, 2011, 04:36:36 PM
In order for me to prove anything to you, We'll need to share a language. And while all the words you use are English, I don't think we define most of them the same way.
June 29, 2011, 04:25:09 PM
So AT&T was broken up into a bunch of small companies.  Cool story, I just have a couple questions.

1. How does that prove your point?

2. You said "most" broken up are replaced by monopolies... yet you only give one example.  Where are all the others to prove this "most" statement?

1. A regional monopoly is still a monopoly.

Ah, back to the semantics game.  I guess the McDonald's down the street from me is a monopoly because it is the only dining establishment located on that 100'x100' piece of ground. Roll Eyes

2. Here. [2] It's full of "break up the big monopolies into little, regional monopolies"

LOL at little monopoly.  There's no such thing.  They're little because they're not monopolies.

You said MOST oligopolies (not monopolies) are broken up and become a monopoly instead.  You still have not proved this. Show me an OLIGOPOLY (that's a GROUP of companies) that got broken up and turned into ONE BIG monopoly company.

Pages:
Jump to: